Resized_20191018_124633(2).jpg

Resized_20191018_125800(1).jpg

Resized_20191018_130817(1).jpeg

Marc RC pilot

image.thumb.png.07a3aec18e7732bf804d38866288d194.png

The man and machine 

Marc RC pilot

Tony

It's none of the above but I've seen this before, not in person, but somewhere which doesn't help one bit! It came we believe from the Peterborough club it's in really good nick anyways it's unusual and the Middle Phase will go to a new home shortly. 2920 on the inboard flap must be a BARCS number?

Tony

pete beadle

Hi Tony and Wookman

Definitely not an "Algebra 8", looks very much like the John Hall "Diamond" (120 inch version), John Hall made a lot of glass Algebra fuselages for Dick Edmonds but also  made a cross-tail fuselage rear for his own Diamond design.......he didn't like the Algebra 8's "T" tail.........prone to wobble..........I've got one in the loft, I'll see if I can get one of the ISA members to bring it down for me

The thing to remember about my heyday (70's, 80's, 90's) was there were a lot of one-man businesses around making polyester fuselages in small batches and combining designs for one design into another design. The pod and boom fuselage was a case in point, you used a carbon or glass rod blank and shortened it as necessary to cope with 100", 120" and even 140" wings,,,,,,the Proton was 140", down to the Facctor which was a 2 metre

I'm intrigued about the Algebra 8 on E-Bay though, especially if it's a pale blue fuselage like Sean's original, but don't forget Sean's had built-up wings with balsa ribs every inch, sheeted and glassed with 25 gsm woven glass "painted on " with epoxy resin, 1/2" alloy "ballast tube" spars and three six-gauge joiners BIG sweep-back and standard servos for the ailerons in the wings........I can't imagine this one on E-Bay can boast all of that:)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702 

Marc RC pilot

I wasn't even close ... :D 

Tony

Bit more info the span is 132", so it'll go nicely with my big Eliminator, tip panels are fully sheeted same as the inner panels. That's it for now

pete beadle

Hi Tony

Yes 2920 is his BARCS number, these are unique to each BARCS member and used for identification in comps with numbers that size

Perhaps Austin or PeteM could help us out as to whose number this is?

Where did you get it from?

I've been looking a bit more carefully at the fin on that pic - the easiest way to identify the Diamond was that it didn't have the fin moulding extending over the fin at the top..... this particular pic has a mark on the top of the fin that  makes me think it might be an Algebra 8 fuselage that has had the moulded section above the  fin removed by cutting it off in line with the leading edge of the rudder/trailing edge of the fin.......can any of you chaps see it? I tried enlarging the pic but it became so pixillated I couldn't make it out.......have you got a high-res pic Tony?

Then again, I wonder why the owner replaced the airbrakes on the upper wing skins  with inboard flaps? If they were deployed on the landing approach they'd probably blank out a fair bit of the airflow over the rudder.....and it is R/E so that could be important.........

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Marc RC pilot

Yes I noticed that mark on the fin Pete and also  the shape of the fin/rudder looks same as Algebra. I reckon it's a frankensteined variant of an Algebra 8

pete beadle

Hi MMD

Hardly Frankenstein dear boy! and after all Frankenstein was the doctor, not the monster:yes:.........anyhow.......

Herewith pics of my Diamond fuselage nose and fin/rudder.......so, .......looks like a Diamond to me.......what does everyone else think?

Also, I think the wings are not off a Diamond, the tip taper on the Diamond's wings are equal front and rear, these 134" wings have a greater taper on the LE, almost none on the TE. So it IS a bitsa, but not quite a monster! Mind you, it might be a modified Algebra 8 as well, we'll see if Tony can provide a high res pic so we can see......

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Diamond fuselage 004.JPG

Diamond fuselage 002.JPG

Tony

The fuselages look about the same. The only history I have is that it was bought from a Peterborough club member who used to fly contests. Perhaps the Winter series open contests? Here's some more pics I was sent none are high res unfortunately.  There's damage to the rudder which shouldn't be a problem and I think one, the main one, wing joiner is missing. Hopefully that shouldn't be hard to sort out. The rest I'm assured is good to go. The pic of the fuselage indicates, to me anyway, that time was taken when building as it looks nice and neat in there. If there's no marks for the CG it'll be sailplane calc time to work it out.  In my eyes it looks pretty good and a slightly different look which is appealing as well. 

Edit. The fin looks slightly different or is that my eyes? This wasn't in the old thermal soaring book was it? Lost mine ages ago but I'm sure I've seen a picture of this somewhere. It's driving me a bit nuts now lol

Resized_20191018_125014.jpeg

Resized_20191018_125746.jpg

Resized_20191018_130029(2).jpg

pete beadle

Hi Tony

A low res pic of the fin would be OK if it was a close-up, I/we just need to see if the rudder is one piece from top to bottom or if it has obviously been extended at the tip.

Like most people, I've got a copy of George Stringwell's magnum opus, any idea which chapter it's in?.....what part of the book even?

Oh, and I forgot to mention the sweep-back of the tips......definitely not a Diamond or an Algebra.....don't forget to factor the sweep-back in when you're calculating the CG:yes: 

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Tony

Kindness begets Kindness. 

I was at the BMFA/SAMs swap meet today really trying to sell off all my Free Flight models and paraphernalia as my health won't let me play anymore. It's funny what you think will sell well, then doesn't. So I ended up at the end of the day with two F1G Competition models designed and built by myself that were my absolute pride and joy and nobody wanted them apart from a slight interest from a chap whom I've already forgotten his name unfortunately. I ended up practically giving them to him with a stooge, F1B winder, a pound of rubber, a tracker, a scanner and God knows what else. I knew that he would fly them and more importantly enjoy them as much as I have.

Then a young Mr Beadle turns up after driving for two hours to solely to give me an Eliminator 100". Hopefully you'll read this when you're safely home. Really appreciated what you did today Pete and I really enjoyed our chin wag having never met before. Hopefully I'll see you up at the Beacon with her.

All in all a bl**dy good day and it's always nice having a chat with like minded people.

And I'm still no closer to identifying the model above!

Tony

pete beadle

Hi Tony

Great to meet you at Buckminster today, and thanks for the book and the plan. Hope you enjoy the Eliminator 100" as much as I did:thumbsup:

As you say, great chinwag, good to see "Murky" Knights as well, I hope he didn't tell you too much about me and my career in BARCS comps, that might have been really embarrassing! :)

and YES I did manage to get home without incident - but only just(!) as my eyelids were starting to droop a bit as I drove past Old Warden:yes: 

Keep well, and do take a close-up shot of that fin/rudder tip for us....I'm almost as irritated as you that we can't identify the what the b*gg*r is!

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702     

SilentPilot

I wouldn't get too worked up over what model it is...
It could be anything. It could have started as something then morphed into something else, be it following damage repairs or just plain (plane 😛) old trying to improve performance.

The ability to customise an airframe is a skill I wish I had.
Don't you think that it's all part of the beauty of kit building (or even scratch building)?

Tony

f3fman
1 hour ago, SilentPilot said:

I wouldn't get too worked up over what model it is...
It could be anything. It could have started as something then morphed into something else, be it following damage repairs or just plain (plane 😛) old trying to improve performance.

The ability to customise an airframe is a skill I wish I had.
Don't you think that it's all part of the beauty of kit building (or even scratch building)?

Tony

I don't think you understand his psyche if you are telling him  not to get worked up over it, he wants to know ......  because he wants to know   🙂

pete beadle

Hi SP

This particular investigation was undertaken at Tony's request, as you'll see from re-reading Tony's posts .finding out what it is is "literally driving him nuts" he says

I agree it's a "bitsa" but, as has happened in this case the search has been quite fruitful for people who know their Algebras

For myself earlier this year I've turned three heaps of wreckage that used to be Pike Superior airframes into one I have yet to fly this year, it has given me a lot of pleasure in doing this and I'll be very happy to do a write up on the maiden flight later this year......I like doing stuff like this, it's not doing anyone else any harm and it's giving me a lot of pleasure

It doesn't need much in the way of skill but I personally find doing it quite fulfilling

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Tony

I'm not worried in the slightest what it is. I like the idea of finding about it's history it's gives it a bit of character 

• Haha 1

Tony

There's a busted glider on the BMFA site going very very cheap for a Winter project

Reggles

The fuselage is very much like that of my Vega TS, which I believe was a Neville Mattingly design. However, my wings are 100” and foam core veneered.