Tony

2nd hand market, in general

Tony

image.thumb.png.c9f5f8636379051739a8ecbb485b7ec1.png

Tony

Check this link for above

https://rclibrary.co.uk/files_titles/2610/RC_Soaring_Digest_1987_01.pdf

Found by pure chance! The dimensions of mine aren't the same it's slightly smaller all over but looks very very similar. I haven't read the article yet as I was so excited lol

Having read the article there has to be a  direct link somewhere and mine is practically the plane published, I've asked on the e soaring forum as I believe the Haley family are still competing, I'm presuming this is the same family. 

Fingers crossed.

Tony

• Like 1

pete beadle

Hi Tony

Well found!

The Haley's, Bill and his son Steve used to compete with their own design models back in the day, yes,I'm glad to say they are both still competing in F3B and F5J but now usually with high-spec moulded stuff. They still appear here on the forum occasionally.......what you say looks VERY possible......1987 a "Silver Ghost V" eh!:):thumbsup::yes:

PS I see that the wing section is E193 and the span 150" - bigger than yours? and the tailplane section is Dunlop Green Flash - much used at the time!:)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

PeteMitchell
12 hours ago, Tony said:

I've asked on the e soaring forum as I believe the Haley family are still competing, I'm presuming this is the same family

The Haley familly are all still flying and are BARCS members. 

You will find  Bill's son Steve posting in the F5J forum and you could pm  contact him direct.

Tony

Thanks Petes'. A plural of Pete's! There is in my eyes anyways a similarity slightly smaller by 18 and a bit inches, an inch off the chord, two piece wing - as in mentioned in the article - and the ballast tube is there as well. The tailplane is lower than in the drawing but they were never accurate drawings. It feels like a pre production plane before the final article or just a smaller one for the hell of it, to many possibilities. E193 will probably fit, I'll print one later for a match, popular at the time. 

pete beadle

Hi Tony

I'm sure you are right, the main thing is you've probably discovered what it is, and it isn't a bitsa!

As I said before, well found! If it is a "Silver Ghost V" its a proven design with a good pedigree!:yes:

BTW Eppler 193 was THE airfoil at that time, it has a wide speed range and good all-round soaring capabilities, so it'll make a great sports plane

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Tony

Hi Pete

I'm pretty much convinced it's not a bitsa even if I don't get anymore info.  Checked Profili and E193 matches with no mods which makes a change as everyone had their own tweak to the airfoils of the day.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Steve Haley

Hi Tony,

Apologies for not picking this thread up earlier. The model in question is not a Silver Ghost although the wing construction and especially the trailing edge air brake system is the same as my fathers design which we developed on early F3B models. The fuselage does appear to be themed on Sean Banisters Algebra design as used for his F3b and 'Glass Elephant' cross country design. The wing section will almost certainly be E193 and the small amount of under-camber shows the original build quality as this was not easy to achieve accurately using the building techniques of that era.

The Silver Ghost 2 design was the next development on from my fathers first Silver Ghost model that won the Barcs Open Northern league in the early eighty's and contrary to popular believe, was the first open model design to use a solid aluminium / titanium round wing joiner that slid up the ballast tube on a two piece wing design. This was again innovation taken from our f3b model developments. The Sheffield club then went of to mass produce this wing joiner concept for their very successful open models as the Haley's moved to one piece wing designs and focused primarily on f3b.

I will dig out some old photos next time I'm at my fathers and post for some more nostalgia !

Cheers, Steve

• Like 1

Tony

Awesome Steve thank you very much for taking the time to reply. More than likely someone you flew against or even with appears to have picked up on your ideas to their advantage. E193 yes and like you've mentioned good skills to get that bit of undercamber in. Any details you've got for the Silver Ghost series would be great and I'm sure there's a few of us on here would enjoy a good read. Can't wait for the wing joiner details. Unfortunately in the heydays of the 80's and very early 90's I wasn't able to fly hardly due to work commitments so I'm catching up a bit! 

Cheers, Tony

• Like 1

pete beadle

Hi taggarc

Looks like a Vega TS (thermal soarer) kitted by Caldercraft back in the 80s - 90s, I used to use one as a backup to my Proton 140 in BARCS Open comps all those years ago.....if it has been built properly, and not crashed too often, it'd make a nice Christmas present for you!:thumbsup:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Reggles

I have to agree with Pete - Vega TS. It certainly looks very much like the one I have, although mine is the 100”, R/E version.

Tony

I did look at this but then thought I've too many not ready yet! Just finished off tittivating the Eliminator 100 Pete so hopefully the weather will break sometime next week and I can get her on the Hi Start with a bit of luck the 134 as well. Now need to bend some joiners up for the new old one then the Algebra. Always goes to the back of the queue the Algebra bless.  Then it's getting the thing with 4 motors ready to take some flying shots of them all. Talking of which that's something I've not seen for years, videos of thermal soaring. I occasionally catch a glimpse of the 100S models but alas not much else . It's F5J or nowt these days, flying pics that is.

Tony

Then again!   

taggarc
On 12/11/2019 at 18:12, pete beadle said:

Hi taggarc

Looks like a Vega TS (thermal soarer) kitted by Caldercraft back in the 80s - 90s, I used to use one as a backup to my Proton 140 in BARCS Open comps all those years ago.....if it has been built properly, and not crashed too often, it'd make a nice Christmas present for you!:thumbsup:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Pete - thanks.   I think I have given myself enough Christmas   presents already - though if anyone has a 2 meter motorised mouldie glider I could be tempted to have a word with Santa as it would be useful for flying from the back of the house ... ?

Tony

Weather is rubbish so I need to make some wing joiners for the recently acquired gliderAs can be seen there are 3 points, the two forward ones are 1/4" wire the latter sIMG_20191114_181912176.thumb.jpg.019bd6d09e7545e566fabcbdca4ab699.jpgmaller guage point looks to have been used as a locating pin instead of an additional 3rd complete joiner. Questions; Do I bend 3 complete joiners or do I bend just two 1/4" wires and leave the rear one as a locating pin? How do I bend the wires, a simple V or more of a U, as in diagrams. Do I need to put in a 1/8"  ply rib  inside the fuselage for support. Am I over thinking this but I'm a sod for getting everything 100% accurate. I've not measured what the angle is for the dihedral yet but it's lower than 8 degrees as I happen to have a couple bent at this angle.

I'll be using a very powerful bungee or tapping gently on the winch.  Thanks in advance again as usual.

Tony

image.png

pete beadle

Hi Tony

I thought we agreed that "joiner no 3" was the actuating wire for the brakes?......

IMO you need two simple "V" shape joiners, you don't need  a flat section in the middle, the width of the fuselage, nor do you need a ply brace INSIDE the fuselage - plain "V" shaped joiners adjust themselves in flight and a ply  rib fixing the joiner in the fuselage would not allow the joiners to centre themselves automatically

When you put too much power into the launch, the joiners should be able to bend and shed this extra power by increasing the dihedral, this is why 6 SWG piano wire joiners were used for so many years, their bending showed you that you were using too much power on the launch and their flexing solved the problem....then they sprang back to their correct dihedral...... 

Oh and BTW, you are NOT overthinking this, you're just asking for help in solving the problem(s) you think you may have......keep plugging away!:yes:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Tony
10 hours ago, pete beadle said:

Hi Tony

I thought we agreed that "joiner no 3" was the actuating wire for the brakes?...... No Pete this is in fact the 3rd thinner guage joiner. The 4th wire is the brake. But in this instance it appears as though they've been used as locating pins. This may be because if I made this full length it may get caught up on the flap mechanism/push rod. Won't know until I have a look now. so it's something for me to be aware of.

IMO you need two simple "V" shape joiners, you don't need  a flat section in the middle, the width of the fuselage, nor do you need a ply brace INSIDE the fuselage - plain "V" shaped joiners adjust themselves in flight and a ply  rib fixing the joiner in the fuselage would not allow the joiners to centre themselves automatically. V shaped it is then, much easier and quicker to do then

When you put too much power into the launch, the joiners should be able to bend and shed this extra power by increasing the dihedral, this is why 6 SWG piano wire joiners were used for so many years, their bending showed you that you were using too much power on the launch and their flexing solved the problem....then they sprang back to their correct dihedral...... 

Oh and BTW, you are NOT overthinking this, you're just asking for help in solving the problem(s) you think you may have......keep plugging away!:yes:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

That's it for now cheers for the advice

Steve Haley

Sliver Ghost photos as promised....fond memories!

IMG_1296 (2).JPG

IMG_1298 (2).JPG

IMG_1297 (2).JPG

IMG_1299 (2).JPG

IMG_1295 (2).JPG

• Thanks 1

Tony

Hi Steve

Awesome thank you very much and thanks for keeping your promise. They look gorgeous and even better that you made them to. Stunning lines.

Now were can I get the odd two or three as I'd have them in an heartbeat!

Ta again

Tony