GuyB

Take a moment

GuyB

Hi

I am an occasional contributor to this forum.   Tonight I left work at 6pm and with my family away for a few days and an 18 mph westerly. I packed my 1/4 scale Libelle into the car and went up to my local slope. 

Conditions were perfect. After 30 mins of flying and avoiding the setting sun I landed with full air brake onto the longish grass. 

The reason for this post is i think sometimes we all get a bit wrapped up in issues and problems and 40 mins with a scale sailplane as pretty as a Libelle reminds me why I love this hobby. So my challenge is not for this to trigger a debate about our dying hobby and how the government is going to put an end to it all but what is it about rc gliding that makes you smile? 

Guy 

138D3EA2-05D1-4BB1-B671-1C9557074BFA.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Marc Sinclair

Sounds like one of those "put things into context/perfect moments" GuyB...

Thanks for sharing.

Your post made me smile big-time  :)

👌

Mark Evans

If you ignore the media and forums and just continue flying then the hobby will never get stopped or die out.

• Like 1

pete beadle

Hi GuyB

I too used to have a big Libelle and also remember fondly its ability to take the sting out of a bad day

The thing that got me into this hobby and which  reminds me of this every time I hear it, is the (usually)squeaky voice of a youngster confronted with the sheer impossibility of soaring flight........saying, "What do you mean they haven't got a motor? How can they possibly stay up like this":yes::thumbsup::)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

cirrusRC

The rush of catching a thermal, especially low level - never gets old.

Flying takes a good degree of concentration which means you don't think about other worries.   Stood in the middle of nowhere with the sun on your face away from lifes stresses.  Happy to fly with others but also enjoy the isolation of it.

SilentPilot

Slope soaring is my "escape" too. I just love taking on Mother Nature and eeking out a nice flight. Be that models or full size!

Just lately though I'm getting more into R/E(S) gliders. I like to chat now with anyone who asks questions. Usually dog walkers.

Full house or even just Aileron gliders are a bit too demanding for me to hold a conversation with a stranger while flying, a RE on the other hand can pretty much look after itself while I have a chat :)

That Libelle looks fantastic by the way! I've got a Carmam 15/36 which I'd love a model of but I don't think anyone makes one. Converting a Libelle should be pretty easy though!!!

EssexBOF
12 hours ago, pete beadle said:

Hi GuyB

I too used to have a big Libelle and also remember fondly its ability to take the sting out of a bad day

The thing that got me into this hobby and which  reminds me of this every time I hear it, is the (usually)squeaky voice of a youngster confronted with the sheer impossibility of soaring flight........saying, "What do you mean they haven't got a motor? How can they possibly stay up like this":yes::thumbsup::)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Little bit off topic but I remember when I went with a group of friends, on a gliding holiday at the Bristol & Gloucestershire Gliding club, some one said to me they thought it was dangerous to fly in an aeroplane without an engine. My reply was that they glide a lot better than ones with engines, when the engine stops😀

• Haha 1

pete beadle

Hi SP

I'm with you on R/E!

Far too many models with 4-servo wings have little or no dihedral, and I find I'm constantly correcting for their skidding and sliding when straight and level.....they're great in "bumpy" days where you can correct their bump-induced banking in an instant but I like dihedral doing it for me automatically

I also like to chat with passers-by and sometimes act as the ISA's unpaid PR man when I hear them asking where local landmarks are......at Ivinghoe it's often the " golden fairy castle you can only see when the sun shines on it! (Mentmore House)" or the windmill at Pitstone........"the one you can pick up and move when the wind changes!".......great fun!:)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

• Like 1

GuyB

What is interesting is that within gliding there are so many disciplines that can suit mood and the weather. 

The enjoyment of soaring my MADres on a windless day using thermals only is different to tearing round an F3F in a stiff breeze, which is different again to flying my Libelle on a slope and trying to be as scale as possible. 

Plus we are in the county side. 

pete beadle

Hi GuyB

Then there's the enormous range of where to fly......flat field, slope, indoor, free-flight, R/C......or the type of 'plane......old scale, modern scale, moulded, foamie, with or without motor, on a pod, with a fan in the fus, gas turbine aerobatic, olde timers covered with tissue, rubber band power, Jetex, steam powered, (yes I HAVE seen one) on a simulator (does that count?).......and so on.....then, of course, there's the people you meet while you're out flying:)

I'm off for a lie down! 

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Nostalgia Day 001.JPG

Pete Stevens K6 my K8.JPG

DSCF0007.JPG