SilentPilot

Bad Weather Contingency Plans

SilentPilot

The weather has been awful lately. 
What else can we do?

I got myself a sailboat to take with my when I go float flying. If it's too windy for the plane then I sail the boat!

But what about rain???

I'm absolutely bored to tears now with setting up my DLGs indoors.
I don't get chance to build or repair anything, there is quite a queue forming too, ranging from a dab of hot glue to reinstalling aileron servos.
My little one gets all my time. I only get my play time when he's in bed!

Indoor helis and multirotors (can't stand the term "drone") can only scratch the itch for so long...

What else is there to do? (model related!)

Tony

cirrusRC

PicaSim.    My keep you interested for a few hours.

Sure feels like Autumn rather than summer right now.

SilentPilot

I never really got into sims. 

Used to like Phoenix for fixed wing and Real Flight for helicopters but since I've had my laptop fixed I've not reinstalled either...

Might have to dig one out again and put it on.

What is this PicaSim that you speak of? I'll check Google!

Is it possible to get an adapter so I can use my transmitter with the sim?

cirrusRC

Ikura

That PicaSim looks good. 

Does it run on a Mac?

mikef

Nice flying CirrusRC - are you using a Tx type input?  I can't cope on the tablet - no centering springs.

My fave bad weather fallback is air guitar.  You can pick one up on eBay for a tenner or less.....  After a few hours of practice I'm pretty confident on some of the Genesis repertoire.....

• Like 1

SilentPilot

I’m as good as Mr Lister at guitar. Air guitar included :D

Steve J
20 hours ago, SilentPilot said:

I got myself a sailboat to take with my when I go float flying. If it's too windy for the plane then I sail the boat!

Where do you fly off water?

Steve

cirrusRC

Mike that was the first Pica video I found so posted it.  Not me on the sticks.

Last time I dabbled with PicaSim, I did use it with a TX.

Jef Ott
16 hours ago, mikef said:

...My fave bad weather fallback is air guitar.  You can pick one up on eBay for a tenner or less.....  After a few hours of practice I'm pretty confident on some of the Genesis repertoire.....

I could never Hackett

SilentPilot
2 hours ago, Steve J said:

Where do you fly off water?

Steve

Leeds Liverpool canal.

I have to travel quite a way to get out of the LBA class D and FRZ so I don't want a wasted journey :)

SilentPilot
10 hours ago, cirrusRC said:

Last time I dabbled with PicaSim, I did use it with a TX.

How is this done? I can’t get to grips with the on screen controls, I’d love to be able to use my transmitter.

pete beadle

Hi SP

If you change to Aerofly Professional all your Tx compatibilty problems will just fly away.........

Dare I mention Microsoft Flight Simulator too....they have a similar format/compatibility solution and, between them, LOADS of gliders.....even a balloon to fly:)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

SilentPilot

I just had a quick search on that, I'm sober now so all is good, but I couldn't see any way to use your own transmitter. 

pete beadle

Hi SP

When you buy the flight sim you tell the shop which brand of transmitter you want to use, they include the correct lead (dongle) in the box, you load the sim on your PC then plug the lead into the charge socket of the Tx, you go to SETUP and calibrate the Tx by moving the sticks over all their ranges, in the order directed.

You start the sim, and confirm the sticks are going in the right direction(s), then press play and go flying........ 

Later on you choose the scenery you want to fly over, the plane you want to fly and so on.......easy peasy

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

John Minchell

I must be old fashioned or something.  When the weather is lousy for flying it means a day in the workshop.

There is always a build or six on the go and some repairs to do, or a refurb etc.  Building a CNC foam wing cutter and a 3 axis CNC router.

Never mind the other hobbies of motorcycling (which has the garage equivalent) - cleaning the bikes or rebuilding an engine etc..  Not enough time to go to work - too many hobbies and other interests

SilentPilot

I don't have the skills/time/patience to build anything. I barely get time to do simple repairs!

SilentPilot
11 hours ago, pete beadle said:

When you buy the flight sim you tell the shop which brand of transmitter you want to use, they include the correct lead (dongle) in the box, you load the sim on your PC then plug the lead into the charge socket of the Tx, you go to SETUP and calibrate the Tx by moving the sticks over all their ranges, in the order directed.

Hi Pete,

I've used this type before. I had a lead from the trainer port of my DX9 to use with the Phoenix Sim. Unfortunately my DX9 then suffered a failure due to static. There was, unbeknownst to me, an issue where use of the trainer lead this way could damage the unit.

Spektrum repaired and serviced my transmitter FOC and said it could now be used with Sims but I never will again. Just to be safe.

I did get a wireless 2.4 dongle that you can bind your transmitter to but I'm not sure where that is now... 

cirrusRC

SilentPilot.       PicaSim works with any USB Joystick.     (need OTG connector on Android).     Not sure what TX you have,   but the Taranis outputs directly from usb port so should work fine

I tried my dads Hitec A9 with the Pheonix USB converter but it does not work (as does not show up in Windows as a USB joystick,   I believe other usb converters from other simulators like RealFlight might work).

Instead you can use the free SmartPropopulus software and an audio lead  (from the trainer port of Hitec A9 into sound card on laptop/pc).   There is a video here that might help you.

SilentPilot

DX9. I’m not wanting to use the trainer port again :( 

Any buddy box instructing I do I use the wireless trainer. Much more convenient anyway!