Frsky Taranis X9D Pluse special edition/T9hobbysport

Marc RC pilot

Marc RC pilot

Just been window shopping/dreaming  for a new TX and came across the new Taranis Special Edition.

Has  upgraded Hall sensors on joysticks along with upgraded switches (and a DLG launch switch on left hand side top of TX), a menu wheel for faster screen navigation, increased range, removable antennae etc. Also uses the new *ACCESS protocol". 

https://www.t9hobbysport.com/taranis-x9d-plus-se-2019-2.4ghz-transmitter-taranis-x9d-plus-se-2019---night-blue

Seems like a fair bit of bang for buck, but I am still concerned about the build quality from past experience with my X9D plus standard. To be fair most issues I had with my one where down to user heavy hands. I think that the new upgrades should address past weaknesses ( gimbals, antenna, internal components like gimbal springs etc). Case still looks like cheap plastic, but money has to be saved somewhere I guess.

I hear it's early days for the new ACCESS protocol and first time buyers might be beat testers of sorts until any kinks are ironed out. I also hear we are going to be hit  by a Extinction Level Event meteor soon... :)

Also not sure if supports the Frsky G-RX6 receivers.

What do you ladies and gentlemen think?

image.thumb.png.ae8a446846d2b9c1ba8b83c0a38bb050.png

I couldn't be bothered to upgrade because of the cheap hard plastic case.  It just doesn't feel right ... way more work to be done there. Otherwise I like the look and think it is reasonable value for money 

Marc RC pilot

I hear what your saying about the cheap plastic case feeling taggarc, agree there for sure.

What do most soarers with mid to high-end gliders tend to go for and why (increased reliability/range/better components etc)? 

I appreciate that the different disciplines might mean different setups/requirements (DLG etc).

Funny as I was looking as well, I already have a 9D & 9DPlus, it's like you said it's the plastic that would put me off. I sold a brand new MZ-24 a while back, I didn't like the radio but loved the feel of it. Is the Horus the answer instead, dunno as I've never held one so don't know the feel. The specs of the new X9 appear great though.

Tony

I am reading mixed messages for the ACCESS protocol. While being sold as an improvement, the primary motivation appears to be to eliminate the possibility of other companies making receivers for FrSky users. Kind of ironic really, considering where they started...!

Anyway, I won't be moving over to ACCESS anytime soon. I believe the above transmitter is not available in the ACCST version.

Marc RC pilot

Hi Tony. That latest Horus looks so ugly imho.... but so do I and beauty is supposed to be only skin deep right? :)  

Thx for the head's up on the ACCESS protocol paulj. 

Seems like you either spend around £200 quid for something pretty high tech/capable, but if you want a quality TX casing,  one has to pay a hell of a lot more for it (?).

What are you mid to high-end flyers using as radio gear?   

And as a matter of interest, what is considered the cream of cream in RC units these days?

Marc RC pilot
1 hour ago, pete beadle said:

Hi Marc

Jeti DS16 Carbon Line(?).......real, futuristic design, uncluttered Tx face.........high enough price for you?

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Jeti Tx.jpg

1 hour ago, taggarc said:

Jesus....Thx chaps. Now that is a work of tech art...Beautiful. Love the LCD screen on top of TX and like Pete says: "real, futuristic design, uncluttered Tx face"...

Price is a tad over budget as expected, but a mere drop in the ocean for the pleasures/reliability it must surely bring.

16 minutes ago, paulj said:

Hey Pete - Personally I like the look of the DS-24, but in the meantime I will stick with my Taranis! ;)

image.thumb.png.5545fe9a39ee56422b6a901069d1db1f.png

See what you mean paulj

Access works well. G-rx6 has access fw. Frsky website shows you the rx’s that access fw for them, basically all the G and RX series as well as the R-XSR. 

The only thing not supported for it currently is companion, you’ll have to wait for opentx 2.3 to become stable or the nightly builds to add the 2019 X9D like they did with the X9 lite and the Xlite pro. So if you wanna load a template you’ll have to wait for opentx to add it I think. 

John Minchell

I'm glad I went to Multiplex 25 years ago.

All this messing around trying to get downloads etc. to work has no place in a rock solid Tx / Rx link and ease of configuring / functionallity.

To my mind there are only two systems without all the hassle - Jeti and MPX.

John M

• Like 2

On 19/08/2019 at 11:45, Marc Sinclair said:

What are you mid to high-end flyers using as radio gear?   

And as a matter of interest, what is considered the cream of cream in RC units these days?

Hi Marc

I totally agree with the above, the Jeti DS-16 Carbon line would be the pick of the lot. Problem is, how many people looking at a £237 Taranis X9D Plus SE can afford to rather buy a £1,500+ radio. 

Yeah someone could hold off buying something and save up for the best of the best, but its going to be a heck of a long wait. Plus, if you are anything like me, buy the time I came close to having enough I would end up spending it on a new glider and having to start from scratch again. :P

If I was looking at the Taranis X9D Plus SE and decided to save up for something else then my first choice would be the Graupner mz-16. At £630 it wouldn't take much longer to save up for and, as I currently fly on Graupner, I know how rock solid the connection is.

The mz-16 has a whole new user interface compared to something like the older mz-24 Pro that I currently have. It has all the functions the mz-24 era of radios from Graupner was lacking. Or there is the new mz-32 but at over £900 its starting to encroach on the price range of a Jet DS-14 with all the extra add on software you may want. 

Brett

Marc RC pilot
33 minutes ago, Brett82 said:

Hi Marc

I totally agree with the above, the Jeti DS-16 Carbon line would be the pick of the lot. Problem is, how many people looking at a £237 Taranis X9D Plus SE can afford to rather buy a £1,500+ radio. 

Yeah someone could hold off buying something and save up for the best of the best, but its going to be a heck of a long wait. Plus, if you are anything like me, buy the time I came close to having enough I would end up spending it on a new glider and having to start from scratch again. :P

If I was looking at the Taranis X9D Plus SE and decided to save up for something else then my first choice would be the Graupner mz-16. At £630 it wouldn't take much longer to save up for and, as I currently fly on Graupner, I know how rock solid the connection is.

The mz-16 has a whole new user interface compared to something like the older mz-24 Pro that I currently have. It has all the functions the mz-24 era of radios from Graupner was lacking. Or there is the new mz-32 but at over £900 its starting to encroach on the price range of a Jet DS-14 with all the extra add on software you may want. 

Brett

Hey Brett. Well I am 100% certain of wining Fridays lotto so price won't really be an issue for me... :)

By god that Jeti DS-16 Carbon line looks solid inside-out and such a thing of beauty (yes I am single...).

Thanks for head's up on the Graupner, will look into it. Also thanks for the life/buy/RC optimisation cycle explanation....so true...lol  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Marc Sinclair said:

Hey Brett. Well I am 100% certain of wining Fridays lotto so price won't really be an issue for me... :)

By god that Jeti DS-16 Carbon line looks solid inside-out and such a thing of beauty (yes I am single...).

Thanks for head's up on the Graupner, will look into it. Also thanks for the life/buy/RC optimisation cycle explanation....so true...lol  

No problem Marc, and "when" you win the lotto on Friday I will take a DS-16 Carbon in green thanks... :D

At least if anyone reads the thread and a Jeti is out their price range then they can take a look at the mz-16. In terms of spec and rock solid connection, I for one think it looks the dogs b011!cks... haha

Marc RC pilot
6 minutes ago, Brett82 said:

No problem Marc, and "when" you win the lotto on Friday I will take a DS-16 Carbon in green thanks... :D

And with all the extra trimmings, no problem m8! Let's do this thing...I'm going for the green also 😃  👍

• Haha 1

Marc RC pilot

Don't mean to sound rude, but I had a quick feel of the Frsky Horus X10S Amber colour today at my local field.

First impressions:  Liked the layout, shape and build quality. The colour LCD screen is a real treat on the eyes. The brown grip bits on sides work well.

Only downside for me was the weight. Ok if you are strapped in I suppose, but I can see how  for dlg flyers in particular, this might be an issue (like what rwhitt says about the Jeti DS 16 compared to the DS 12 ).

The chap who owned the Horus (in pic below) said that in high-insight he would have gone for the Graupner 16 (?) as it lighter and smaller with great solid functionality and a fair bit cheaper.

We certainly seem to be spoilt for choice these days :)

564967424_HorusX10s.thumb.jpg.f1e8d16aa70951b595bb5ff343fa1909.jpg

Excuse the million questions, but what do the DLG community use as TX in general?

Wouldn't it be easier/less restrictive to use those small PS4 looking gamepad TX's for DLG?