BARCS-ELG 1st September 2019

Nicholls

This is a 'BARTLETTS LEAGUE’ qualifier to be held on the SADMAC flying field (Sittingbourne & District Model Aircraft Club Kent see map below) 

The usual 3 classes of model can be flown, Open, 2Mtr and 100” (up to 2.6mtr allowed), and each can score points in their own Bartletts league. Please note that models must comply with BARCS class restrictions if you wish to also score in the appropriate BARCS Leagues.

2 entries allowed per pilot, but each entry must be with different class models.

AMRT (Height limiter) CAN be set to any height up to 300mtrs, but MUST be set with a maximum motor run time of 30sec.

Scoring as per F5J, i.e. a penalty of 3 points per metre but for launching over 175 metres   

BARCS rules allow one re-launch  in a Group,  and for an emergency re start if necessary.  

N.B. a re-launch  will be counted as a scoring flight. Motor re-start will result in a zero score for that Group.

Entry £5.00 payable on the day.

Please register your entry in this thread, 

I'll be the CD using GliderScore.

Any cancellation will be advised by Saturday 2pm at the latest on this post.

ENTRANTS all Open 2.4 unless otherwise stated

Nick Jackson

Eddy Small

Ian Nicholls

Mike Connell 

Bob Ryan

Garry Matthews

Alan Twine

Keith Fisher

Richard Harris

John Postle

Alan Harris 100"

Pete Mitchell

Mike Hodgkiss

Brian Martin 100"

David Yale 

Brian Austin

Terry Letchford

Bob Hope 

John Moyler

Steve Knowles

SADMAC Nearest ME9 9AU rev3.jpg

Edited by Nicholls
Entrants updated

The track to the field we will be using on Sunday is in poor condition, please take care not to drive too fast down the track otherwise you could end up with a suspension repair job. It is very passable with care.

• Committee Member
PeteMitchell

Please add me to your list Ian

Trusting you on the state of the field 😯

Cheers

Pete

steve knowles

Ian,

If it's not too late please can you add me to the entry

Steve Knowles - Open 

BARCS 608

BMFA 70799  

• Thanks 1

The is to confirm that the competition is on with 20 entrants and a good weather forecast.

SADMAC 1092019.jpg

Report and Results

BARCS ELG at SADMAC Sittingbourne field 1st Sept. 2019

We’re grateful again to SADMAC for the use of one of their club fields this one accessed by a rather long track before arriving at its beautiful location with views of yachts navigating the Swale on two sides. In the briefing everyone was reminded they had motors they could use in the event of a prospective wet or wrong side of the water landing!

Ian Nicholls the CD decided for several reasons before the event that only 5 rounds would be flown with a half hour lunch break and this proved to suit the conditions

Immediately after one launch a glider was heard and seen to be descending all but vertically to earth before there was a shout by more than one observer “Pull up” the errant pilot Mike Hodgkiss who had been mistakenly “flying someone else’s” glider duly did so with about 30m to spare. Thanks to its F3J origins it survived the pull out.

The sun broke through around 0830 so by the time the competition started there was lift around if you searched for it. The wind was slightly stronger and gustier than the forecast and many added a small amount of ballast. This proved to be a challenge in the afternoon when the sun went in and wind speed seemed to vary from minute to minute.

The competition ended with a tied 1st place between Brian Austin and Keith Fisher but in line with BARCS ELG rules the discarded score (drop one after 5 rounds) will decide the places on the day but both competitors will receive equal League scores. (I’ll take this chance to remind everyone of the Rule “In the event that this doesn’t provide a winner then a one round fly-off will be held”) Congratulations to both. Ian Nicholls was a slightly distant 3rd

Nick Jackson was presented with a special award (albeit non-alcoholic wine) by the CD as he was the only person on the day to achieve the rare maximum 9min 59s and 50 landing points on his final flight of the day.

Statistics

Of the 20 Groups flown, in 11 only one person flew it out, in 4 only two, and in 4 no one did including one where the longest flight was 5m 17s

It was a pleasure to CD not the least because I spent most of the day sitting in a chair.

Mike please add your much appreciated photographs you took on the day.

BARCS ELG 01-09-2019 Results p1.jpg

BARCS ELG 01-09-2019 Results p2.jpg

BARCS ELG 01-09-2019 Landing Results.jpg

• Like 1

I have had the Perfection for about 4 years now and never really flew it in a lot of wind.. It does not have ballast tubes fitted, so I had given some thought as to how to fit ballast if needed. Came up with loading the rear aperture in the joiner, which has two square holes, to slide in 1/2 " brass bar , cut to 4 off 3"  long pieces that can be slid in with a piece of pink foam in the end to use up the free space. Each piece weighs in at 100gramms, copper would be heavier from checking out weights

Edit should read 100 grams for each 3" length , 400 grams total