Paul Gleeson

Good source for quality balsa wood

Paul Gleeson

Finally getting back to building a balsa model that I have on the bench for more than a decade!

What suppliers you the group recommend?

Previously, I had a very good model shop where I could take my weigh scale and sort through sheets to get light ones. 

Thanks, Paul

mhodgson

SLEC are good. I get my stock at shows and can spend all time I need selecting. They are also pretty good on mail order.

Tony

Balsa cabin are good if you don't mind a wait. I've had quarter grain off them and was quite happy to wait until they had the competition wood in. Or go to Al's Hobbies in Milton Keynes. First time in the shop last week and lots of "Proper" wood in to fondle not too far from you. When I used to build Comp F/F model I would travel a 100 miles just to get the right wood. I'm lucky that I have a real modellers shop close buy it's only as big as my front room and the only competition for wood I have is the control line lads which is quite funny as to who gets the quarter grain first. Apologies for the elongated slightly off answer lol just remembering those halcyon days when models shops were a plenty. 

Tony 

• Like 1