Unknown Gliders - Anyone know what they are please?

Garioch Flyer

Garioch Flyer

I've obtained a couple of gliders and I'm trying to find out the manufacturer and model.   Both have extensive carbon construction.

The first one is a 1.5 mtr DLG with ailerons and an offset wing.  It has a slip on nose and closed loop rudder and elevator.

The second is a 2.5m pod and boom, rudder/elevator, thermal soarer with a 3-piece wing.  The wing has square carbon joiners and a full width spoiler in the centre section.

Anyone recognise them?

DLG.jpg

Thermal Soarer.jpg

I think the DLG with the two-piece wing was a model produced by Victor Isaenko in Kharkov, Ukraine and imported by South Coast Sailplanes.  I had one of Victor's catalogues that he gave me in Odessa at a Free-Flight Euro Champs in 2006 but I just spent a fruitless hour looking for it.....

The back end of the second one reminds me of a Blaster Mk 1 so I wonder if it's a Vladimir's models design?

• Like 1

Garioch Flyer

Cheers re the DLG, I'll do some research on that.

A friend has told me that the 2.5mtr is a Skip Miller Topaz, which seem to be correct.  Anyone else confirm that?

• 4 years later...

Hi Norrie,

Previous mention of South Coast Sailplanes rang a bell for me. As you know, I have one almost identical to your 1.5M DLG.  The above post jogged my memory about where i got it. I found the email from back in 2009 when I bought mine. It's called a 'Garnet' and was made by a now defunct company called Impres in Ukraine. While not as light as modern moulded DLGs it flies very nicely. I've flown mine as a DLG but as you know, with a hook added it also goes well off a bungee and is great on the slope in light winds.