Nick Jackson

Coaching session 14 Sept!

Nick Jackson

Colin Paddon and friends are offering a coaching session on electric-launch thermal soaring at the Tonbridge club field Sat 14 Sept - not to be missed!

This session  will be on roughly the same lines as the one I wrote up in my 'Want to improve your flying?' post 2 Sept but content is tailored to the needs of the people attending - you'll be very welcome and get a lot out of it whether you are a sport flyer who wants to improve / maybe thinking about maybe trying a competition for the first time or you're an experienced competitor.  If you couldn't make the previous session don't miss out on this one. You'll be asked to donate £10 to the Tonbridge Club's funds.

You need to book in advance - if interested, please let me know urgently, either on this forum or by email: whitstable.nick@outlook.com

[Anyone who's seen me fly: don't worry - I'm not involved in doing the coaching, just helping with the admin!]

Rayg

Hi Nick ,

Although I'm very interested in this, I'm afraid I can't make this one as I'm away till Monday. Hope the weather stays fine for it. 

gem

Hi Nick,

Having attended the first session I have nothing but praise for Colin and Graham, it was an excellent day.

However, on this occasion I will be away on hols so not able to take part. That said it is a perfect opportunity for others to take part and should not be missed.

Regards

Garry

• Like 1

John H

Count me in please, I'll see if I can get a car load from Ipswich

john h

• Like 1

mikef

I'm in see you there.  Is there a kick-off time?

I've not been to this site before - is the entrance here?

8B10E35C-DAC1-498F-AA46-7CFB05095E11.jpeg

• Like 1

Nick Jackson

Mike,

That looks like Leigh Park Farm entrance, yes. Directions are attached. 

Colin says:  'We plan on meeting up in the small car park opposite the oasthouse/pond at 10:00 ‘ish with a view to finishing around 3:30pm.  (We may have to move from there to a different field entry gate depending on cows/farmer etc).'

And he asks that anyone attending make a copy of their model memory in advance of the session. (Changes are very likely to be suggested and  good to have the copy to revert to if there is anything you don't like or something goes wrong.)

See you tomorrow, Mike. Places still available if anyone else wants to join us (but please contact me in advance - numbers have to be limited.)

Tonbridge_directions.pdf

mikef

Many thanks for this opportunity to get advice and practical help from the experts Colin, Kevin and Graham.  Perfect weather, a good site and a Spitfire flying over now and then - a great day.  The abundance of lift flattered our flying and I was often soaring with the buzzards when I should have been doing landing practice.  

Thanks for setting this up - I'll be back for more when I can!

Nice to meet Paul Newell again, up from the Isle of Wight.  We flew free flight together over 50 years ago.  I remember his Syncopator A1 design - I was scared of trying to build one - too many diagonal ribs!

8FC3CA2A-4894-4591-A859-3CF7684524A2.jpeg

• Like 2

John H

I would like to follow on from Nick’s write up “What did you learn in school today” with” What I learnt in school today”. 

These notes contain the main points that I picked up from the experts (Colin, Kevin and Graham) at the coaching event they ran at the Kent club on Sat 14th Sept.  These points apply to my model which is a home build of 3.9m span F5J glider.  As it is a unique model be aware that what was good for me may well not be applicable to all models although I’m sure the principles will apply.

The day was a mixture of one to one and group talks, following each one-one session we were given suggestions on set-up changes.

Below is a list of what I was advised to change and its impact.

Before flying I mentioned that my ailerons we not very effective.  By observation Colin deduced I had insufficient movement and too much differential.  I had been compensating for this lack of aileron response by a large amount of Ail to Rudd mix, this was reduced to a very small amount and the aileron movement increase by a good 50% and differential virtually removed.  On first flight the improved turning response was immediately obvious.  My understanding is that my aileron travel was just wrong, but the theory behind the very small amount of differential is that it helps maintain the lift during a turn, ie stops the nose dropping. The adverse yaw exasperated by the lack of differential is looked after with the Ail-Rud Mix.

Next came Snap Flaps, whilst I knew what they were their usage was a mystery to me.  Snap Flaps are the mixing of some camber in with up elevator (only up elevator, no change in flaps on down elevator).  The idea is that more lift is added to the main wing when up elevator is applied in a turn, again maintaining that flat turn. 

A combination of reducing the differential and snap flaps now has the model turning in a beautiful consistent circle without the continuous twiddling of the sticks.

Note that the above applies to all modes of flight except landing, during landing the rudder movement should be large and there be zero differential – all the control you can get is needed when flying slow!  Another idea to maintain control during breaking is not to use up Aileron as one would with traditional Crow breaking.

Finally, a CoG test.  I gradually removed the lead I had previously needed in the nose, the above allowed me to move the CoG 10mm rearward, I could probably have gone further but there was no more lead to remove.  The stability of the model during this shifting of the CoG was tested by a combination of test flying and the “dive test” method.

What a wonderful day, I never would have believed that the model could have been improved so much – especially after I spent all the previous day trimming it!

What more can I say, if they run another event – attend.

IMG_0590.JPG

• Like 3