DLG lauch procedure questions

Marc RC pilot

Does one launch the glider pressing/holding  the quick release button down (which gives a little up trim) and releasing it straight after launch once it has the right angle of attack (then elevator is set to neutral?) and then engage some kind of "penetration mode" once one has levelled out? OR is the penetration mode set straight after release to cut through the air and gain as much height with the energy/speed from throw to gain more height? 

Could someone be kind enough to explain this DLG launch procedure to me in simple-ish terms please

And what switches do you chaps assign on TX for the different flight modes (cruse, lift, penetration etc)?      

Cheers

Marc 

For most pilots:-

The model is launched with it set to pitch up (the momentary launch button/switch is activated before/during the spin).  The timing of the moment when the momentary button/switch is released is usually done by 'instinctive timing'.  Don't think about it too much just do it.  If the model pitches up too much, you can release the button sooner OR reduce the amount of up elevator that's caused when you press the button.  If it doesn't pitch up enough, hold on longer or use more control input.

I vary the amount of control input and keep the 'timing' the same.

The 'straight line' part of the climb is a separate flight phase/trim.  You can have this on a switch, set before launch and switched off at the top of the climb at or after the bunt.  At the top, bunt and move into the glide phase of your choice.  (I use a second momentary for the straight up phase so I don't forget to switch it out)

As to which switch(es) you use for flight phases, I use a switch that I can reach on the left without changing my left hand grip.  I’m right handed.  The phases are, straight up, best l/d, min sink and extra slow glide.  For penetration, I lean on the elevator stick.

• Thanks 1

Thanks a bunch for the explanations Mike!  

That all makes total sense the way you put it :)

What do you chaps use (flaps elevator rudder controls settings) for the " 'straight line' part of the climb"? And is that referred to as "the Zoom"?

I don’t think I have much, if any, more experience than you but for what it’s worth this is what I do:

Launch mode is activated by the push button and overrides every other mode. It only has slight Up elevator. Only experience will tell if you need any rudder too. 

I hold the button down while in the spin and release it just after letting the glider go. When it has achieved full climb angle. 

Other modes are on a 3 position switch. Usually Zoom (penetration), Thermal and Cruise. 

Pre-setting Zoom before launch means that once the button is released you are in the optimum mode for the climb. Neutral elevator and slight reflex. 

Thermal mode can have a bit of camber and personalised slow speed settings. 

Cruise can be just everything neutral. 

I look forward to seeing everyone else’s recommendations!

Tony 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Marc Sinclair said:

What do you chaps use (flaps elevator rudder controls settings) for the " 'straight line' part of the climb"? And is that referred to as "the Zoom"?

It will depend somewhat on your model.

Whatever your minimum drag setting is for flaps. Elevator trimmed for a straight path for that flap position.

You probably don't want any rudder (unless the model needs it for some reason).

With the Frickmann Taranis program the transition into this minimum drag "zoom" mode is automatic on release of the launch switch. Transition out of the "zoom" mode is automatic when you push over at the top of the climb (basically on a certain amount of elevator input). For other transmitters you might need additional switches or a timer approach.

Thank you Paul, much appreciated. 👍

It is quite amazing how all these digital TX's allow allows for such a myriad of launch/flight configurations and tweaking's and I did not realise how much DLG setups/launch procedures etc have evolved/specialized so...

1 hour ago, SilentPilot said:

I don’t think I have much, if any, more experience than you but for what it’s worth this is what I do:

Launch mode is activated by the push button and overrides every other mode. It only has slight Up elevator. Only experience will tell if you need any rudder too. 

I hold the button down while in the spin and release it just after letting the glider go. When it has achieved full climb angle. 

Other modes are on a 3 position switch. Usually Zoom (penetration), Thermal and Cruise. 

Pre-setting Zoom before launch means that once the button is released you are in the optimum mode for the climb. Neutral elevator and slight reflex. 

Thermal mode can have a bit of camber and personalised slow speed settings. 

Cruise can be just everything neutral. 

I look forward to seeing everyone else’s recommendations!

Tony 

Sorry Tony, I somehow missed your post. Thanks for info, really helpful and clear as a bell :) 

I think I know what happened. I started typing my reply pretty much straight away but then had to go pickup my little man from school. Couldn't finish until I got back, hence it looks like I'm late to the party! 

I'm watching out for top tips too. I'm a slope soarer by trade :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SilentPilot said:

It’ll loop right round and beat you up if you did that! 

It's obvious now I have read the thread but had not heard of 'zoom' before so assumed launch mode stayed until it had fully launched.

Yeah it can get a bit confusing. I’m still getting to grips with it myself!

Zoom mode is optional from what I gather though. It’s a mode to put you in a low drag configuration to get the most height from the energy built up in the spin.

The important thing is the push button activates launch mode which really only needs to be a touch of elevator. How much elevator to use and how long to hold the button down I’m still figuring out. I like the advice to use constant timing and vary the elevator throw to suit. I’ll definitely try that :) 

I hear you Beamer...I simple DLG'd my little Alula up at the right angle and pushed the nose down when near the top...:D 

It did work well... 😃 

One thing I noticed watching one of the comps at Buckminster is that the only thing in common with most DLG launches is the spinning around at the start bit!

People are using different models, different radios, different hands, and were physically different, so the launches all varied. I guess the best were all doing something right!

Do whatever works for you is what I say, all the videos/discussion in the world is no substitute for getting into a field, trying different radio setups and seeing what works for you.

• Like 2

So there are some real key fundamentals to increased launch height..
1.  Do not throw the model up, as this is more an underarm throw.  You need more of an over arm throw to generate power so you need to feel like you are throwing it to the horizon.
2.  Make sure that your body isn’t rotating in one movement.  Think of  either throwing a ball or skimming a stone, the hips rotate towards the target even before the arm moves, followed by the torso and then the arms.  This is called ‘LAG’ the larger the displacement of the hips opening and facing the target to the arm starting to move the more speed you generate, speed=height.
3.  Increase the lag by focusing on leaving your arm back as far as you can and as long as possible before the hips face the target, then you can ‘whip’ the arm through last. Do half launch drills where you do not spin but keep the feet in the launching position and then move the model back behind you, this way you can focus on the lag.
*Be careful here as the model will be accelerating from zero you need to feel like you are pushing it away from your body otherwise you might catch your wingtip on your hip or ****.
4.  RELAX!  You will loose all the lag if your muscles are tight.  Easy to feel this by moving your arm back as far as you can then tense up.  Your arm will automatically try to come back round to be inline with your shoulders.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/09/2019 at 22:38, Neil Harrison said:

So there are some real key fundamentals to increased launch height..
1.  Do not throw the model up, as this is more an underarm throw.  You need more of an over arm throw to generate power so you need to feel like you are throwing it to the horizon.
2.  Make sure that your body isn’t rotating in one movement.  Think of  either throwing a ball or skimming a stone, the hips rotate towards the target even before the arm moves, followed by the torso and then the arms.  This is called ‘LAG’ the larger the displacement of the hips opening and facing the target to the arm starting to move the more speed you generate, speed=height.
3.  Increase the lag by focusing on leaving your arm back as far as you can and as long as possible before the hips face the target, then you can ‘whip’ the arm through last. Do half launch drills where you do not spin but keep the feet in the launching position and then move the model back behind you, this way you can focus on the lag.
*Be careful here as the model will be accelerating from zero you need to feel like you are pushing it away from your body otherwise you might catch your wingtip on your hip or ****.
4.  RELAX!  You will loose all the lag if your muscles are tight.  Easy to feel this by moving your arm back as far as you can then tense up.  Your arm will automatically try to come back round to be inline with your shoulders.

I have just returned from the first proper session with the Hawk and have the following questions and observations. To set the scene it was 14 deg, overcast, 5 mph wind. Model balances exactly on the 55mm cg and trimmed straight and level:  I found straight away that i dont need any up at all in the  Frickman Launch mode as even with the model launched at shoulder height and at the horizon it climbs at 70 degrees. In fact to gt it to about 50 degrees it need elev down  trim.  Is this normal for the smaller DLG?  Any sniff of up on launch puts it into a loop . Obviously being a novice DLG launcher and nearly 70 I dont expect an Olympic medal launch but I can hit a golf ball 160 yards with a 7 iron so not completely knackered.  I think I am only  getting about 10 meters so if I cant improve is it worth continuing?  In other words what average  height is needed to get reasonable flights given a bit of lift?

I too struggle with getting any meaningful launch height. 

Luckily for me though there are frequently birds circling at my flat site. Gulls lower down and Buzzards or Red Kites higher up. 

I tend to wait until a group of gulls get close enough that I can walk over towards them and throw into them. 

Probably a bit naughty (though I must say I’ve never hit one) but it’s the only way I can climb away :D 

I use overhand throws with my Weasel and thanks to the finger hold I get higher launches than side arming my Alula.