Sign in to follow this  
pete beadle

Mystery Glider 2

pete beadle

Hi all

I'm hoping someone can help me to get some info on a glider I've just had "donated" to me FOC

It's a rudder/elevator glider of 140" span (two panels of 68" plus 2" width of fuselage) It looks very much like an Eliminator, but slightly larger (than the 134)

Thing is, it looks like someone has modified the fuselage by bolting a separate centre panel to the top of the original fuselage - see pic, and I don't know if the original owner was doing this mod, or if a subsequent owner was.

It has a name and address label on it which states "Mr and Mrs Holmes of Kent (I have a road name, village and postcode also (but will not reveal this without the owner's permission) and a BARCS membership number, which is 2886, for who may or may not be the original owner

So, any help would be very welcome as I am just starting a full refit, because I really like the look of it........so, please PM me if you can help me

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702 

Mystery plane 2 001.JPG

MMD

Edited by Marc Sinclair
Deleted my Sherlock Holmes joke.

pete beadle

Hi Marc

Try harder to resist!:(

Pete

BARCS 1702

MMD

Sorry Pete, I saw the Holmes reference and my humour got the better of me. Apologies if I offended you in any way m'old fruit.

paul w

More photos please Pete.... how about the village name too? Can't do any harm can it?

Eric F might be a useful font of knowledge on this one.

pete beadle

Hi Paul w

I agree, it shouldn't hurt - It's Gillingham

I was wondering if I should go down the BARCS membership number on the wing route - 2886 - that's a reasonably old one (mine being 1702) Could PeteM or Austin be able to help? - please..... also I was thinking Tonbridge Club(?).

I was going to take some "before and after" pics of the resto once I found out its name:yes: but it is VERY like a bigger Eliminator 134:)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

pete beadle

Hi all

No sooner the word than the deed - more pics

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

001.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

paul w

Ken Holmes of SADMAC perhaps?

http://sadmac.org.uk/about-us/

(first b&w picture, bottom row second in from the right?)

Model looks a bit like a Diamond Cloud, but didn't they have wings that plug in from

the side?.... it's probably a bitsa!

pete beadle

Hi Paul w

Yes, it's I agree it's probably a bitsa because of the bolted on wing mounting, also there were very few plans or kits around in the past (70's 80's?) that were 140" span rudder/elevator competition models, but I think it would be good to know what this model actually is, wouldn't it?

The Diamond Cloud was 120" span but it was also designed by John Stevens so, perhaps this is the "big 'un" that he never kitted, stranger things have happened:)

Let's see if someone else replies, we haven't found out whose BARCS number this is yet, have we? It's still early days.........:thumbsup:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

• Like 1

simon_t

Paul Holmes is trying to get hold of you Pete.  I will message you his details.

Simon

• Like 1

pete beadle

Hi simon-t

Thank you, I have received your PM and replied to it

Please feel free to pass on my e-mail address to Paul

Thanks and regards

Pete

BARCS1702

ceebee

Hi Pete,

Did you not get my message which included Pauls email address and a picture showing him with the model?

SilentPilot

Are we getting any closer to I'ding this?

That block the wing mounts to looks like something I'd do if I wanted to attach different (probably longer) wings to the fuselage.
Caught myself thinking that flap looks like a barn door... then realised that was the leading edge!!! 

pete beadle

Hi all

Well it had to happen some time!

The Mystery Glider is finished and will soon be renamed "The Les Wilson O/D".......(O/D for own design ) of course.......Les being the designer, builder and original owner of this really impressive 'plane

Can't wait for the first day of "trimming weather" available on the Beacon.........it's been fun to re-furb, let's see how she flies!:thumbsup:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Mystery glider 1 006.JPG

Mystery glider 1 008.JPG

Mystery glider 1 018.JPG

• Like 3

Tony

Absolutely cracking looking model Pete

SilentPilot

Agreed!

It looks to have a very similar wing to my 4m 'Christmas Cracker', but on an Algebra fuselage :)

pete beadle

Thanks Tony

Not my design of course (Les Wilson's) but there's definitely something about 11-12 foot rudder/elevator soarers isn't there?

They remind me of galleons rather than the F3B/F3J clipper ships.....fanciful I know, but I remember flying my dear old "Proton 140's" well after they were competitive, and, as we all know, competition models can make brilliant sports soarers!:yes::)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702  

Tony

Hi Pete

I was just looking a bit more closely on the wing. It looks like the original builder applied what looks like 1/8" black chartpak tape around the 15% chord mark as a turbulator, unless of course my eyes have gone completely to pot.

Tony 

pete beadle

Hi Tony

Not knowing anything about leading edge turbulators I could be wrong but, to me, it looks like  "Stikatrim", it's very thin....I've replaced the missing bits of red trim with Oracover strips here

Are we talking about the spanwise red trim or the narrower black trim?

Back in the 70's, 80's and/or 90's I don't remember anyone saying that these big, slow soarers would benefit from a turbulator or two.......although someone DID say that Solartex "painted" with epoxy resin, as this one appears to have, helped laminar flow......but, again I don't know whether that was true either.....this big fella seems to be a good advertisement for the KISS principle though:yes:

Regards

Pete

BARCS 1702

Tony

Hi Pete

I was referring to the black stripe maybe it was just for trim. Only asked as my background is free flight and even though I don't fly anymore , I still have the models, most have some form or another of a turbulater. Lovely if you could get a video of her flying.

Tony