Sign in to follow this  
BrianL

Puncture in Film

BrianL

I’ve found a small hole in the bottom of the wing which happened after a heavy landing.  

The red covering is transparent so ironing on a piece of red covering over the hole will be obvious.  

I thought of sticking a small piece of the crystal clear tape over the hole.  Is this the best option or is there a better solution 

Thanks

Brian

9A525319-084D-490D-A9D1-0964775646A6.jpeg

Kyri

Clear tape is a good solution. If you trim it oval and apply it with tweezers to avoid getting any fingerprints on it, it should look reasonable too,

• Like 1

mikef

Crystal clear tape will be fine. 

If it's not right through the film, a hot iron, carefully applied might bring it out.

Kyri posted while I was typing...

Cut the tape out sticky side up with a sharp blade and pick it up with the blade to apply it.

BrianL

Thanks for the replies. Good idea making it round or oval and using tweezers or blade to avoid fingerprints.

pete beadle

Hi all

Could someone tell me why the oval shape is preferable please for the repair patch? I've never heard of that before.....most of my puncture repairs of transparent Oracover are usually done by replacing the whole panel between the two ribs to get a second layer over each rib, for strength and security reasons, not for any cosmetic reason.....

Thanks and regards

Pete

BARCS1702

f3fman
5 hours ago, pete beadle said:

Hi all

Could someone tell me why the oval shape is preferable please for the repair patch? I've never heard of that before.....most of my puncture repairs of transparent Oracover are usually done by replacing the whole panel between the two ribs to get a second layer over each rib, for strength and security reasons, not for any cosmetic reason.....

Thanks and regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Easy fix, and looks much nicer than a square or oblong piece of tape 🙂

SilentPilot

Curves blend in easier. Straight edges can be quite obvious on small patches.

I do like the idea of doing a complete 'panel' though. That seems like a good idea if weight isn't an issue. 

pete beadle

Hi SP

As I'm replacing a "panel's worth" of (usually) transparent film with the same size and amount of the same film I don't really see any change in weight, the patch is ironed on, not glued, so nothing is added.....also, whatever shape the smaller patch is, it still stands out like a sore thumb to finicky me......

Back in the good bad old days, we used to wear patches on the wing with pride and, especially on balsa sheeted , clear glassed,wings, left the repair "as is" to be admired by other pilots for our skills at scarf jointing and suchlike.....how times have changed,,,,,to me "invisible repairs" are done to maintain the resale value:yes::)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702 

Jef Ott
15 hours ago, SilentPilot said:

I do like the idea of doing a complete 'panel' though. That seems like a good idea if weight isn't an issue. 

The point I think Pete was making, was that he (and many others, no doubt) cut the damaged film back to within a few mm of the boundary structure (ribs, spar, trailing edge etc.), tacking those few mm round onto the sides of the ribs (etc.) to ensure the original film doesn't let go, then cut a new piece of film just a little larger than the hole (maybe 5 or 6mm longer & wider) and carefully tack it in place all the way round, then shrink tight.  Total weight gain 3/10ths of naff all.

Jef

• Thanks 1

SilentPilot

Yeah I get it :)

probably the oval patch will be heavier, but all that my time and skills allow!!! 

• Like 1

mikef

I think a small patch will be lighter than the over lap around a whole bay, it will disrupt the airflow less and will not release skin tension forces in the adjacent bays that may distort the ribs before the whole bay replacement is in place and shrunk.  It is also much quicker so you are back flying sooner.

Tony

Crystal tape/diamond tape is all you need, as stated originally,  regardless of shape for that size of a puncture anything more is just overkill.

Tony