1st 2020 2m Hi Start 14 day Duration Challenge

martynk

A placeholder for the 1st 2M Hi-Start 14 day duration Challenge for 2020

Please submit your score below. The clock will start when the first score is submitted.

This is a for fun challenge, anyone with a bungee-launched glider up to 2 metres wingspan and the standard Hi-Start can post a time.

Object: Fly your 2 metre glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules: Launches must be made from the standard Challenge Hi-Start bungee. Flight times begin when line releases from the towhook and the model must land in the field for times to count. While the object is to encourage F3-RES types, any model up to 2 metre span may be flown (F3-RES, foam, full house aileron mouldie) but please state the type of model with your time.

The standard Hi-Start bungee is a maximum of 10m of 6/4mm surgical tubing and 50m of static line (minimum 30lb breaking strain). Lighter/smaller bungee rubber may be used.

Fly safely! No slope soaring

Edited by martynk
Updated as its now 2020

• 1 month later...
Allen Elliott

So I can assume a DLG launches from a bungee is fine?

And I have a 100"RES with a motor. If the props are taped to the canopy and not used is this acceptable too?

21 minutes ago, Allen Elliott said:

And the powered RES?

I remove the prop from my Radian and tape up the holes to use it in this Hi-Start challenge,
A taped back prop should be ok, but at 100" that's over 2.5m

Too big!!!

apologies i stand corrected.........just seems a bit unfair to allow a DLG as such a performance advantage

i suspect powered RES is fine as heavier.

Allen Elliott
3 minutes ago, SilentPilot said:

I remove the prop from my Radian and tape up the holes to use it in this Hi-Start challenge,
A taped back prop should be ok, but at 100" that's over 2.5m

Too big!!!

Damn! Stupid old money

7 minutes ago, cirrusRC said:

apologies i stand corrected.........just seems a bit unfair to allow a DLG as such a performance advantage

I am inclined to agree, a modern DLG will easy outperform  a wooden F3 RES wooden glider. However, that is what the rules permit although not what was intended. 

ISA are investigating a F5RES class, basically F3RES but with ALES and a leccie motor. They are also planning on hiding comps for both F5RES and F3RES this year. 

yes agreed Martyn - my Dad's electric RES Andreas thermals very nicely but is still massively out classed by my DLG's  - especially in light lift.

Will watch these classes with interest.  👍

Hi,

I am from Sweden and new on this forum but found it when serching for RES online contests (sorry if my english are por).

Can I as a Swede join this contest?

Also the rules needto be more clear.  martynk said DLG is ok but then cirrusRC writes that it is unfair.

It is sad that bungy part allowed is only 10m as I think RES bungi standards that ee have are 15m but I think I have some old red HobbyKing tube I can cut of.

I have a MAD-RES that I built last winter with weigt about 450 grams.

20190414_124203.jpg

I just remember that I have a Hacker DLG 1000 that comes with a hook for light bungy.

On 07/02/2020 at 21:23, martynk said:

.............................. They are also planning on hiding comps for both F5RES and F3RES this year. 

They are doing a very good job of hiding the comps...no trace to be seen!    

31 minutes ago, DaveH said:

They are doing a very good job of hiding the comps...no trace to be seen!    

LOL.. Don't you just love Autocorrect.. 🤣

Actually the original rules for the 2m 14-day Challenge were for no moulded models. So no moulded F3K's but wooden/foam DLG's with a hook are permitted.

Jon

EDIT: Oops no that's wrong sorry. The original blurb says "While the object is to encourage F3-RES types, any model up to 2 metre span may be flown (F3-RES, foam, full house aileron mouldie) but please state the type of model with your time." I think we banned mouldies from the worldwide challenge on RCGroups though.

Hi

My view is this comp is primarily about encouraging people to go out on a summers day and enjoy the hobby with a bit of added fun regarding posting the longest flight time. There are only a handful of us that submit times so aside from the 2m rule let’s not get bogged down in things that will restrict entry. 

Guy 

2 minutes ago, GuyB said:

My view is this comp is primarily about encouraging people to go out on a summers day and enjoy the hobby with a bit of added fun regarding posting the longest flight time.

Exactly 😀👍

Allen Elliott

I also like the fact it has made me go out and buy and old school built up wing. I'm quite looking forward to the build too. 

Bought myself a 2m Res that arrives today 👍

• Like 2