1st 2020 2m Hi Start 14 day Duration Challenge

martynk

I'm seriously considering a RES model I have an electric RESolution and a couple of slope models but fancy a pure RES model I have never flown competitively nor attended any comps.

My only concern is wind we seem to get more breezy days here than without and I'm aware these can't handle much breeze.

Dave

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
StraightEdge

Will peeps be playing in the 2m Hi-Start again now that lockdown has eased?

Had my first session this morning with the late Boffin's X-RES (which I had stripped down, de-warped and recovered) using the regulation 10m of 6mm bungee.  Lovely fun, made 13:45 and a max altitude of 200m... although I don't think it should count for the challenge per se, as I had a hugely experienced friend by my elbow (umm, circa 2m from my elbow) pointing out exactly where the thermals actually were and how to work with them!

Jon

11 hours ago, StraightEdge said:

although I don't think it should count for the challenge per se, as I had a hugely experienced friend by my elbow (umm, circa 2m from my elbow) pointing out exactly where the thermals actually were and how to work with them!

Nice going Jon. I say it counts! Nothing in the rules to say you can't be coached - as long as it's you on the sticks and no telemetry. 

I need the impetus to get my Slite ready and flying within two weeks and 13:45 is the perfect target time 😀 Let's get the 2m party started!

Jon

I'll update the tables later on. Well done that's a great start.  Trust you are not using telemetry to measure height during the flight. 

Just finished my new F3-RES, Mad Hatter 2 on Thursfay. Even better, I retire on Wednesday. 

DSC_1691.JPG

• Like 1

StraightEdge

Martyn

Well done, the Mad Hatter looks great!

Re telemetry, I have it on a selectable switch and wasn't using it except when it was clear that I had gained a big one using trad observation and wanted to 'calibrate' for learning reasons what I thought my height might be with what it actually was.  Therefore technically I was using it and my flight should not count.

But it indicates - if any extra indication was needed - that every few days we do currently have ideal 2m Hi-Start thermalling conditions!

Jon

PS piccies of the re-covered X-RES

DSC_0085.JPG

DSC_0087.JPG

DSC_0088.JPG

• Like 2

We are off..

That will take some beating. Don't forget to submit your score as they will count towards your overall annual league place

image.thumb.png.baba700587a88ce70e49c08e7e24993e.png

• 2 weeks later...

First flying session in a long time this morning. I saw a weather window between 10-12am between enough lift and before the wind built up too much.  Pleasant flying with some decent height gain and a couple of multiple thermal flights but nothing to trouble Jon - my best was 9:50. As the bigger lift started to come through it was getting a bit too windy to follow it downwind. Thanks for the impetus to get the Slite fettled and the TX charged though! Very enjoyable getting out again but more practice needed. 😀

Jon

• Like 2

Updated Table

image.thumb.png.56b186ed5ecebc5f5edfa3907826833c.png

Well done Jon W - nice to see you back flying again. I went out with mine yesterday as well (still unflown), but the breezy southerly was hopeless - across the narrowest part of the field and a large copse of 100 ft trees immediately downwind.  A non starter I am afraid.

• Like 1

StraightEdge

Nice one Jon...  yes I've noticed that bigger lift does often seem to be accompanied by bigger wind... 

Edited by StraightEdge

I generally find my thermals keep some of the wind in 🤭

Another brief attempt this morning out at the rec. A bit too early for lift purposes as the sun wasn't getting through the stratus but very calm so you could cruise about and find what was there . I had one decent flight of 8:20 getting to a good height and flying with three kites who were showing me the way. I'm coming for you Jon... well trying anyway! (Is the 28th the last day ie we can log a new time on the 29th? I've forgotten how we do this!)

Jon

So after completing the family jobs list - conditions were just tooooo good not to try again 😎 

Headed out again at 4.30 as the high haze was clearing and little puffy 'Simpson's clouds' were starting to appear. Very little drift and so not much wind to launch against but after a few 3's and 4's I got my eye in and specked out properly with the kites following my lead for once. After 13 minutes of doodling about at height I decided to spin out of it (could have gone on for a while but that's not much fun for anyone else.) In the end I kept finding more lift low down and couldn't help myself, scratching about a bit more and finally got down for 19:33.

More a reflection of the perfect connies than my skill - I fully expect someone else could have beaten me already today!

Jon Whitmore, 26/05/20, Slite, 19:33

• Like 1

StraightEdge

Well done Jon!

Both your flights exceed my best today with the X-RES of only 5:58... but there's always tomorrow...! 😀

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Whitmore said:

(Is the 28th the last day ie we can log a new time on the 29th? I've forgotten how we do this!)

Jon

Jon - Its best before - in this case the 29th so last flight submission would have been the 28th... if that makes sense

• Like 1