1st 2020 2m Hi Start 14 day Duration Challenge

martynk

StraightEdge
2 hours ago, Whitmore said:

Well you have 2 weeks now 😋

Just as well !!   Should be in my stride by Sept then.... 😉

Yaay

Maidened my Mad Hatter 2 and was going well until I was reprimanded for flying over the no flight zone.

6 flights, 2 holes - dreadful holes - and 4 thermally flights, 3 in light lift and 1 boomer. The best (when I received my bollocking and told to fly back into the Safe Zone) was 06:30, the most interesting was when the model pinged off the line at 30 feet and I still did 4:32 - it just stayed at the same height until I chickened out - too close to the downwind trees.

Its a very different beast to MH mk1, it goes up like a rocket on the bungee, probably twice as fast as its predecessor, its also seems much more lively, turns very tightly without any sign of spiralling, a bit twitchy on elevator but not as bad as MH1, this one has a shorter moment arm.

The wings bend like mad on launch, really pleased I went for a 8x1 carbon spar in the centre panels -this tapers to 6x1, 4x0.5, 3x0.5 IIRC.

The spoilers were great, I was concerned they would be too big but fully deployed, the model noticeably slows and drops its nose in a nice controlled manner.  Much better than its predecessor.

Very difficult to judge what the glide was like, the air was either up or down in the flights that I had, but the model looks very promising.. Feeling quite pleased. 😎

And here is the latest table..

image.thumb.png.4d2440058f4527183ed3014f75bf55d1.png

I didn't do a build blog this time, it was built quite slowly but I'll kick off another thread. Its slightly higher aspect ration and surprisingly heavier - needed some nose weight despite the tailplane only weighing 9g and the fin/rudder 18g.

I'll dig out the plan and tidy it up.

Martyn

Well don't put yourself to any trouble re: the plan - but I'd be interested to hear the rationale behind any changes you made...

I have created a new thread in the builders forum. 

The main changes are 

No d box due to the damage the old one suffered from

Shorter moment arm to hopefully make it less sensitive in pitch

Slightly narrower chord to lose some drag same - same for the slimmer and lower profile fuselage

Cf leading edge to hopefully make a more accurate wing entry although I suspect any benefit is lost due to the missing d box. 

Apart from that, it's minor tweaks for aesthetics. 

StraightEdge

Well... looks like I'll be in the market for a new 2mRES sooner than I thought... 😬 ... having enjoyed a two-hour hike with the dog over Hill and Dale (or, as we say round 'ere, over Down and Vale) on a SAR mission...

Suffice to say around half-four this afternoon my first launch went straight into a boomer - I stopped the timer at 12:50  when the line-of-sight between the radio and the model was interrupted by a large geological feature 75m higher than my launch-field about 1.3km downwind, the X-RES having topped out around 430m (as I could no longer tell which way the model was even pointing I thought I'd check!) then pulled in spoilers and rudder.

Of course it was stupid to have let the model get so high and so far downwind... but I must have been distracted by Jon W's 19:33... !!

Packed away the kit, drove home to pick up the pup, then up to the top to start the search.  With the transmitter back on I gradually got stronger RSSI signal (and a meaningless altitude).  But where to start searching?  I started working clockwise around the rim of the bowl, taking care to give the cattle whose domain the high ground is a wide berth.  Usefully I'd packed a pair of 8x32 birding binoculars, and after about 40 minutes walking, stopping and scanning, I suddenly spotted through the bins what looked like black & white stripes... the underside of the wing!

The X-RES is theoretically mendable, but it's an okay design at best, one which was already recently 'refurbished' from a pretty warpy state, and has now - frankly - completed it's primary purpose...  gotten me right hooked on this mad pursuit of 'upward wind'! 😀

Anyone know of a decent 2mRES going begging?

Jon

DSC_0164.JPG

DSC_0169.JPG

DSC_0170.JPG

DSC_0172.JPG

DSC_0173.JPG

DSC_0178.JPG

DSC_0180.JPG

DSC_0198.JPG

DSC_0199.JPG

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 20.35.31.png

• Like 1

StraightEdge

I haven't looked at it in any detail yet, but the major items are:

• Entire forward half of fuselage (from break behind the TE to the scraps that used to be a canopy and nose) needs re-building from scratch.
  • One outer wing-panel join area/sheeting/ribs a bit mullah'd, but looks repairable via a partial strip-back, and one or two other wing bits might need some TLC.
  • Rx, Lipo, servos all look fine, not yet tested properly.

So all relatively easily done, will make a start after the weekend.

🙂

• Like 1

Good luck with that repair. It didnt look too bad in the photos but you always need a close examination to check it thoroughly. 

Hi

Not the longest flight on this thread but thought I would register anyway  

I took a week off work (I am lucky enough to still be full time), filled the paddling pool for both children and gave my wife an ice cold Diet Coke.

My field is 3 min walk away and conditions were amazing. 0-5 mile an hour wind and completely blue. Had about 10 flights with the longest 7:58, two thermals and lots of sink 

I enjoyed it so much I am thinking of selling / swapping my STEAM NXT as it’s just not as fun as flying the MADRES

GUY 

• Like 3

StraightEdge

Welcome to the party Guy!

...I'll be back just as soon as my almost-ex X-RES is done with reconstructive surgery.

John Minchell

Love to join in Martyn,  if I could find a flat field with no trees around it, to lay the bungee out in.

Still not finished the Gentle Lady refurb and retro fitted spoilers, but would have to use my old 1.5m Hi Light.

I guess I could try Sleap but would need to have a vario on board and set an alarm to warn me when I was at 400feet as that is the ceiling there.

Might not be practical for long flights but would be fun trying.

John M

• Like 1

It would be great to have you on board John, I agree though the 400ft ceiling at Sleap may be a bit of a problem. Remember though we are using the 50+10 launch systems.

BW

John Minchell

I assume that is meters Martyn, so at the top of the line with the rubber at its relaxed state,  it would be about 180ft (3x 50 + 10) ? 

Maybe 200 to 220ft if there was a breeze and the rubber was still streched somewhat?Still lets me play with 200ft of altitude before hitting the ceiling.

John M