F5J Team Trials for EURO 2020 -RESULTS

PeteMitchell

• Committee Member

I was getting a bit concerned that the heavy rain we have had this last week or so would have effected the Lt.Bentley field.

Should not have worried, I visited the field today with Tony and Ray and am pleased to say that it is perfectly OK. 

The ground is quite firm, no mud or puddles and the grass is short ish. So pretty much perfect.

But the entrance to the field is muddy and needs care to drive through. 

The  latest weather forecast predicts  showers possible over the weekend, more on Saturday than Sunday. Wind is likely to be brisk on Saturday and less so on Sunday.

Depending on weather forecasts,final go/no go will be 1 o'clock Thursday.

Latest entry list:

TTEntry.JPG

• Committee Member

There has not been any real change to yesterdays  weather predictions,  so the comp is on.

Saturday  forecast is  still  some showers and sun plus a breeze.

Sunday looks a bit less windy .

I hope to run 7 rounds starting at 10am  Saturday and 5 rounds  starting 10am Sunday.

Please bring rain clothes, sun cream, ballast and money😀

All help Friday afternoon setting up will be appreciated I should be there about 2pm

• Like 1

Signs are out and port-a-loo delivered. I had expected the land owner to bring the Oasis Cabin back to the field but he has it in his yard for the builders that he has doing renovations to his farm house.

The entrance to the field is still wet, just go slowly and you'll be OK. Maybe go past the post with arrow sign on and turn in then to avoid too much churning in one area.

See you later
Tony

Peter thanks to you and Tony for your efforts today running an excellent comp everyone seemed to have had a very enjoyable day wish i could be there tomorrow but am sure it will be another good one😀

• Like 2

• Committee Member

RESULTS

Further info to follow.

The sharp eyed will notice the results below show slightly changed numbers to my earlier posting.

After a great deal of checking today, one entry was found to be wrong .  In R3 G2 Steve Knowles score was transposed. It was entered in the computor as 9min25sec but was infact 9min 52sec. 

This changed the result of that round but not the overall result. Made it even more close though😮

TT Result Corrected.JPG

• Like 2

An huge thank you to everyone that came to the contest. With help from everybody we got round a couple of glitches with the scoring and timing equipment and ran the two contests over the weekend. The results, and the combined result, will appear here after final checking have appeared - I started typing this hours ago!

Saturday was fairly windy with occasional blue sky and sun. The wind was coming from the south-west, some of the later rounds meant we launched in to the sun, though as far as I was aware no one had too much difficulty. Lift was mainly found in a wave at the top of the field, though a few thermals came through that rapidly took us way down the other end of the field. No serious walks of shame but a few landings no where near the tapes but not so far to be a zero.

Sunday was less windy at first and with the wind turned nearly 180° round towards the north it was a lot cooler. It wasn't so bad when the sun came out but when hidden it was less pleasant, gloves and a warm jacket needed by some of us 🙂  More thermals, though wave lift was still there off a different wooded area. A couple of land outs and several missed landing points showed how terrible the air could be getting back after what many of us thought was a good flight. In one slot there were three of us all lined up about 5m short of the tape.

Both days gave challenging flying conditions, ideal for team trials. The cream rose to the top - as we'd expect - just 29 points separate 1st to 5th on the combined scores.

Thanks again to everyone that came, thanks too for helping setting up and breaking down all the equipment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Big Thankyou to Peter Mitchell and Tony Merrit  for making this competition possible.

also thank you to all the local guys who supported this competition the extra numbers really helped to make it a good event .

Was good to enjoy the social side with our northern friends Saturday night courtesy of the local premier inn and pub .

Cheers 

• Like 2

I would also like to endorse Grahams comments with special thanks to Peter and Tony for their sterling work before and over the weekend to make this happen at such short notice. It was a long trip for most, but we were all made to feel very welcome and the weather gods were certainly on our side for this time of year!

The star of the weekend was clearly Josh (Junior) earning a well deserved and very significant overall win, over the two days......

BR

Steve

• Like 2

Having not flown any two day events now for 4 years plus flying my last event on 1st September, it was nice to take part in this evnt and meet up with flyers who I do not see that often nowadays. The Saturday proved to be the better day for me, both in results and not being frozen by the North wind as we were on the Sunday. Don't think I got warm all day till the drive home, reminders of the Peterborough Winter comps of 20 years ago.Having damaged the model on the third round flight, was forced into flying my reserve which had not been flown for some time, on another Tx(Horus) that I find it hard to come to like for various resons, weight being one, then the climb setup was down on what I wanted, which was put right to some extent by a prop change for the last flight.

Nothing like the adrenalin rush from comp flying, that keeps that interest in the sport alive.

Whilst echoing Grahams thanks to Peter Mitchell & Tony Merritt on their organizing the event, it should be noted that they cannot be expected to keep these events in our area going and I am sure they would find someone to pick up the mantle in the Eastern Area, for them to continue to flourish.

Have now repaired the broken wing yet again, did not look possible at the time but nothing ventured.

DSCN0840.JPG

DSCN0839.JPG

DSCN0841.JPG

• Like 2

Bob Dickenson

My thanks also to Pete & Tony, plus the rest of the people  who both helped & competed. It was a great comp, & very nice to meet & speak with so many competitors  who I don't normally meet, In all very enjoyable, & I think the result was an accurate reflection. Thankyou to all.

Bob

• Like 2

Looks like it was an excellent comp.  Well done to everyone who entered and to Pete and Tony for their continued efforts and support to our hobby.

Sorry I couldn’t be there to support it, but work seems to have interfered a lot this year.  Will need to address that for next year 😉

Well done again.

Eamon

• Like 1

• Committee Member

At long last I can post the full results from both days competitions.

TT1.JPG

TT2.JPG

TT3.JPG

TT4.JPG