f3fisa

DRES Day

pete beadle

Hi all

One further thing, (and I'm sure SteveJ will will soon tell me if I am  wrong in this) if the new regulations don't require flyers to be insured for third party risks,(if we stay under 400 feet) and only require  them to pass  a test that is hard to fail(apparently you/I will be able keep taking the test until you/we pass), and the CAA, DoT and other bodies don't mind dealing with the individual model flying clubs as regards registration, and are only going to make an annual charge of £16.50 to allow us to fly everywhere except in the places we are specifically banned from flying......where is the need for a supervisory association, such as, for example, the BMFA,  that will be no more than a figurehead with very little to actually  do?

If we can, as I'm frequently told, do EVERYTHING online, come on, you  would want to do everything direct and online, wouldn't you?.......... 

Just a thought.......previous thought deleted BTW.......this one's better........

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

• Sad 1

pete beadle

Hi SteveJ

Oh goody! I knew my "A" cert would come in handy one day!:)....Does it work with the BARCS Silver?.......

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

John Minchell

No

A considerable climb-down from the previous position with the DoT / CAA.  So maybe you can thank the hard working BMFA CEO and Chairman now Pete instead of giving them a bashing eh? 😉

Regards John M

f3fisa

As far as I can see the BMFA will now collect the £9 fee plus probably a small admin fee.

The only thing you will not have to do is pass the online test if you have a BMFA "A" certificate.

So I guess the BMFA have saved us £7 a year.

David.

Steve J
11 hours ago, John Minchell said:

So maybe you can thank the hard working BMFA CEO and Chairman now 

IMHO Grant Shapps MP deserves a lot of the credit for the change.

From the BMFA article:

David Phipps, BMFA CEO commented: we are grateful to the Secretary of State for Transport for his direct intervention in this matter which has allowed us to negotiate a more acceptable outcome for our community whilst enabling us to establish a much stronger relationship with the CAA and DfT in the process.  I would also like to take this opportunity to thank our members for their support of our campaign which was backed up by a significant number of MP’s, the wider aviation community, the APPG for General Aviation and our special advisers (Cliff Whittaker and Roger Hopkinson MBE).  It is very much a case of ‘United we Achieve’.

Anyway, £9/year is still excessive and the 'A' exemption only lasts until 30th June 2020 after which the EU regulation kicks in and things get more complicated.

Steve

pete beadle
1 hour ago, Steve J said:

Anyway, £9/year is still excessive and the 'A' exemption only lasts until 30th June 2020 after which the EU regulation kicks in and things get more complicated.

Hi John Minchell

12 hours ago, John Minchell said:

A considerable climb-down from the previous position with the DoT / CAA.  So maybe you can thank the hard working BMFA CEO and Chairman now Pete instead of giving them a bashing eh? 😉

I really do take exception to your comment above, especially as it now has to be moderated by SteveJ's information 2nd above

I have always been complimentary to people who IMO have worked harder or achieved more than they were required to do. What I have NOT done is complimented people for NOT doing what is required of them - in other words for not doing their job

In my opinion, and I have been consistent in all my posts concerning this, the BMFA and particularly Manny Williamson made a basic mistake when aligning the membership of BMFA who fly model radio controlled gliders with drone pilots/flyers/owners.

IMO the BMFA management team and Manny in particular made the most basic mistake in this whole sorry mess by accepting that the models we fly can be and now are referred to as drones. Before anyone mentions the fact that this has been clarified this year by the specific description of what we fly being broadened by the latest statement from the CAA that radio controlled model aircraft do not fit the general description of drones, in my opinion this should have been clarified at the outset and thus I feel no regret for NOT throwing the BMFA management team compliments that are not due

In my opinion the basic problem that radio-controlled model flyers face, and have faced from the outset was that the negotiating team didn't use their most effective defence from the outset......that WE DONT FLY DRONES and please don't tell me we had to work with descriptions that the CAA or anyone else involved in the negotiations accepted......good negotiators do not just accept these descriptions if they don't agree with them

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

• Sad 1

EssexBOF

Bruce on XJet has been disecting the release and there are some strange things that do not add up

• Thanks 1

beamer36m
3 hours ago, EssexBOF said:

Bruce on XJet has been disecting the release and there are some strange things that do not add up

Can you provide a link

cirrusRC

f3fisa
2 minutes ago, beamer36m said:

Can you provide a link

beamer36m

Thanks.

Seems quite straightforward to me...

... If you fly RC over 250g then you need to a) be registered and b) take a test to prove competency.

If you a member of BMFA then you don't need to worry about 'a'.

If you have an A cert already from the BMFA then you have to worry about 'b' either.

Total cost is £9.

So for me... I am a member of BMFA so need to register... I don't have a certificate so I need to take the test. It costs me £9 overall.

Simples.

• Like 1

f3fisa

As far as I can see the biggest hurdle for some people will be, do I want the BMFA to pass my personal details to the CAA and how secure is that data.

If you do not divulge these details you will be breaking a law, when it is eventually passed by Parliament.

Having done a Beta example of the new Drone test, I think it is easier than doing an "A" certificate, and also means you do not have to prove you can actually fly, safely or otherwise.

David.

pete beadle

Hi David

Like it or not, whether you do everything you can to not have your personal details available to the police or government agencies, if you do take a drone test your personal details will NOT be safe any more. Taking the drone test is NOT a good idea.......mind you, pretty soon, IMO being a BMFA member isn't going to be a particularly  good idea either

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

beamer36m

The reality is that personal details are not safe in any event... We have all, I'm sure, signed up to forums, social media, online stores, credit cards, banking etc etc so our data is out there.

If people don't want the BMFA to pass the details you can still register directly, I don't see it being mutually exclusive (i.e if BMFA member you must have them deal for you etc).

Seems like a simple registration and an easy test with a minimal fee.

Also, as I fly a 1m dlg which weighs less than 250g I do not technically need to comply in any event.

Steve J
1 hour ago, f3fisa said:

If you do not divulge these details you will be breaking a law, when it is eventually passed by Parliament.

Nothing needs to be passed by Parliament. The ANO was changed last summer. 

Steve

Jef Ott

I won't be rejoining the BMFA until after June 2020 when the exemptions run until. 

Not being a competition flyer anymore, means that I have no need for BMFA membership.

It does mean that I won't be rejoining any of the flying clubs I belong to though, which is disappointing. 

I had made that decision before seeing the video linked in this thread.