Modification question

beamer36m

I recently got my Toro 1m dlg and it is great but there is very little room in the pod...specifically, the fact that you have to slide everything into the point of the nose at a low angle makes getting receivers in etc tricky.

I want to get the new ar6610T when they are released but I think it will be a stretch to get it in as it currently is... my question (and remember I am a beginner to these type of models is can I safely trim off some of the pod curvature (in the pic at the bottom of the battery) or would this completely weaken the air frame?

Probably a silly question again.

The hatch is a slide on cone which covers and encloses the entire nose/pod etc so I don't think it will be a problem but 'measure twice cut once' and all that!

Toro pod.jpg

I'd say you've got two things to consider.

1. The loads when launching

2. The load on any kind of nose first impact

Normal flying loads will be small in comparison.

On launch the inner nose and cone need to support the loads caused by your spin and whatever mass you have in the nose. If you've got a massive lump of lead in there along with RX and bat then you'll have more load. Having said that, it would seem that the majority of the load is taken by the sides of the pod so probably not going to make much difference. The weakest point will be between the cutout and the servo tray so you are making that bigger but probably not enough to worry about.

A nose first impact is probably going to use the nose cone as shock absorber/crumple zone to some extent. If you hit it hard enough it'll break now anyway. You'll probably lose a bit of strength but again, there's a massive hole in the top already so loads are going through the sides and bottom. Mine broke like this (picture below) on a (hard) nose in impact. Looks like it all flexed around the more solid servo tray. I don't think removing any material at the front would have changed this. All repaired now.

Only thing I'd say is don't leave any sharp corners. Keep it a smooth curve and remove as little as you can get away with.

3D4BFC09-E137-4CED-B1B2-9B7D1179C487.thumb.jpeg.3507f827d6aa8ad7b3372f9a63d94ba5.jpeg

• Like 1

Also - most DLG pilots remove the case on the RX to give a little more room.    Just cover in heat shrink or tape to ensure no short circuits possible.

5 minutes ago, cirrusRC said:

Also - most DLG pilots remove the case on the RX to give a little more room.    Just cover in heat shrink or tape to ensure no short circuits possible.

I can't tell from the picture but I had assumed that de-casing was a definite requirement to get anything in the nose of the Toro...
Certainly do this first if not done already. If the AR6610T is a six channel then make sure the unused pins are covered as well as the "body" of the rx.

Thanks guys.

I have already de-cased the ar410 and managed to get it in. It was a squeeze length wise, width was fine.

What made the whole thing tricky was the angle you had to go it at due to the pod curve being quite close to the servo tray.