Getting better

beamer36m

So, at the expense of you laughing me off the field, I am pleased to say that my launches and flight times are improving.

1st session with the Toro (more about trimming it slowly) in dead air = 48sec longest flight.

Launch height say 20m

2ns session with the Toro (again still trimming and getting to grips with a carbon fibre model and it's 'lightness' etc) in cold dead air = 1min 11 secs longest flight.

Launch height say 25-30m

I know, I know... Terrible by your standards but getting better.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😁😁😁😁🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

Thanks guys... Maybe not so bad after all.

What's a reasonable launch height for 1m DLG's...

20m = pretty good?

30m = good?

40m = very good?

50m = excellent

Etc etc etc... What's the consensus?

Neil Harrison

Don’t get too caught up in how high you launch, there is so much more to learn.

Post a video of you launching from a few different angles, it’s normally something easy to change which will see you launching higher 

Exactly what Neil says, the best thing I ever did was to film myself throwing, what felt like a good throw, keeping my arm straight and well back coiled up was nothing like that in reality when watching myself back. 

It’s quite a way away now but getting to a comp and spending some time with guys like Neil and Chalster will be massive help. 

ive gone at it alone since taking up dlg and the progress is a lot slower than it would have been if I had flew the comps and flown with others. 

Totally agree.

Just wondering as a guide when a launch can be considered excellent... appreciate its technique overall but useful to know so that I can in 'real time' have a sense of 'that was a good/pants/excellent launch' etc.

Also appreciate it's probably more of a 'feel' in regards to the whole launch and not just the height.

Defo gonna film my technique next time the weather allows me to get out.

Neil Harrison

So this year one of my Superfly Pilots, Bastiaan Duijghuisen unofficially Set a new record, he launched into a thermal but none the less 110m was a massive launch...normally he launches 80-90m which as you will agree is huge.

The TORO launches better than other 1m DLGs with a not to dissimilar height to 1.5m.

C966604F-2A67-4503-8CEE-1C0724C6D53F.jpeg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Sounds like he's saying it launches as high as a 1.5m 

I can't see the L/D, or glide angle, being as good though. That extra span will likely keep you up longer.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like Superfly are doing a deal on the Toro so I might bite. Saw a used one for sale for £50 more than the new kit and servo pack. 

Love mine and with my bad back and just a half chuck I get better height with my Toro than my Votex 3 or my Snipe

had a good few flights with it over 60mins my best has been over 100 mins but landed as had one hell of a crick in my neck more than anything else

Me and my mate Simon M have had loads of 30 min + flights its such a great little glider that I don't really even bother with the others

launch height really dose not matter  one bit its about getting it to glide as flat as you can and finding the lift if its there

I bet I cant get over 30m with mine even on a good day Simon M easy gets 45M + with his yet most times we get the same flight times so I really would not be to bothered how high you get just find that lift and work it as hard as you can

I have had some really good flights on crap days just going back and fourth along a hedge row and doing nothing more than figures of 8 back and fourth

the Toro soon lets you know if your in lift or not better than I would say the bigger ones and it sure dose turn on a dime

get to a comp or if Neil dose his weekend again that as me and Simon learnt so much there it was untrue 🙂

34 minutes ago, Big Si said:

4 in the pod

Shame... Might have been interested if it was top drive.

How does it connect? I'd like a 1m to keep in my car but 4 in a pod ones can be very fiddly to assemble for impromptu flights

:(

Put the wing on and move the aileron pushrod through the horn at the aileron.

Done. Quick and super easy. Of course anyone could make it as difficult as they wanted. But I could have the plane together and in the air faster than it took to type this.

Id only ever go back to top drive for a certain plane, otherwise 4 in the pod for life! 

The Vibe2 is like that but the actual connection is SO fiddly.

Tiny tweezers needed and lots of patience! 

I'd prefer top drive with a connection tab system anyday...