Northern Winter League 2019 / 2020

Jon_E

A great day out again! Lovely mild weather and sunshine all day, just a shame the sun was right in the way on A for 3 rounds meaning you couldn't really chose your line, same for everybody though.

Super variable from start to finish as always on Levisham but with 10 rounds most people got some air (except Mark R 😕)

My luck came in rounds 1, 8 & 9 and the FS6 seems to go well in the average air in between the good stuff so it's looking promising 👍

Very slick running by Jon & Mark and a good turn out made it not too hectic. Tight for 5th place 😲

• Like 2

An excellent day out, and very well orchestrated by Jon and Mark - thanks guys!! 

It was great to watch Pete, Rich and Steve in full flow managing the air effectively and coaxing their models around the turn points - there really was some great flying on display.... EM, reversal, Scandinavian and bank n yank. It was all in there and if executed correctly in reasonable air, rewarded the pilot accordingly. 

Peter's new FS6 looked magnificent and seemed to indicate that the latest variant offered enhanced performance within the 40 - 50 second conditions. Pretty much as stated on the tin, I guess - but it was very impressive!!!!  The FS5s and Pike Precision (1 & 2) looked very good too and certainly translated lift into speed with aplomb. 

I share Pete's earlier comments too ref Mark R - that was a very tough day on the slope for such a top pilot and I found myself wincing each time the FS was launched only to see the sink come on to the slope. F3F has always been a cruel mistress, but this was a particularly bad innings. Tough luck Mark. 

Equally challenging to see my old mucker Mark P lose a flap servo and inherit an additional discard - again, another contributor to a skewed result. 

On the flip side, Jon E seemed to have a stonking time with his FS4 - I say that, as all I could hear was shrieking plastic each time I withdrew to land........well done Jon 👍

My day was spent fighting the sun and wrestling with an aggressively configured Ultima. Lots to do, lots learnt and quite an interesting journey ahead. The model seemed to have straight line speed in spades and handled well, but time needs to be spent now on calming the beast down, establishing the correct mixer throws and straightening out those strange tailplane horns 🧛‍♂️

Next stop is S. Wales, assuming a decent forecast. 

Cheers, 

Greg

• Like 6

Excellent day out, I must have upset the lift gods but you fly the hand you are dealt...and don't cut!! 

The sun on base A was horrendous at times Im sure I have two burn marks on the back of my head due to me misplacing my sunglasses 

Really starting to get a grip of my Proton and starting to find the sweet spot with setup, but seems Peter G had raised the bar with his new. FS6, it looks very comfortable in the variable air the Levisham is infamous for.

Great to see my old mucka's the dark lord Dakin and Mark P, both flying far too well.

Mark R really suffered with the air but flew in his usual precision to manage the damage.

F3f  is really simple, fly fast and turn at 50 metres! Yer right.

Also nice to meet a few new faces, keep the faith, when you get a model on step it makes all the effort worth while.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Here we go again!

Northern Winter League this coming weekend.

Weather forecast so far looking good.  WSW , 20 - 35mph

Usual call Friday evening

Jon

Northern Winter League is ON for tomorrow.

Forecast has been fairly constant during the week for WSW winds now in the range 24 - 47mph
Should be a fairly exciting day at Levisham :-)

See you all in Braygate Lane for 9:30am

Jon

• Like 4

Event ABANDONED!!

With wind speeds around 20m/s, but gusts in excess of 25m/s for sustained periods ( 31.6 m/s max recorded peak), and intermittent drizzle from some distant rain clouds,  common sense finally prevailed and the eight pilots abandoned any hope of trying to get a comp in.

Having said that, some were game to try, but test flights proved that despite the wind, conditions were not that ballistic, and landing was definitely  hazardous.

So, reserve date kicks in,  the next meeting being the 15th Feb

Fingers crossed for a little less wind!!
Jon

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

Thats a shame Jon.

Last time I flew at Levisham in those conditions I pumped through the tree and err 'landed' at the bottom!

Not ideal for racing. Better luck next time.

It was a tough day on PoleCot. right on the limit of being flyable. Very much grit your teeth through the smiles. 

50mph and thermic, was great in the big thermals , bending the wings on the PB2 -and only with 1400gms of added ballast.

I have not seen the PB2 wings bend before, but the punch out of the bases when the thermals were well positioned was stunning.

Right choice to stand back at Levisham. Hope you get better luck next time Jon. 

Disappointed not to get a comp in, was a bit windy at times.. usual Levisham variability! But wow when it was on it was ballistic, possible record breaking, first time I have seen any noticable flex in my Protons wings..Oooft

Bob Dickenson

It was the right choice for me to pull out, I think I would have broken another model. But it was something else to see your model at full chat in good air  Paul. I'm envious.

• Thanks 1

Northern Winter League Reserve date this Saturday.

Well, I asked for less wind than last time, and what's the forecast - more bloody wind!!
Current forecast is a for a southerly ( good direction )  but 28 to 55mph with a hint of rain!

Don't hold your breath, but usual call Friday evening

Jon

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I hope this doesn't come as any surprise, but tomorrow's Winter League is OFF

I think we could cope with the high winds, especially as the South Bowl is a very benign slope even in these conditions
But along with the wind is a 90% forecast for rain.
Not a good forecast for running a comp.

The good news is the next date is the 7th March.
Hope the weather gods will be kinder to us.

Jon

• 3 weeks later...

Another attempt at a Winter League comp this weekend for us hardy Northern Folk!
( and anyone else who wants to join in for that matter )

Forecast is ok at the mo, so fingers crossed
More on Friday Evening

Jon

• Like 2

Doesn't look like you jinxed it Peter - Tomorrow is ON!

Forecast is Cloudy but with low risk of rain
Winds SSW  17 to 25mph gusts 30 to 40mph

That puts us firmly on the South Bowl

Therefore meet at the main Horcum car park for 9:30am

Jon

• Like 2