Marc RC pilot

I have been going through/learning the various setup options on my TX for my Longshot1. Quite a steep learning curve for me but imensly satisfying when I get some parts of it slowly figured out.. 😃 

So far I managed to program in elevator, rudder, ailerons and brakes (with a tad of down elevator kicking in) and also voice commands for launch, speed, thermal, cruse  modes etc ( I just got to dial in the throws for those modes which I think I can do now)

I still am having a bit of a problem getting my head around the various curve/points options for the ailerons mixes but I am sure with a little more time and research all will be well.

I am using these control throws as my template which I found on the Longshot4 manual online:

"The model is normally equipped with 4 servos: two for ailerons, one for stabilizer, one for rudder. 

Ailerons - direction control (measured from neutral aileron position) 12 mm up, 6 mm down brakes: 30 mm down flaps: 2-3 mm down brakes and flaps should be compensated for with appropriate elevator movements: down elevator for down ailerons. 

Elevator up/down 10 mm 

Rudder left/right 15 mm, coupled with ailerons Note: If the wing airbrakes deploy down (as mentioned above) be sure to install the rudder servo. The model can not be directionally controlled with ailerons when they are deployed f down." 

A few question if you please:

1) To confirm,  with down flaps/brakes I should initially be aiming to have 2/3 mm of down elevator kicking in as a guide line?

2) The "rudder left/right 15 mm coupled with ailerons" statement;  is that  automaticaly adding in a little rudder to keep nose in line on turns instead of doing it manually?  ( I personally would prefer to do it manually because I like the challenge of hands on flying where practicable)

3) What would be the recommended "snap flap" control throw settings for this glider as a starting point and in what flight modes would you recommend I employ them to (thermal & cruise?) 

Again, thank you for bearing with me on my DLG/digital TX learning curve :)

Cheers

Marc  

PS the more I tinker with the open tx software the more I realise how absolutely amazing it is! Options on options with permutations of all the above...deep as you ever need to get...And I've just scratched the surface of it (my head a hell of a lot more, but the bleeding is subsiding/wounds are healing lol ).

My how things have moved on from back in the 70's when I first got into RC gliding/thermal hunting... :) Great stuff!

Marc RC pilot

After a bit of early tinkering I finally figured out how to adjust and set individual curves/throws to each aileron in both up and down modes (messing with curves/points/weights etc), how to add some up elevator to Launch button/ add down elevator to flap brakes and how to adjust the throws on each individual brake on the flaps/ set all various controls to any button/switch I need, and assign that charming ladies voice  commands to any button/switch etc/ assign cruise, speed, thermal flight modes.

Last thing is to set various aileron camber settings to the various flight modes I set up on a 3-way switch (should be easy now I'm getting the hang of it), have a go setting snap flaps to a switch, and final measurements of all control surfaces throws in there various modes.

I did this through the TX screen and found it a lot easier with the wheel to navigate through the  menu systems.

Thanks for the  help chaps, much appreciated and had been fun  learning all this new stuff :)

👍  

PS Pierre's video was a good/helpful starting point for me 

Marc RC pilot

Another good DLG setup video from Maat, very precise build/work which really helps to make things clear:

Marc RC pilot

Thanks Neil, Mark also sugested I use it.

I just downloaded it and followed install procedure.

Where do I find the otx file they mention here?  (excuse my stupidity...)

"Next, copy the radio program over to your radio:

Open the .otx file for your transmitter in Companion.

Read models and settings from your own radio.

Drag the “Fxx” model over to your own radio’s file.

Write models and settings to the radio from your own file. "

Marc RC pilot

Can't figure the .otx file thing...I can open my current Longshot one that I created and see all the settings that I have applied to it in Companion (manually through the TX which I did the other day) but cannot find the F3K one. Bit confused.com  

Found another great video explaining how to set up Frsky vario on TX as well:

Fail safe set, Vario + voice set, volume on slider set. Just got to set camber/reflex to flaps and Bob's your uncle (for now).

I hear it's a good idea to increase the gimbal tension springs to max. Any thoughts on this are welcome

Cheers 

Marc RC pilot

More advanced camber programming in Open TX:

Marc RC pilot

I'm posting up all the videos that really helped me out/made it easyer to understand so that it might help others   

Works fine for Taranis X9D . This software/options really is amazing... Might actually try flying one day :D