Aileron airbrakes/setting a delay question

Marc RC pilot

Marc RC pilot

Should one set a slight delay on the full aileron airbrakes when retracting them (so as to lower the risk of a wing stall from flying at a much slower speeds)?  

Well I can't see how a small delay would be a problem.

Why didn't you go for the throttle stick so you get fine control and can vary your sink rate?

Marc RC pilot

Ok thx Paul. 

Good idea about sticking Brake flaps on throttle to vary sink rate. At the moment I have the brakes kicking in when I press and hold the momentary switch/paddle  on the top right of TX, I am thinking it's best that way to ensure that one does not get caught out with brakes down on a landing and risk stripping servos. It would also worry me that I nudged the throttle stick by my clumsiness and kick in brakes at the wrong time.

Thx for feed back/food for thought. 

When the throttle stick is at the top, the brakes are not deployed, so I think less chance to knock them.

I find it easier to control the rudder when I have it press into the full throttle position.

Also, my right thumb is underneath the throttle stick as I launch so a small chance of them deploying on launch.

What TX do you have? You can program the flaps to be fully up when you press the launch preset switch/button. And in some cases a delay or logic to keep them inactive until you need them.

A few thoughts...

1. I wouldn’t worry about nudging the throttle stick unless you’re going to worry about nudging the elevator at the wrong time and nosing in as well.

2. Put flaps on the stick and everything will make sense after a few flights. Treat it as a throttle that just works the other way around. 

3. At the speed you’re going with flaps down on landing you’re unlikely to damage any servos. I land with mine down all the time.

4. Use the Frickman program as it handles disabling flaps on launch and everything else “just works”. 

Have a look at Andrew's newton videos if you don't want to use the throttle - he uses the left hand slider to the same end (being able to adjust sink rate) on his Taranis - and shows the programming ....  Taggarc 

Marc RC pilot

Thx Paul G  and Paul R! 

After reading your explanations I am converted! Makes sense now and like the idea of a big stck for a big flap  :) .  Will try the rudder with throttle stick forwards, sounds ccool.I'm using x9d plus se 2019. 

Got some issues with frikman program (mainly me). Will try it again thx