DarylBurton

Film covering Blejzyk Mefisto poplar veneer wings

DarylBurton

I’ve had decent results in the past covering obechi veneered wings with Solarfilm. Sanding with 600 grade then tack-clothing before covering in a dust-free workshop. No problems with bubbles and a finish I’m happy with without grain showing through.

Some seem to be advocating using a couple of coats of water based polyurethane varnish or sanding sealer on first, then sanding back. Couple of queries to those that have film covered a Mefisto / Hammer / Spin etc. wing:

1/ Is the poplar veneer that Blejzyk uses so different to obechi that this is an essential extra step?

2/ Does this significantly improve the appearance of the film finish?

3/ Does it give more bubbling (or film adhesion) issues now that the veneer is less porous after this sealing/varnishing?

Thanks!

Daryl

Marc RC pilot

Hi Daryl

Excuse me jumping in with no answer to you question (I do not know sry). I was just looking at your kit/manufacturer and they look like incredible bang for buck and beautiful looking designs (I am after/doing research on a new/second hand sports/f3b type 2.5/3m sailplane). If you don't mind me asking, what are your initial impressions on the kit (build quality/wing strenght etc)? I must say that the Mefisto looks quite stunning! 

Regards

Marc 

image.thumb.png.a1328855e4e445286c0f0dc5cfa6f1b5.png

DarylBurton

Hi Marc

Thanks for the link, I’d not seen that build thread before. If anyone else wants to chime in with their experience of whether there’s any added value to using water based polyurethane varnish before film covering I’d really appreciate it!

On your other point Marc, I reckon the Mefisto has the nicest set of veneered wings I’ve seen in a kit, the fus is rigid but light, and the tail balsa is top-notch. Extremely good quality and value all round I reckon, which seems to be the general opinion for other gliders in the Blejzyk range.

Go buy one (or two!)

All the best

Daryl

• Thanks 1

Marc RC pilot

That's good to know about the quality of wings tail and lightness of fuz Daryl thx.

Two!...Please don't get me looking at the Harpia...=) 

Sent you a pm 

Cheers

Marc 

severngoose

Daryl,  I have built quite a  few Art Hobby gliders & use Oracover to finish.

Prep is simply  400 - 600 grit, remove all dust then brush apply a diluted white PVA glue.

Once dry lightly sand then apply Oracover or similar.

The glue acts as a sanding sealer & makes covering easier.

Good luck .

Tim