Marc RC pilot

servos are centered and the ailerons are down about 15°?

Marc RC pilot

Can someone explain the reasoning behind the statement below please: 

NOTE : I set my planes up such that when the servos are centered on the ailerons, the ailerons are down about 15° (10-12mm). This setup procedure assumes that. You will not get full mechanical advantage from your servos if you set them up with the servos centered and the ailerons in line with the wing and there is nothing the transmitter can do to fix that. I strongly suggest that you make the aileron pushrods so that the servos are centered and the ailerons are down about 15°.

I presume is has something to do with getting more range on flap deployment? But then again I am thinking that with these modern digi tx systems/servos there seems to be no true centre point or end points anymore (all programmable)? 

satinet

Is this a dlg?

Marc RC pilot

yes sir, a Longshot 1

SilentPilot

I guess it is to allow full flap deployment.

Like you say, end points and centres are programmable nowadays with computer radios, but if the servo gets to the end of its rotation with the Flap not fully down then that's all the deployment you will get.
No matter how good the transmitter!

Tony

Marc RC pilot

Cheers Tony, I was under impression that servos can just keep spinning around forever if allowed/or at least 360 degrees....Doohhh  

I got one aileron servo that went straight into a 40 degree offset position when I set up the my new TX/receiver to it on this second hand model...It seems to work fine with some internal trimmings in Open TX software, but maybe I should take it our and reset the horn centre in true neutral? Good geometric house keeping all that? 

SilentPilot

You should see some of my setups!

I use Spektrum and so don't have the full freedom of OpenTx. I have to get creative with the backmixes sometimes to keep a trailing edge in line :o

Marc RC pilot

that makes geel better already lol

satinet

Even if the servo head had unlimited movement it wouldn't help. Once you get past a certain point it would function like the piston on steam train. Aside from the fact the wing skin would be in the way.

Sometimes different brands of radio use different pulse widths so the postion of servos can be different. There isn't really such a thing as 'centre' it's just a position the servo is told to go to like any other.

I think frsky uses 1500us as 'centre' if no mixes or stick movements are applied. You can adjust this in the servo output menu.

• Thanks 1