Freestyler 6

Munch197

Marc RC pilot

Cracking looking glider...Lovely wing shape

Build quality looks sublime

Serious kit 

I' pre-ordered one last night in my dreams Munch... 😃

The 5 looks fantastic also. quite a lot of wing/Vtail area going on it seems...Or maybe it's because the fuselage is so dammed skinny! very nice 

image.png.6fcb3b9f80010cd885adbfa8e3e5a8e8.png

• Like 1

I have got one on the way 👍

Had a great year last year with a Freestyler 5 so thought I had better give the 6 a go. 

A thinner wing than the 5 as I understand it but with a touch more camber. Optimised for 40-50s air (like the FS3) apparently...

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Got a tracking number for my FS6 now but its been in Unna, Germany for 36 hours.77419_Barings-Unna.thumb.jpg.0e3a11ca587b403bc5d58618264c165e.jpg

Its quite a big depot! Don't suppose there is any chance it could be lost in there....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Straighter leading edge, less span & thinner foil. Supposed to be better in lighter lift

Also 2 different tail sizes are now available. Wings ARE interchangeable with FS3-6

FS5 to FS6 comparison.jpg

• Like 1

Looking forward to the photos Peter and an opinion on build and flight comparison to the fs5... Might even sway me to pullmy finger out and get an order in.

• Like 1

I couldn't resist a bit of red, white & blue for this one. Although I suspect the design will divide opinion 😉

Build quality is second to none, super stiff throughout. Wing is very thin 19.43mm at its thickest at the root, compared to 19.56 for the FS5. An interesting section, hard to tell if there is more camber, looks to me like there is more of a cusp in the top surface.

Can't wait to get it built, maiden next weekend...

20191121_190030.jpg

20191121_190104.jpg

20191121_190141.thumb.jpg.90fbfca8c7e710a0f5483e4abf79b039.jpg

• Like 8

Did you go for the HM F3F strong version? Scheme looks good

You cant really compare the roots as they will be very similar as the wings are interchangeable. It blends into the new aerofoils as it goes out :) 

I had a chat with Kjell Sture at the Welsh Open and he recommended the following layup:

Wing - outer C130HM carbon, thicker herex, inside C60HM
Fus - reinforced with C130HM

I suspect that it is the same as the F3F HM extra strong listed on the web site as that was the price.

I think it will come out about 2.3kg all up, which is quite heavy for a model designed for light winds but I have always gone for the heaviest / strongest layups available (saying that, there is a heavier Arkona editon layup available, I think these come out at over 2.4kg). Others prefer lighter wings in a light wind model, but who knows, I might decide I like it in all conditions and the lighter wings are not so great when you have a 4.5kg model in 22ms winds.

You are right about the sections, I think they had to tweak their RDS systems to get them to fit the thinner wing.

• Like 1

Didn't know thicker herex sandwich was available interesting.

Even on the FS5 you can see the root aerofoil bulge out to the FS3 design. Guess with the fuz to wing junction drag the extra thickness of the older thicker aerofoil there doesn't make much difference to the total airframe drag

Personally I was thinking, FS5 F3F strong for heavy winds and FS6 F3B light for lighter conditions

Nice one Peter! 

Yes interesting about the thicker Herex. The Cosmos (Matthieu Barrabes) is using solid core Airex with heavy UD and spread tow outside. Not sure  of relative merits other than dentability being more of a problem with solid core (less 'spring'). 

• Like 1

Stefan Bertschi

Ah Mr. Gunning is back to his classic design on the under side of the wing. 

The upper part reminded me of some Vikos Design a few years ago bu I got the message (a Manchester United supporter (red) in Scotland 🤣)

Have a safe maiden

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Redbird said:

Nice one Peter! 

Yes interesting about the thicker Herex. The Cosmos (Matthieu Barrabes) is using solid core Airex with heavy UD and spread tow outside. Not sure  of relative merits other than dentability being more of a problem with solid core (less 'spring'). 

Thicker sandwich will increase skin stiffness which in itself may increase whole wing stiffness in torsion etc.

Since the FS6 aerofoil is so thin the extra skin thickness will give even less room for the servos n links

• Like 1

Hi Rick

Yes, the fuse is the same. So are the tails as far as I can tell by measuring, same length and don't appear to be thinner.

The wings are definately thinner across the whole profile and 10mm shorter in span (per wing). The wing area looks very similar apart from the shorter span.