Comments and Advice On the Slingshot V5 Please

BigT

Comments and Advice On the Slingshot V5 Please. Is it a good first 1.5 m DLG?  Is it a pile of poo?

Any first hand experience on building flying? Here is a link to the ebay  item.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Slingshot-V5-KIS-HLG-DLG-SAL-F3K-Handlaunchglider/372801788204?hash=item56ccb7d92c:g:GzsAAOSwzO9doOkV

I think it’s a balsa or polystyrene foam wing. I had one a long time ago. 

i would not recommend it. It’s cheap for a reason. if you look through the build manual you will see it’s all a bit of bodge. Especially the fuselage. 

http://www.causemann.de/docu/manuals/docu_pdf/Slingshot_V5.pdf

My one at least had a proper carbon fuselage. (I still have it). The wing did not survive long, ok for a javelin style launch  

Save up and get something better.

Do you already have 1m DLG?

Ok good advice, it’s what I expected, if it looks to good to be true, it probably is. And yes I have a Hawk, the one that you helped with the repair on. It’s just that a comment t was made re bigger DLG fly better. 

22 hours ago, BigT said:

Any obvious do's and dont's with the Longshot?

In my opinion, you should stick with the Hawk for awhile and then put your money towards a more modern 1,5m DLG.  The Longshot is an old design and old construction/materials.  You are not going to get the real advantage of 1,5m DLG with Longshot when compared to a good 1m, which I think the Hawk is.   For example, I bet many people would be able to launch the Hawk at least as high or higher than the Longshot.    I wouldn't want you to be disappointed.  

Michael

Appreciate that I'm not in your predicament Big T but Michael's right IMO re keep going with the Hawk it will teach you a lot and like mentioned before you really will feel the benefit of a more modern DLG otherwise you will quite quickly get bored of the old model as you'll have rung as much out of it in a very short time frame.

Once you've got over the sheer fright of chucking up an expensive DLG you'll wonder what all the fuss was about. It's all upstairs trust me!

Cheers, Tony

7 hours ago, Neil Harrison said:

TORO 

Perhaps it would have been a better choice. Does the Toro have a better flight envelope than the Hawk Light wind wise?

17 hours ago, Tony said:

Appreciate that I'm not in your predicament Big T but Michael's right IMO re keep going with the Hawk it will teach you a lot and like mentioned before you really will feel the benefit of a more modern DLG otherwise you will quite quickly get bored of the old model as you'll have rung as much out of it in a very short time frame.

Once you've got over the sheer fright of chucking up an expensive DLG you'll wonder what all the fuss was about. It's all upstairs trust me!

Cheers, Tony

I don’t really have a problem with the money side of it if it’s good value. Personally I think the Hawk was not the right choice for a first DLG.  I do have a lot experience with large, over 7 kg power models and they do fly better than  small models so I assume it’s the same for DLG. Bigger flies better. 

19 hours ago, MikeDLG said:

In my opinion, you should stick with the Hawk for awhile and then put your money towards a more modern 1,5m DLG.  The Longshot is an old design and old construction/materials.  You are not going to get the real advantage of 1,5m DLG with Longshot when compared to a good 1m, which I think the Hawk is.   For example, I bet many people would be able to launch the Hawk at least as high or higher than the Longshot.    I wouldn't want you to be disappointed.  

Michael

I get that and it’s good advice, I  have read that 1.5 meter DLG have generally longer flight times and have a wider flight envelope so cope with windier conditions. I will keep my ear to the ground for any used bargains but I am not a big fan of second hand models unless I know the pedigree. 

Neil Harrison

The TORO is a much better model, probably the best 1m on the market, launches higher, better in wind and light lift.  With the correct settings it feels like a 1.5m

All Carbon and Rohacell cores!

Carbon + workmanship = $$.    Mass produced these are not.

Worth every penny If you ask me.  When I think how much I've flown my DLG's and the enjoyment they bring.

I’ve got a nice DLG. I did actually get it from Neil too, but I can’t afford £400 for a 1m to keep in the car.

(1.5m is just slightly too big) 

12 hours ago, SilentPilot said:

I’ve got a nice DLG. I did actually get it from Neil too, but I can’t afford £400 for a 1m to keep in the car.

To be clear to anyone else comparing prices, the £400 price includes build services too. It's listed at £240 for just the model at the moment.

• Like 1

On 14/11/2019 at 12:43, Neil Harrison said:

The TORO is a much better model, probably the best 1m on the market, launches higher, better in wind and light lift.  With the correct settings it feels like a 1.5m

All Carbon and Rohacell cores!

It’s a pity you didn’t tell me that fact during our telephone conversation when I asked advice and recommendations on a good beginners DLG. Following which I ordered a Hawk from you. 

2 hours ago, beamer36m said:

Why the move from the Hawk... What is the issue with it that is causing you to move onwards/upwards etc

I find the Hawk doesnt like any sort of wind so was looking for something that did. I did find the Hawk a challenge to build, ship in a bottle,  but learnt a lot from the experience and from the repair. I must admit I was surprised how fragile the light version is.  Also  I have always had a preference for larger models, bigger flies better in my experience so I thought a 1.5m might be  better for me, then I saw the prices! I have flown some pretty big super sized gliders but only from being aero towed from flat fields,  like the LET Ventus 8 meter.  I have also served my time as a tug pilot! 

I have probably entered into DLG at the wrong time of the year here in the UK so dont have the benefit of those flat calm  warmer days to experiment with any sort of good lift, but I get the buzz when I have found a small thermal if only for a 1minute.  But I only live 15 minutes from Ivinghoe Beacon, so thats an option for the right model.  I will keep my eye open for a used 1.5 but I am considering the Toro if it really does have a better operating envelope.