Comments and Advice On the Slingshot V5 Please

BigT

1 hour ago, MikeDLG said:

Sorry to hear that BigT. 

I have said it many times and will say it again.  With a DLG, if you ever get into any difficulty, pull the breaks immediately.  If you lose sight of it, lose orientation, if it does not seem to be responding correctly, anything, whatever the attitude of the glider.   Doing that will most likely save it from any serious damage if you pull the brakes when its over 30ft high or so.  It is a very good habit to try and program in to yourself.    Pulling the breaks will give you time to locate the model or re-orientate.   Even if you don't managed to get control of it before impact with something, damage will be massively limited.  

I am sure the hawk is repairable fairly easily.  Look for my thread about my Rev that repaired after I broke the wing in half.  I did put off for a year though!   Post some pictures of the damage if you want some advice.  

Good advice but it happened too quickly to react, I didnt even have both hands on the sticks. I will leave it hanging on the wall for now, maybe repair it one day, maybe.

Perhaps I should give the brakes thing a go as an experiment to see what happens.  by brakes I take it you mean full down flap?

4 hours ago, BigT said:

Good advice but it happened too quickly to react, I didnt even have both hands on the sticks. I will leave it hanging on the wall for now, maybe repair it one day, maybe.

Perhaps I should give the brakes thing a go as an experiment to see what happens.  by brakes I take it you mean full down flap?

Yes, brakes = full flaps down.   Providing you have an adequate amount of down flap, you'll be amazed how activating them corrects or mitigates a bad situation.  I did some tests putting my glider in to 'compromising' positions, such as banked right over, nose down and then pulling the brakes and taking hands of the sticks and it rights itself very quickly.  I was trying to see what would happen when using using full brakes as a failsafe mode.

The trick is to train/prepare yourself to activate the brakes the moment something happens that is out of your control.  No precision required, just bang the stick back.