Drone & Model Aircraft Code

Gliderchuck

Pete, by 'and similar' I was indeed referring to Amazon, but also Uber and other parcel delivery companies. Google's Wing was first to actually start deliveries in the USA though. Read the article below and the pretty big numbers at the end of it. 

https://venturebeat.com/2019/10/18/wing-launches-drone-delivery-in-christiansburg-virginia/

Apart from Google getting FAA approval in the USA, China has also recently issued a licence there to Antwork:

https://www.flightglobal.com/civil-uavs/caac-awards-first-licence-for-urban-drone-delivery/134949.article

The UK regulatory (registration/competency) system is rather similar to those being adopted in other countries. 

Do you doubt that drone deliveries will happen? Why do you think that regulation of low airspace is happening? I don't think anyone seriously believes it is for stopping terrorism.  The UK science and technology select committee report was very clear about that I thought. 

I think it's a desire to create the impression of a regulated orderly airspace, milk the licence fees (especially the big commercial ones), parity with other countries, make an easy avenue for enforcement against those without registration/competency, and make it look like the government is doing something about the incidents.

Not sure I understand Pete. The police and courts routinely enforce licensing regimes from pubs, shotguns to car related licences and registrations.

60k registrations so far X £9 = £540k. That's peanuts. The commercial opportunity for this airspace market is said to be worth billions. 

Let's face it. Us glider pilots are an irrelevance in the grand scheme of things.