Harriermate

New Member in Cumbria

Harriermate

Hi guys. Just moved to the Lakes (Ullswater) and am keen to find a site frequented by other R/C glider pilots. Been away from R/C for some time and. Am really keen to start slope soaring again . 
many hints or tips on who to approach (clubs) and where to go would be much appreciated.

Just bought an Aeronaut Bergfalke to build over the winter in anticipation.

Nigel

Edited by Harriermate
Typo spelling!

Tim Donald

Hi Nigel,

I am in a similar position to you,  just getting back into r/c after a long break.  I live in Penrith and fly slope in various places around the lakes and Dales.  Most are not recognised sites as there are so few people here flying but there are a couple of more popular ones (mostly ones you can drive to the top of !)  There is a small club called the North Lakes soaring club that have a site in Bewaldeth (North of Keswick) and another over near Cockermouth.    I have joined the Eden Valley Model Aero Club which is based just to East of Penrith along the A66.  They are a fairly small but friendly club but with a great big flat field and club house.    Although mostly power (and a couple of helis) there are some glider pilots too and quite a few are keen to come slope soaring with me.  They do a glider aerotow even every year and are happy for me to use a bungee high start.   I think there is a small waterplane club on Ulswater but I'm not sure of the details.   If you need any more help / contacts then let me know.   The EVMAC does not have a web site so it took me a while to find out about them !  Happy to show you the slope sites that I use once the current restrictions are lifted.

Tim.