Sign in to follow this  
oipigface

LDS Roll-drive pin fitting and removal

oipigface

The photo shows a roll-drive of the kind that come with models such as the Rotmilan and Stribog from RTG models. These work very well once they are installed but they aren’t easy to fit or to remove. I’m not quite sure what happened to the one I took out, but I’ve got this new one to put in:

7F66D933-71F9-4FB2-96C8-3CD9488EB1CC.thumb.jpeg.f82c3f8a3ccb6ba5eac49be9c7d1aff7.jpegP

The photo shows the 2mm diameter steel pin that is used to secure the pushrod, and the grub screw that retains it. I’ve slackened off the grub screw, and am now confronted with the difficulty of getting the pin out. In the past I’ve managed this by a number of varieties of brute force and ignorance, usually involving a hammer and a piece of wire (as well as much cursing and bruised fingers)  but I am wondering if there isn’t a better way. Does anyone know of any tool specifically designed to remove pins from holes? It is quite a tight fit, and is flush with the surface of the drive at both ends, so gripping it is not possible.

satinet

Doesn't the grub screw actually fit to the cam to the servo spline?

The pin on the ones in my avatar will only come out in one direction. I applied heat with a soldering iron and it came out ok. I assumed it had been tacked in with glue. Not sure it had but it came out.

oipigface
15 hours ago, satinet said:

Doesn't the grub screw actually fit to the cam to the servo spline?

There are two grub screws in these, and three threaded holes for them to fit in. The middle hole is to secure the pin, the other two are for the splines. Two are needed so that the screw is accessible whichever way the servo is oriented.

This one is new, so there is no question of glue. 

I had a look on the web for pin pushers. There seem to be two kinds. One is for pushing pins accurately into a piece of wood or board, the other for applying many tonnes of pressure to the enormous pins in caterpillar tracks. I thought there might be something like the latter (only smaller) that I could use. Otherwise it’s back to wire and hammer.

Redbird

A bicycle chain link extractor pushes the rivets out but still too large for this job. I think a pin punch is what you need though I don't have one. They have nice flat ends. You could perhaps use a ground drill bit rather than wire. 

isoaritfirst

they also make pin pushers for watch straps

• Thanks 1

oipigface

Well done, Mike! I think this will be just the job:

8E38B099-63F1-45D0-8DE8-4A10DDADBD58.thumb.png.ddc1614c2e6cc35c82279204aff9a10c.png