f3fisa

Drone Assist and NFZ

f3fisa

I hope that everyone that has passed their competency test has now downloaded Drone Assist on their mobile phone.

I say this because my local club has informed us that there is a temporary NFZ on 4th Dec covering a radius of 10 NM around Watford because of the Nato Summit.

This is from 0 to 2500ft and includes all model flying.

I hope no one will fly in this area on Wednesday as otherwise we could see the 1st example of a prosecution.

The thing to note is that as we are all registered now, there is no excuse to disobey the NFZ regulations.

David

• Thanks 1

satinet

What about those without a smart phone or data connection. Given the demographics of the hobby now this is not entirely unlikely.

Doing a 10nm exclusion is nothing more than a pathetic piece of security theatre. I doubt they will be closing the roads. Where is danger more likely to come from. 

• Like 1

oipigface

I remember the last NATO summit at Newport. The exclusion zone for that included the more easterly parts of the Bwlch, but not the Crest. Since there were a couple of lovely days with easterlies blowing, I went up there thinking no one would notice, but there was a helicopter patrol very much in evidence. Since I was outside the zone, I wasn’t disturbed.

pete beadle

Hi Tom

This is a perfect example of what we're going to be confronted with in the future now we're (all?) on a/the Drone Flyers List/Register:yes:......

The "exclusion zone" is only notified to interested parties (now including us)because it's on the Security (SO18's?) "to do" list and the only people it's going to warn are the guys on the Drone Flyers List and the terrorists/criminals

The terrorists/criminals are just going to get on with what they want to do, happy in the knowledge that our police and security service(s) will be out of their way checking model flyers registration numbers of the flyers  who are on the Drone Flyers List.........classic!:frantics:

Murphy's Law strikes again!

Regards

Pete the cynic

BARCS1702

Steve J
4 hours ago, pete beadle said:

The "exclusion zone" is only notified to interested parties (now including us)because it's on the Security (SO18's?) "to do" list and the only people it's going to warn are the guys on the Drone Flyers List and the terrorists/criminals

Pete the cynic

'Pete the ignorant' would be a better description. 

Temporary airspace restrictions (RA(T)) are published on the NATS AIS website. Drone Assist is simply a convenient way for responsible modellers to access them and other NOTAMs.

pete beadle

Hi SteveJ

Thank you for your measured and informative response

It was appreciated

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

f3fisa

Until recently I have only been made aware of NOTAMs due to the new regulations.

I wonder how many times I or others have breached a NOTAM in the past.

I suppose it's a bit like driving and the Highway code, until you take your driving test you do not know the rules about speed limits etc.

David.

• Like 1

pete beadle

Hi David

You've hit a raw nerve there:yes:

It seems that most beginner/learner drivers these days are no longer taught by BSM, or similar driving schools,  so they are simply not aware of the legal and safety provisions included in the Highway Code. Indeed, it appears that most of then have never read it, so most of them are literally an accident waiting to happen on our roads

Add to this that most of them have never driven on a motorway either,  and you have a recipe for bad driving that stays with them until their deaths in car accidents on motorways

As a lot of you know, I drive a tank.....sorry a Volvo V70 estate which I bought for my retirement and to be able to negotiate modern roads in comparative safety. It has already saved my life twice in accidents I was not responsible for, and I really despair of the future on our overcrowded roads

Add to this the fact that the CAA and DoT cite our overcrowded skies as being a good reason for these new regulations, fills me with foreboding on the fate of the skies I need to fly my model gliders in,......... let's face it the CAA's qualification test really is a very bad joke.......still, you never know, Amazon might change their minds about the cost/viability of drones as delivery systems.......yes. I know, pigs might fly!:(

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

John Minchell

So, being a legally registered duly paid up compliant model flyer and not having had a phone call or email or FB post or whats app or verbal contact or any other kind of communication from the "authorities".  How is said model flyer supposed to know the geographic location of a NFZ to be able to comply with it if he isn't told about it.

Do we (legally registered flyers) all now have to look at Notams before every flight?  Where is the instruction for us to do that?

John M

satinet
19 minutes ago, pete beadle said:

Hi David

You've hit a raw nerve there:yes:

It seems that most beginner/learner drivers these days are no longer taught by BSM, or similar driving schools,  so they are simply not aware of the legal and safety provisions included in the Highway Code. Indeed, it appears that most of then have never read it, so most of them are literally an accident waiting to happen on our roads

Add to this that most of them have never driven on a motorway either,  and you have a recipe for bad driving that stays with them until their deaths in car accidents on motorways

As a lot of you know, I drive a tank.....sorry a Volvo V70 estate which I bought for my retirement and to be able to negotiate modern roads in comparative safety. It has already saved my life twice in accidents I was not responsible for, and I really despair of the future on our overcrowded roads

Add to this the fact that the CAA and DoT cite our overcrowded skies as being a good reason for these new regulations, fills me with foreboding on the fate of the skies I need to fly my model gliders in,......... let's face it the CAA's qualification test really is a very bad joke.......still, you never know, Amazon might change their minds about the cost/viability of drones as delivery systems.......yes. I know, pigs might fly!:(

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

To be fair Pete drivers now are required to do a theory test, which involves questions on the highway code. You don't even have to have a man with a red flag in front any more ;) They are also required to do a hazard warning test, which is sort of a computer simulation.  A lot of drivers on the roads however, don't hold uk licences  I would imagine.   From what I've seen, for example from the trouble and strife and other people I know, it is a lot harder to pass a driving test nowadays than it was in the halcyon days of my youth, or your youth.

The CAA or BMFA test are pretty much a box ticking exercise. I think most non flyers could probably pass, especially as you can just repeat them ad infinitum.  I.e they are essentially data collection exercises, veiled as "safety". The catch all word that excuses all ills. 

In my view the idea that amazon et all are going to be filling the skies with drones is unrealistic. I forsee all the same problems that they had with trying to introduce free bikes in places like manchester.  Even if this proves to be true the state rarely if ever gives back power so likely the registration system will carry on indefinitely. 

• Like 1

paul w
23 hours ago, satinet said:

Doing a 10nm exclusion is nothing more than a pathetic piece of security theatre. I doubt they will be closing the roads. Where is danger more likely to come from. 

... and while they're at it how about a kitchen knife registration scheme with online competence test, that'll help cut down the number of terrorist attacks won't it?

• Haha 1

SilentPilot

Operator number on all knives over 250g 🤣

Steve J
4 hours ago, John Minchell said:

How is said model flyer supposed to know the geographic location of a NFZ to be able to comply with it if he isn't told about it.

Do we (legally registered flyers) all now have to look at Notams before every flight? 

May I draw your attention to point 6 of the Drone and Model Aircraft Code.

Brett82

I use Drone Assist from NATS which works fine but I have also downloaded the SkyWise app which is supposed to give all these notifications about restrictions. I am registered and logged in but when ever I look for alerts there are none. It never shows any using the app.

Going on the SkyWise website it shows all the alerts just fine. I was just wondering, has anyone ever received any alerts using the SkyWise app? 

John Minchell

Steve J

Thats all well and good, but there are modellers in my club who don't have internet, or a smart phone and have no idea where to find the drone app or how to buy it etc.

Just because the regs say something, does not mean every model flyer has access to it or the knowledge to obtain the necessary tech, never mind use it.

Poorly thought through regs as many have already said.

Even point 3 is incorrect as under 7kg there is no height limit of 400ft.

Steve J
14 minutes ago, John Minchell said:

Thats all well and good, but there are modellers in my club who don't have internet, or a smart phone and have no idea where to find the drone app or how to buy it etc.

They still have to comply with the law.

14 minutes ago, John Minchell said:

Even point 3 is incorrect as under 7kg there is no height limit of 400ft.

There is a 400ft height limit unless you have permission from the CAA. 

satinet
26 minutes ago, Steve J said:

They still have to comply with the law.

There is a 400ft height limit unless you have permission from the CAA. 

The police don't know the law either in the main.  PCs don't study the law. 

SilentPilot

How can they enforce law if they don't know it? 

satinet

That's a slightly strange question. Do you believe your average PC has a complete understanding of the thousands, if not millions of laws that are on the statute books.  I'm not saying they don't know more about it that your average member of the public but they hardly have exhaustive knowledge either.