Quantum F3F

Brett82

11 minutes ago, Baldyslapnut said:

Did you get to fly it?

No Greg

Just popped it together to take a photo. 

Got to install the IDS and servos yet.

Hopefully it will be in the air after Christmas. 

• 4 weeks later...

Had a great day with the first flight of my Quantum. 

Really impressed how good it was straight away. 

Did a few fine tweaks on the elevator and snap flap and got it fly on rail.

Very fast and smooth in the turns.

Looking forward getting out in a good blow and getting its belly full of ballast. 

Might even use it at next weekend's comp

20200104_094834.jpg

20200104_105318.jpg

• Like 9

It looked really good Les. I cant wait to see it flying in a comp soon. 

Hopefully both of ours will be flying in comps before the end of the winter league. 

• Like 1

Got to maiden my Quantum yesterday. Bit if advice, even after 4 hrs of programming, checking everything 20 times then checking again on the slope, it's still possible to have the ailerons reversed...:blush:

Well, no damage and I manage to reprogram my radio on the slope for a quick maiden. After the first crash I wasn't feeling confident so I just did a short flight then landed.

Still need to fix a few programming issues before doing some F3F practice. 

20200112_121354.jpg

20200112_121318.jpg

20200112_113038.jpg

• Like 3

Glad you got away with that one Brett.

I did it with the rudder on a big slow scale jobbie, took a while to work out why the turns were so 'orrible.

The other good one is copying a model memory and only reversing the ailerons in one flight phase thinking it was a universal change. Got away with it because I didn't change flight phase on the first flight but pre flight checks before the second flight caused a degree of consternation! 

• Like 1

Its amazing how easily it can be missed. I honestly did about 4 hrs of programming and checked it I don't know how many times, even just before the flight. Now I just need to get the confidence back up for flying it.

If it wasn't for the fact we had so much rain and the ground was wet and boggy I wouldn't have got away with it. 

Les seems to have his flying very well so there is no doubting its a good model to have in the line-up. I just need to now get some proper stick time with mine to get it dialled in to the point where I can start racing it. 

Quantum number 2 on order.

I'm that impressed with how the Quantum has performed over the last two outings iv decided to order another one in a heavier lay up.

Going for a similar colour and design to the photo.

Going to see if they will do and double carbon c80 plus c160 with carbon Dbox. 

20200113_183320.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Baldyslapnut said:

That will be invisible on a cloudy day Les.

Greg

Shouldn't be .

The fuzz will orange with white nose cone,all carbon underside with two white stripes. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Baldyslapnut said:

That will be invisible on a cloudy day Les.

Greg

sun always  shines on the Mynd

• Like 1

2 hours ago, isoaritfirst said:

sun always  shines on the Mynd

They must be washing the windows at the Gliding Club today then Mike.

image.png.27a43d6201429cc9a192f1551302226e.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Looking forward to whizzing against these Quanta!

Brett I think you qan be qlever without being qrude. smiley

• Haha 1

Been out with the Quantum again today with a very cold 20knt wind wind and snow flurries between flights. 

As soon as a sniff of thermal came through she was on tap and going fast and tight in the turn.

I loved doing reversals with her today,just seemed to accelerate in each turn.

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Redbird said:

Looking forward to whizzing against these Quanta!

Brett I think you qan be qlever without being qrude. smiley

Lol, it was a team deqision... I qant take all the qredit (or blame)

• Haha 1

Just a third then, ok. Team not addressable so tackled one of you on it. Hope you change it to  something qlever or even funny.

To keep on topic though, I hope you are enjoying your new glider as Les seems to be. Nuther smiley.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Redbird said:

Just a third then, ok. Team not addressable so tackled one of you on it. Hope you change it to  something qlever or even funny.

To keep on topic though, I hope you are enjoying your new glider as Les seems to be. Nuther smiley.

Hey buddy, I used to play ruby so being tackled is nothing new. lol. 

We had a chat and we are going to change it, it was supposed to be a link to the Quantum's but obviously we dont want to offend anyone. We have sent it to Mark to change but I dont think the application on GBSRA will update, I think it will only change for the comp.

Regarding the Quantum, I haven't had as much success as Les so far. Ive not flown much lately and the one time I did take it with me I made the school boy error of having the ailerons reversed. So the moment Les launched I tried to correct a wing going up, only the correction went the wrong way and it ended up rolling over and diving straight into the ground like a javelin. Thank heavens the ground was soaked so the nose went straight in, no damage at all. I changed the settings on the radio and had a flight but because I felt like I was rushed and after the crash I didnt enjoy it. Also, because I was rushed, not all the settings were right and I only realised I had almost no aileron movement with full crow, so that made the landing even more stressful. 

Since then I have only flown once and as it was +40mph winds so I didnt take it with me. Hopefully soon, I want it ready for the Summer league comps. 

I had a quick fly with les's Quantum on Sunday Bruce . Seems nice enough   was a bit over sensitive on the elevator for me   so didnt try anything to aggressive but its agile and pretty viceless and seemed to pick up speed well when some nicer air came through .

Andy

• Like 4