Sign in to follow this  
Tony

Anyone built a "Harmattan" in the 70's?

Tony

Lovely looking lines a bit different from the rest  of the 100" at the time. Designed by Chris Morgan in 1977 who I believe was a BARCS member. Quite surprised in a good way the wing  section is a bit like the AG24 series, slightly thicker. I'll have to do some comparisons in Profili to find out what he used as obviously the AG's weren't around then. Rolled ply fuselage similar to DE's Algebra fuselage. Flat 1/8" sheet tailplane, which is really big when you look at it on the plan and I'm a bit surprised at it. It's a bit agricultural when you look at the mounting detail as well.  If I build it out of 1/8" sheet it'll get some carbon and glass on it to keep it flat. 

Any of you "Older and Bolder" members ever see one or flew against?

Cheers, Tony

pete beadle

Hi Tony

Have you seen these? - for a plan from Sarik for £12.50.......

Regards

Pete

BARCS 1702

rm187-harmattan.jpeg

Harmattan.docx

Tony

Hi Pete

Got the plan and the Nov '77 Radio Modeller in which it was published. The wing and fuselage are quite sophisticated for the era but the tailplane goes back to when Ben Hur was a lad lovely looking model though and it must have worked. There's no pre shaping with soaking in water for the fuselage it's contact adhesive all the way. Not a fan of this so I'm tempted to do a bit of soaking and shaping just like the Algebra fuselage however as the wing saddle and cockpit are cut out prior to shaping this could be a problem as it would likely splinter down the whole length so I need a bit of thinking room to work out before attempting anything. 

Cheers

Tony