BMFA renewals

SilentPilot

Hi,

I'm  not entirely sure if this question is allowed and/or relevant due to it being BMFA business and not BARCS.
I have sent an inquiry to the BMFA and I'm awaiting their response.

What I'd like to know is if there is any way I can add my CAA registration to my renewal.
I don't see an option to add my Operator ID or Flyer ID.

Tony 😐  

I have received my B M F A renewal till 31st December 2020, and now registered with CAA, but the reg number for the CAA, is not there. It would appear that this is going to be issued til New Year.

Find it strange that your BMFA number could not have been used for the CAA registration.

Your CAA ID should be sent to you via email.

I have both mine. Thanks PB, I’ll look into the “Personal Details” part of BMFA :) 

John Minchell

My understanding having spoken (well emailed) with Dave Phipps, is that because of the exemption all BMFA members have till January 31st the CAA will be issuing the operator ID numbers in early Feb (to those who registered through the BMFA).  Also the number will be temporary (ie for 1 year only).  After the EASA regs are issued and CAA falls into line with them in June/July 2020 then the new ID number issued at the end of 2020 for 2021 season that new number will then stay with you each renewal thereafter.  So don't make this year's number too permanent on your models, as it will need to be changed for 2021 - but then will become permanently yours like your BMFA or driving licence number.

John M

1 hour ago, SilentPilot said:

Thanks PB, I’ll look into the “Personal Details” part of BMFA :) 

Nope.

Can't even find Personal Details section :(

I would take the BMFA test, wouldn't that be another £9 though?

I would like to take my "A" but I'm not in a club. Can't afford that either :(

BMFA online test is free no additional £9. I think you can take the A test at the BMFA centre and apart from paying for the day as a visitor flying I think you can take the test for free. You'd need to arrange I guess.  Not 100% sure on the latter but I think they run weekend workshops on certain dates were you can take the test.

Tony

I have a Silent Flight 'B' which is a consequence of my holding the BARCS/BMFA Gold gliding achievement awards when the BMFA Achievement Scheme started.

PB,

I like to keep my ship in order. I would like to inform the BMFA (my governing body when I fly models) that I have passed a test and I'm legal to fly.

I'd like to do this just for my peace of mind.

6 minutes ago, SilentPilot said:

I like to keep my ship in order. I would like to inform the BMFA (my governing body when I fly models) that I have passed a test and I'm legal to fly.

I don't think that they care what your OP or FLY numbers are. 

You have registered directly with the CAA. You have done the CAA test. You don't need to bother with the exemptions. All that you have to do is put your OP number on your toys and go fly.

John Minchell

No SP the BMFA don't need to know, you just need to put your OP number on your models - but not too permanently (see my earlier post) as the number will change for 2021.

If you had taken the BMFA equivalent to the CAA online test then they would know.

There are silent flight equivalents to the power acheivement A and B tests, both for flat field thermalling and slope soaring.  Also, you can get an examiner come along to your local club slope or club field and conduct your test, you do not have to go down to Buckminster - but obviously that is an option if you want.

John M

I find it quite astonishing that the BMFA don’t care to find out if their members are legal or not!

There should be a menu where you state your Operator ID and Flyer ID or confirm that you only intend to fly sub 250g models.

Ok, I'm rather confused now.

Just renewed my BMFA, added the £9 for the CAA thing. Paid, all done. 

Never asked to take any online test even though it was showing a valid CAA registration on my profile, so I went back to the BMFA home page and used their link to take a online test. Passed.

So now how to I get a OP number? Because I haven't been supplied with one after paying and taking the test. 

Edit: looks like because I have done it all through the BMFA I'm good to go and don't need a OP or ID number now until end of Jan?

• Like 1

I think I read that you get your number sent to you (by email?) in February. Quite how that works I’m not sure, I thought they needed the ID on them now...

Maybe do Del Boy’s “Road Tax in the Post” trick and put a sticker on yours saying you are awaiting Operator ID.

then again... I thought I’d read that you had sold all your models and given up!