Nostalgia Video

f3fisa

Parts of this video were included in the recent Countryfile programme.

It was shot at Ivinghoe Beacon in 1963

It was sourced from Les Moulster and shows an insight how things have changed in the past 56 years.
Some of the people are still alive.
If you recognise anybody please post their names.

David

• Like 1

OMG......a square orange drone      a dog not on a  lead ...somebody smoking a pipe ...and im sure I saw PB's Volvo 

excellent David 

A great piece of soaring, and social history. Interesting  to see families out enjoying the hobby. Good to note that insurance was required back then too. Really fun to watch. 

Brian, you're showing your lack of age! Too many fliers? That's because they ALL had at least one spare pair of crystals in their bags! and most ex-Scouts like myself heeded the Scout motto of "Be Prepared" by having two or even three spares!.....and, don't forget, unlike competition flyers we flew on both "odds and evens"

Don't think so Pete, as it looks like a lot of the gear shown were reed outfits and those that had Xtals were fixed and not interchangeable, also Super Regen was not crystal controlled. First set I had Single Channel was an F&M Echo where you tuned the Rx in. Futaba in 1972 really started the interchangeable Xtals, as it came with 6 in the set. Some used reversed Xtals and some strange ones sold by Teleradio . Oh yes flairs were in the future in 1963.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pete beadle said:

Hi Brian

David Woods and Brian Grace are my contribution.....I HATE these videos! Luckily I don't remember ever being there when Graham Woods and others were producing them, that usually showed us all enjoying ourselves,  flared trousers, Zapata moustaches, "M" series Futaba Tx's, Fleet and Skyleader ones, l-o-n-g aerials with pennants at the tips pointing out the wing strength and direction.

Pete

BARCS1702 

Hi Peter,

I think you were looking at another video I posted earlier from the 1980s.

I was not flying models until 1975, but John Beer who is in the 1963 video was a thermal mentor of mine. Also George Bushell is also there.

I think you had just turned 16, so you wouldn't have been able to drive your Volvo.

David.

46 minutes ago, f3fisa said:

Hi Peter,

I think you were looking at another video I posted earlier from the 1980s.

I was not flying models until 1975, but John Beer who is in the 1963 video was a thermal mentor of mine. Also George Bushell is also there.

I think you had just turned 16, so you wouldn't have been able to drive your Volvo.

David.

If I remember rightly, George was a PITA with some of his comments. Was that Nick Neve in a shot? Met John Beer, when he flew in the first Thermal Comp I arranged in Chelmsford, Grt Baddow School.

Probably would not have been able to Push the Volvo, let alone drive it😃

I saw George Bushell too.  I also saw  Tony Slater of the Leatherhead Club with his pipe and ‘Slarmi’ chuck glider..  I might have spotted John Dumble too and maybe Dick Godden?

1 hour ago, pete beadle said:

Oddly, by then I was motorcycle racing with a Cotton "Telstar" 250, and I got my ACU International racing licence before I got my road bike licence, those were the days, "pudding basin" helmet, 2nd hand leathers held together by tape........thumbing a lift to Liverpool and back for the TT races - marvellous!:thumbsup::)

I have to say, the luminaries mentioned so far were totally unknown to me.....my competition history began with an Aquila 100", I wasn't even thinking about the Proton 140's then, they came later. I missed "Buutun man" radios by about a year, and was saving up for a "Reptone" four-channel set when the whole R/C radio scene changed with the introduction of plastic trannies with sticks......my first was an Acoms four channel which I quickly exchanged for a pre-owned Futaba  "L "series in high-impact plastic.....27megs on yellow.....and the rest is (not quite) history

Pete

Oh yes the helmets! There was a shop which sold retro bike bits in leytonstone called Cornu Copia that had a sign up " No Cheques,not even for Porkers in Corkers"😄😄

Read Chapter 2 in my book, that will get you up to speed on the 60's

Brian

Graham Woods

We're not quite done with Nostalgia yet. Here is a compilation of film clips of model aircraft from perhaps as early as the late 40s or early 50s judging by the cars. Other clips are later it seems.

It features diesel control line, free flight rubber and glow fuel models. It seems to have been filmed in southern England at rallies/competitions.

It may be not much fun for most of you since it runs for 30 minutes, so be warned, but old timer aficionados may find it interesting and even evoke some saudade as the Portuguese say.

Graham Woods

I say old chap proper commentary you sound somewhat like the BBC World Service. Loving it, shirts and ties to boot, excellent. Don't care if they are powered as it's making me smile!

Love the Nostalgia films Graham, I even didn't mind listening to the music. Early footage of rc flight is rare. Well done for immortalising it.

Graham Woods
55 minutes ago, Tony said:

I say old chap proper commentary you sound somewhat like the BBC World Service. Loving it, shirts and ties to boot, excellent. Don't care if they are powered as it's making me smile!

Weren't me 'guv it was the inn'ernet wot dun it .

http://www.fromtexttospeech.com/

On 24/12/2019 at 14:45, pete beadle said:

Hi Brian and all

My apologies, this was the series of films I was referring to, also posted by David Woods, but on the ISA forum

This was the series of clips I was referring to

Sorry!

Have a look at these.....from the 80's, not the 60's and placed on Youtube as a "series" by David, and featuring the fashion of the 80's - I hadn't realised the video 

was the original rather than the others David has found

Sorry, sorry, sorry

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

I learned to fly at Ivinghoe in the late 70s and belonged to the club for several years . But I don't remember any of the members carrying a Sawn of Shotgun in their car boot !!

13 minutes ago, barry h said:

I learned to fly at Ivinghoe in the late 70s and belonged to the club for several years . But I don't remember any of the members carrying a Sawn of Shotgun in their car boot !!  I assume this relates to the other FOX ! . I can remember at the time standing on the West facing slope and thinking that you could see all of his crime sites from the top. I remember going home and saying to the misses that I wouldn't be too surprised if he hadn't visited the slopes at one time or the other. Living in the area we had a few sleepless nights .  I believe that he did fly of the slopes at some time or the other but cannot remember his name..

13 minutes ago, barry h said:

I learned to fly at Ivinghoe in the late 70s and belonged to the club for several years . But I don't remember any of the members carrying a Sawn of Shotgun in their car boot !!

Graham Woods
On 01/01/2020 at 15:14, pete beadle said:

Hi Graham

I thought you were going to put the film of your Xmas Day Out with David next? That's what I'M waiting for:yes:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Here you go Pete:

Did it this afternoon. B&W images from Mike Shellim.

Christmas Day 2019 on Ivinghoe Beacon.

https://youtu.be/4h3JBVxBlp4

• Like 1