F3K and Mozzy 14-day challenges 2020

tonym

Beautiful sunny day on Yorkshire looked very promising but the best I could do with the Elf was 36 seconds. Oh well 

Happy New year to all.

Terry.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I've not posted for a while but thought I would send in my best flight from this afternoon.  I managed an 8.40 in light lift which took me to only around 250ft - a small Hobby/ Marlin helped signal the thermal I hooked up with which was nice.  The local kites couldn't be bothered by the look of it as I didn't see any in the air. 

The Snipe I was flying has turned 8 years old now and seen a lot of action- it has a few battle scars but is still enjoyable to fly.  

Simon Jones, F3K, 8 mins 40 secs, 19.01.20.

• Like 2

Great to hear from you @Simon Jones

New format for recording the challenges, just this thread with the 1st post being updated with all challenge winning times. If it works I'll keep it - if not it'll be back to separate threads.

Hi Simon - great to see you back on the forum.   Hope you are well.

Was a joy to get out at the weekend - finally some high pressure and my first proper fly since October.       Quite breezy on Saturday but air active.    Managed to hook up 2 thermals and do a 12:27.     Got out yesterday too for an hour.   Much calmer but air less active,   lift super light and fizzled out double launch height.    Managed a 12:20 with my lighter NXT.

Just nice to get out and fly really.

• 1 month later...

First flyable day since January!!!    Breezy but warm in the sun and some nice lift kicking off the trees downwind.      Visibility was really poor a long way downwind - or I need new glasses.    Started a 5x2 task but started to enjoy the lift so carried on.      Hooked up some nice low level lift with 2 red kites and managed to out climb them - my camera battery died so didn't capture it.

Roll on spring!

image.thumb.png.fb05bdd211d676277782daa750c5eb24.png

David | Pink NXT | 26 minutes  |  6th March 2020

• Like 2

Nice one David.

I went out one day early in the week when the weather was OK - some sun and just a light breeze. Didn't do better than 1:45 and then the sky clouded over and it became a different day - cold, poor air and not so nice - so I bailed and went back home.

I've added two new classes - Sportsperson F3K and Sportsperson Mosquito. It's all very well 'us' experts getting long flights but it may be disheartening to the many sports flyers out there thinking 'I can't beat that!' So Sportspeople, when the weather improves, lets see some times.

Expert = pilots that fly (or have flown) thermal duration contests - F3x & F5x classes, eSoaring, Kent leagues, Bartletts Leagues, etc.
Sportsperson = everyone else 🙂

• Like 2

Took the opportunity to have an hour at the recreation field. Nice buoyant air a few thermals, one that gave me:

TonyM | expert | Mosquito | Hawk Mini | 4:48 | 13th March

Today I spent a lovely hour in splendid isolation in a friend's back garden - aka Fred's polo fields.

TonyM | expert | F3K | XXLite | 5:39 | 25th March

2014812136_2020-03-2512_09_36.thumb.jpg.5a46a9487bab971d9c77dc7da7330122.jpg

Yes it was lovely wasn't it.    Breezy but lots of strong lift.         Looks like Mr Stern has been out this week too.

What are you feeding that DLG Tony? ;)

• Like 1

I have been out, had some lovely flying. I did a couple of 10min flights, but I think you are supposed to report flights within a day for the 14day challenge?

Just been out for some exercise with the Hawk Mini. I'm lucky enough to have a big recreation ground within walking distance that is bounded by a meadow with paths made by dog walkers. I fly from one of the paths well away from the recreation ground, though I can be I'll be circling over it if I pick up some lift in the prevailing SW breeze.

100% overcast, light breeze, fickle lift, quite cold:
TonyM | expert | Mosquito | Hawk Mini | 2:31 | 1st April

Out for daily exercise this lunchtime. Feeling even more lucky to have the field 100m from the front door these days. 

Overcast, colder than I thought it was going to be and a light breeze. 
Forth flight hit a significant thermal and rode it slowly downwind for about 6 or 7 minutes. More lift on the way back and could have stayed up for much longer but didn’t have time. 
PaulR | expert | F3K | BAMF | 13:58 | 1st April

2A906850-0983-4F8F-B46D-21342291BD37.jpeg

I too went out yesterday.  Lovely conditions, light wind, lift, clear air and high cloud.  I am sure I could have done over an hour, but got tired looking up high.  Moved around the sky and managed a 30:09.  Even high up the model was easy to see.  I am guessing this reduced social activity is giving us clearer air.  I am particularly impressed with the almost 4 straight minutes of nearly 5ft/sec climb rate!

MichaelS | expert | F3K | Vortex3 | 30:09 | 1st April

968113807_ScreenShot2020-04-01at13_25_57.thumb.png.b3b8625bf78db581a6e7da3a549624ad.png

• Like 3

Nice flight Mike - stonking bit of lift!

I'll make a small change to the Sportsperson category to open the class up to people that have flown thermal competitions but are in their first season or two of competitive flying (blown out for this year 😞 ). If you become some kind of maverick thermal sniffer overnight then you'll go in to the expert category tout de suite 🙂

I'd really like to see some times from Sportsperson fliers even if its only 30 seconds - it gives you and others something to build on. Hopefully as the weather improves those that have suitable places to fly can get out there and chuck their DLGs around.

I'd also really, really like to see an expert or three putting in times in Mosquito - its not a great look as at the moment its the Tony M class 😳

• Like 1

i was half tempted to post some crazy time yesterday with it being April Fools - but thought better of it.     Nice flight Mike.      There's a thread on RCG about fastest climb rates for a DLG (vertical speed challenge).   One guy posted over 3.2 meters per second!!!   

Mike S what do you use for your graphing software?

Mike F is still the only recorded person to log over an hour for mosquito class.     Impressive!

Mike F                         25th July 2012                          1:01:44

34 minutes ago, SilentPilot said:

Expert! 

Is that new criteria? We have to disclose skill level now :D

Oh yes Tony - see my post above (7th March) and the top thread on page 1.

In my best Hughie Green voice (another dodgy character from the 70s) 'I really want to see those Sportspeople' 🙂