F3K and Mozzy 14-day challenges 2020

tonym

SilentPilot

Just opened the full page from the quote,

I’ll download that to my PC later. Setting up the transmitter might not be easy though. I do have a Phoenix dongle and a RealFlight dummy transmitter but they don’t seem to work on anything other than their own software. I have got a USB to trainer jack dongle too but I’ve never managed to get it working :( 

7 hours ago, cirrusRC said:

i was half tempted to post some crazy time yesterday with it being April Fools - but thought better of it.     Nice flight Mike.      There's a thread on RCG about fastest climb rates for a DLG (vertical speed challenge).   One guy posted over 3.2 meters per second!!!   

Mike S what do you use for your graphing software?

Mike F is still the only recorded person to log over an hour for mosquito class.     Impressive!

Mike F                         25th July 2012                          1:01:44

I use the OpenAltimeter software as I use OpenAltimeters. 

I have seen that rc  groups thread. I am trying to remember when I did flight in a very strong lift. I may have browse through my old flight logs a while. 

Just been out for some exercise with the Hawk Mini again. Some blue sky poking through but no sun on me - boo! Didn't stay out long but the time below was got with a decent thermal that took me well back - as I've said before, the Hawk gets quite small, quite quick 🙂

90% overcast, light breeze, lift about, still quite cold:
TonyM | expert | Mosquito | Hawk Mini | 4:38 | 3rd April

• Like 1

made it out today for some mental / physical exercise.      Very changeable conditions.     Breezy / cold,    warm / calm and everything in between.         23 minutes was my best flight.      Was trying out the new tasks.       Task M  (Huge Ladder) proved a real challenge in the variable conditions.      Closest I got was below.

huge-ladder.thumb.jpg.d2a0576efaaf5a6f518166c63b203d85.jpg

Also had a really nice fast / smooth climb   @  3.3 meters per second.    I must have been bang in the core as it was so smooth.

fast-climb.thumb.jpg.3bc511d517c7aa75e310f0e1d920df1c.jpg

• Like 1

I have an 'Elf' sized recreational field next to my flat and I finally dug my old Elf out and had a go, since it's so warm and so calm.  In no time I was spec'd out and made a 12:41.   A couple of shorter flights followed and then a 13:52!  If i wasn't so worried about going too far away and the air was a bit clearer, I reckon a 1hr flight would be on the cards.   It got hard to see quite quickly!

MichaelS | expert | Mos | Elf | 13:52 | 11th April

• 3 weeks later...
StraightEdge

On 07/03/2020 at 17:52, tonym said:

I've added two new classes - Sportsperson F3K and Sportsperson Mosquito. It's all very well 'us' experts getting long flights but it may be disheartening to the many sports flyers out there thinking 'I can't beat that!' So Sportspeople, when the weather improves, lets see some times.

Expert = pilots that fly (or have flown) thermal duration contests - F3x & F5x classes, eSoaring, Kent leagues, Bartletts Leagues, etc.
Sportsperson = everyone else 🙂

On 02/04/2020 at 13:20, tonym said:

I'll make a small change to the Sportsperson category to open the class up to people that have flown thermal competitions but are in their first season or two of competitive flying (blown out for this year 😞 ). If you become some kind of maverick thermal sniffer overnight then you'll go in to the expert category tout de suite 🙂

I'd really like to see some times from Sportsperson fliers even if its only 30 seconds - it gives you and others something to build on. Hopefully as the weather improves those that have suitable places to fly can get out there and chuck their DLGs around.

I'd also really, really like to see an expert or three putting in times in Mosquito - its not a great look as at the moment its the Tony M class 😳

Well, I've got a large field on the edge of the village.  Best for thermal generation in Easterlies due to the lie of the land etc, but yesterday it was more Westerly, although it did get calmer as the afternoon wore on.  I only went out to re-trim my repaired GO Mini:  bent throwing tip (see dotted line) stiffened with carbon strip into the spar, and rubbish peg replaced with a Blaster type; also mullah'd nose reconstructed; flying weight now up from 150 to 170g).  A few mini-thermals were coming through but nothing I could easily read (no kites around to help!)  then unexpectedly scored a 2:21 flight.

JonM | Sportsperson | Mosquito | GO Mini | 2:21 | 2nd May

DSC_0097.JPG

PS: I notice that Armsoar, having long-since withdrawn the GO Mini from their line, have now learnt the lessons of its weak wing construction and have this to say about their latest 1m offering, the Deviant:  "While the model has retained a full-carbon structure, the foam core has been swapped from the GO Mini's XPS core to Rohacell for better stiffness, ease of build and repairs, and resistance to hanger rash."   Exactly!  🤨

• 2 weeks later...

So, since we are allowed out to play again, I ventured out with my repaired Revolution.  I was worried it might be a bit windy, but the Rev has a heavy wing and weighs 265g unballasted, so should be fine.  It was a little windy, but there was enough lift and was a lot fun.  Did a bunch of flights over about 1,5hrs between 2-7mins and one long flight where I was able to milk a street of lift multiple times to get really high, push forward until the next thermal, repeat.  Very glad to have the Rev flying again and it seems to be just as it was before a broke it.  I had just got the trim right before the 'cap' incident and was really enjoying flying it.

MichaelS | expert | F3K | Revolution | 30:27 | 14th May

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great to finally get out again.  Fab weather today.  Flew both light and regular NXT.  Lots of 20 min flights.

Never seen so many red kites in the air.  I was circling with over 10 at one point.

Flew ballasted most of the day as the infill was very strong and easy to get caught out downwind.

7 hrs of flying goes some way to satisfy the addiction after going cold turkey!!

Long may this amazing weather continue.

• Like 2

I'm just about finished assembling a Snipe I‘ve had kicking around for about 6 years, so  I went out to fly my old Snipe to get my eye/arm back in.  Got a 9+ at about 1745.  Now having a celebratory beer.

• Like 3

Pleasant morning at the field.    Flew my lighter NXT as still playing with the trim :)    Had to work hard to get away properly due to turbulence and narrow lift, but once over 150 meters, it was pretty straightforward.     Push up wind, find lift, follow back downwind,  repeat.        Had to come down at 34 minutes as low battery alarm was sounding.         Got to see Mike F's maiden of his new/old Snipe :) and also flying his F5J model - very nice indeed.

Resolved the issue of my G-RX6 wacko telemetry.     Seems when I de-cased it,  I didn't replace the foam over the pressure sensor.   Either that or there wasn't any to start with.    Anyway works fine now with some foam.

2ndjune-telemetry.thumb.JPG.eecad1ceab3ab434cb179128f4fe204c.JPG

David| expert | F3K | NXT Orange| 34 mins | 2nd June

• Like 3

StraightEdge

Very nice David.   I thought about taking my now battered and increasingly heavy GoMini out this morning, but felt disheartened by the extra challenge this presents to an already small DLG, so will wait till my Auri is finished over the next few days... useful thing the forthcoming bout of wet and windy weather!

PS - I was going to ask how you here how you've set things up to log altitude data, but I've created a separate thread for this: 

Mark Evans

Started to get out again, nothing special, just 4 minute flights but low 15-20m throws cause I popped my vert loose 2mins arriving at the field.

Although technically I could have posted a sportsman time but I also messed up my logging so nothing was getting recorded. Just nice being out, and my favourite type of weather, not too windy but nice grey skies. 

Really loving the Auri + Taranis combo, makes flying enjoyable for me again. 

AC59A778-F31B-46A8-AB56-7511E3D26569.jpeg

• Like 3

Marc RC pilot
1 hour ago, Mark Evans said:

Really loving the Auri + Taranis combo, makes flying enjoyable for me again

Great to hear Mark 👍 (Auri is on my no1 must have list...)