F3K and Mozzy 14-day challenges 2020

tonym

Remember, I spent more time buying planes than I did learning the important stuff, like knowing what those conditions would be like to fly in and arriving at the field prepared 😂

I was struggling big time today so proves to myself no plane can replace air reading skills. 

• Haha 1

StraightEdge

10/10 for self-deprecation! 

But when the weather is more settled - now looks like  early to mid next week onwards - you're going to have a blast! 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Nice flight Ben.

Ben leads both Sportsman challenges as times in the Mosquito class count in F3K too. Ben almost led all 4 classes (Sportsman times better than Expert times definitely count!) before I realised the date of the flight.

Both Expert challenges are renewed - David takes the 8th F3K challenge with 28:02 and I took the 4th Mosquito with a measly 2:05. I'll be slinging the Hawk Mini around on Wednesday and/or Thursday, might try my luck with the XXLite (F3K) too.

Edited by tonym
spelling
  • Like 2

Mike F, F3K, Vibe Mk 1, 6:01, July 29th.  Sorry Ben.

First time out with the repaired 'new' Vibe.  3.7 grams heavier.

Time should last until tomorrow before it gets beaten...

Repair added 3.7 grams.  I haven't dealt with the bruises they look bad but the worst is maybe only 0.5 mm deep and it flys OK.  I tried the steam thing but the skin is not porous.  You can see the worst dent in the picture - I got the angle right to light it.

I only did a couple of flights as it was very up and down and quite turbulent.  Wind was onto the trees as well.....

36D38766-F87D-461E-83D8-AC8CC631013C.jpeg

• Like 2

Sorry Mike, not even 'til tomorrow - when my 7:44 will be beat.

Tony M | Expert |F3K | XXLite | 7:44 | 29th July

• Thanks 1

Wow, 5yr old Vibes and XXLites, what’s this, retro week? 😃

Glad you got it fixed so quickly Mike.  I still have a NXT to fix.  

• Haha 1

Nice early session today. Busy later (times in telemetry data are not accurate though - not that early!).

Mainly very light, early morning lift, loads of camber and after a couple of minute managed to actually start climbing...

Paul R | Expert |F3K | CX-5 | 14:21 | 30th July

image.thumb.png.d1eba550a6fe7ce64641a1e986af0143.png

Talking of retro models, I must get my Steigeisen fixed - picked that up at the Munich Eurotour in 2008, obviously not flown enough because its not damaged beyond sensible repair - yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

If no one has kicked off the next round I’ll give you all a easy one to start off on. Really struggled today, any lift just seemed really light, I thought it would be brilliant today with the boiling clouds coming over and some really warm sun breaking through. 

If it was the same at Buckminster today it would have been interesting to see where people went after launch and how they made use of the weak lift, and if they regularly made their times.

Mark E | Auri | F3K | 4.04 | 16th August

7976494B-B48E-4A77-8144-B89B5240EFE0.jpeg

Spent the morning testing the plane with ballast to see what it feels like. Weather was nice enough to not need it but still found little bits of lift here and there. 

Although best I could do was beat my own time, still a poor effort though. 

Mark E | Auri | F3K | 4.59| 24th August

08B694BB-855C-497C-8C2B-4EB9F67BC676.jpeg

StraightEdge
5 hours ago, Mark Evans said:

Although best I could do was beat my own time, still a poor effort though.   

I disagree - all flying is 'good effort' and the more you do it the more practiced you'll become. 🙂

Today I was in some lift and as usual, as I leave it to come back upwind I don’t find anything and end up down in next to no time. I should stay in it longer before leaving.  Especially since I wasn’t even very high, and have to come back over some small trees/large bushes. It’s just me trying to be too clever and thinking I’ll find something else on the way back lol. 

StraightEdge

Mark, I'm amongst the least experienced thermal flier to advise you, except I'd say that "thinking you might find something else on the way back" from one thermal isn't ever really going to be of much help!

Instead, I'd spend the first 15-20 minutes of any given session sitting on the grass and studying the conditions - the frequency of thermals (time them), where they seem to be originating from (what could be tripping them), ground signs (crops, trees, bushes), airborne signs (birds, insects), as well as the direction and strength of the wind on your body and temperature changes.  Only once you've got a feel for the particular conditions of the day, and especially the average frequency of thermals over your launching site, should you start launching.

If, say, thermals seem to be generating at 2.5 minute intervals, then  coming back at 3.5 minutes is only likely to land you in sink!

• Like 1

Scratch my last post, 6.18 today, and even though it's a low time, I'm still pretty pleased with that. Got my plane flying great, I thought I flew well and was smooth, came home a happy chap today. 

Again, in hindsight I could have gone higher, could have gone to 100m easily and stretched the time out, baby steps to those big 30m flights, lol.

Mark E | Auri | F3K | 6.18| 28th August

27533D6E-D021-47D4-A0F9-BC7BEABB63A4_1_201_a.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Mike F, expert, F3K, Vibe Mk 1, 20:19, September 1st.

Repaired Vibe is going well and they are mowing the common today, so I can move further from the trees.  Lots of red kites showing the way - fab day.  I was in the air for about 80 percent of the 45 minutes I was out on the common - did about ten flights total.

• Like 1