F3K and Mozzy 14-day challenges 2020

tonym

Got out again - new Snipe this time.  Got a steer from a Red Kite for a best of 12:53 but it was very different from this morning. Long periods with very little help, breeze from time to time, great fun.

Good day - time to relax.....

7E47497C-A818-40ED-949F-5F3422251CD2.jpeg

• Like 3

Had an hour or so on my local common this afternoon  with only a gentle breeze which made a nice change as it's usually one of the windiest spots around being the highest ground around.

Lots of nice little patches of lift and managed a 18.25 with my NRJ without ever getting particularly high.

Great fun.

• Like 2

How are you guys doing those kinds times?! Lol, I need more practice.

@Paul Gleeson it’s Jespers program, although I have since found out the flight time part of the on screen log isn’t accurate since the logs start flight time as soon as you pull the launch switch. So if you pull launch preset but scout the sky, it’s still counting. The rest of the program  like the tasks and score keeping works correctly and is accurate, it’s just the logging part that is out a little. . But it’s good for on screen checks as you can view all telemetry so I have a quick check of my RSSI and frame losses on longer flights, no need to wait till you’re home and at a computer. 

I have a simple timer on my Taranis which is on a two position switch for on and off.

I have a momentary switch for up elevator when I launch and this is also the reset switch for the timer.

I leave the timer running and it resets every time I launch. If it's a good flight I switch the timer off when I catch the plane to see what the exact flight time was.

Nice Taranis lady also calls out the time every minute the plane is in the air.

Got it all from YouTube tutorials.

I finally got some stick time in the evening.

Absolutely flat calm, good time to tune the min-sink float time.

I was getting around ~1:50 from a ~40m launch, it that good?

7 hours ago, Paul Gleeson said:

.I was getting around ~1:50 from a ~40m launch, it that good?

Impossible to say.  Depends what the air is doing. From similar launches in apparently  ‘dead air’, I can get times varying from 1:30 to 3:30 or better sometimes.  So, depends what the air was doing 🙂

I have seen amazing calm 'dead air' in the evenings at the semi-desert sites in California.  I was flying an F1A (free-flight glider) and without trim changes a time would come when the glide times would improve flight after flight until dark the normal times would be up to 30-40% better at nightfall.

I have heard of a flyer using a 'reference model' and making alternate flights with that to judge any other model's dead-air performance difference.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had a awesome mornings flying today, could have set a really good time but I’m back on my Spektrum gear and kept forgetting to start my timer. So practiced a lot of re-launches and back to the same bit of lift when I wasn’t doing longer flights.

Some things I realised today, first, my elevator trim issues was just a very nose heavy plane, my own plane sweet spot is way back from the suggested cg, and secondly, in wind I’m not using enough weight. I have a 240g plane and 30g of ballast and even today where you could barely feel any breeze my plane still felt quite light and went up just as well with the ballast in. Need to make 60g at a minimum I think. 

3 hours ago, Mark Evans said:

I’m back on my Spektrum gear. 

What has happened with your new Taranis. Why have you decided to go back on your old radio?

Keep flying and experimenting. F3K is great :)

• Like 1

One of those rare flat calm days yesterday,  hazy cloud and strong sun.     Flying from the corn field behind parents place.    Only had a 40 minute window during lunch break,   An effortless 30 minutes.    No red kites up here, but was joined by a buzzard for some of it.     The lift steadily improved the longer I flew.  Plenty of aerobatics and inverted thermalling before I had to bring it down.     Shame I didn't have longer to fly as conditions were perfect.

thermal.thumb.JPG.5689352033f350e3b93d3515f1f21251.JPG

David | F3K | Expert | 32:37

• Like 4

Had a throw around with both the Hawk Mini and XXLite after finding the spinner cone off my El Nino at Bartletts Farm. A bit windy and the site is quite turbulent down low - which is where I launch too 😞

Tony M | Mosquito | Expert | 1:47

--------

Post 1 on page 1 updated

Gorgeous day here in Lawford - after the mist burnt off around 11am anyway.

Almost dead calm, a fraction of a breeze and a little more when a thermal moved through. I had several flights over 2 minutes, a couple over three, and a 4:21 - best was 8:24, the Hawk Mini was little more than a dot in a completely clear sky. I was disappointed not to find anything on the way back as I hoped I might be able to challenge David's 32min F3K flight.

Tony M | Mosquito | Expert | 8:24

• Like 3

On 01/09/2020 at 18:47, Mark Evans said:

it’s Jespers program, although I have since found out the flight time part of the on screen log isn’t accurate since the logs start flight time as soon as you pull the launch switch. 

Can this be altered so the log starts upon release of the launch switch? 

• Like 1

No idea, it only effects the logging that you can view in the telemetry screen on the field. The timers and the task screen all work correctly, they start upon release of the launch switch. 

You moving over to the dark side? Lol 

8 hours ago, SilentPilot said:

Can this be altered so the log starts upon release of the launch switch? 

Jesper's program is a tangled maze of logical switches, some you can see on the transmitter, others are buried in the LUA script he uses.

Probably very hard to do, you would need to contact Jesper's directly on RC Groups

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2578134-F3K-programs-for-OpenTX-transmitters/page109

Paul

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

11 degrees, grey sky, no wind and no feathered friends.     Wasn't sure what to expect as sky didn't look too promising.   Figured the lift would be super light and flights short.

Started with the Orange NXT,   worked some light lift and then started to get away properly.  12 mins in I lost my ailerons!!!  2nd time this has happened in 18 months with this model.   Managed to bring it down on full left rudder and made the field with no damage.    Change of underpants required!

1S 1000mah round cell,  reported 3.9volts.   On landing it started to work again and then went really slow until it stopped.    MKS in the wings that need more voltage than KST in the fuse.     Convinced these 1000mah Nanotech round cells are crap compared to the brilliant 1200mah cells (no longer available).    Pretty sure my wiring is fine.

Switched to my old pink NXT which I'd just repaired.    First fly since Buckminster when I creased the wing due to lack of repair after a midair the previous year (leading edge cracked which weakened the wing).       This model is old,  had many repairs and  held together with tape but still thermals better than the newer NXT.

Off the launch the lift was light,  had to work hard to double launch height.  At around 23 minutes I was in trouble and low,  I got a read and switched to super thermal mode,  right on the stall point but managed multiple saves before suddenly finding some decent and surprisingly strong lift.    Wound my way all the way to 400 meters.      Burnt off some height hoping to find the same lift but never found it.   Slowly came down to around 40 meters when I picked up some more light lift and the hour looked very doable.    At this point the sun made its first appearance of the day.    The lift went super turbulent and then fizzled out.   I eked out a few more minutes 10 meters off the deck and finally came down.       Was certainly not expecting such a good flight given the time of year,  temperature and lack of sun.    Very chuffed.     Gutted we didn't have a comp this weekend but this flight made up for it.

David | 55 mins 2 seconds | Expert | NXT | 17th October

nxtoct.thumb.JPG.ecfed6742dd6b4d2f6b246248bfe926e.JPG

• Like 1