tonym

F3K and Mozzy 14-day challenges 2020

tonym

This is a for fun challenge, anyone with a hand-launch glider that conforms to the F3K (up to 1.5m) or Mosquito (less than 1m) class can post a time.
Object: Fly your F3K or Mosquito class hand launch glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules: Fly safely. No slope soaring.

*New*
I've added two new classes - Sportsperson F3K and Sportsperson Mosquito.
It's all very well 'us' experts getting long flights but it may be disheartening to the many sports flyers out there thinking 'I can't beat that!'
Expert = pilots that fly (or have flown) thermal duration contests - F3x & F5x classes, eSoaring, Kent leagues, Bartletts Leagues, etc.
Sportsperson = everyone else 🙂

Post your times as follows:-.
Pilot Name, Expert or Sportsperson, F3K or Mosquito class, model name, length of flight minutes and seconds, plus date of flight. (Please do the posting within 48 hours of the flight.)

14d.png.8dc373bdd16b04fd7cd3e45adba941a6.png

SilentPilot

That Mosquito time aught to count for the F3K result too! 

Merry Christmas! 

tonym

Another lovely day here in Lawford. Very little wind, sunny and quite warm.

First discus launch (low power) with the Hawk and I'm in a thermal! Never managed to pick another one up though, the air was active but either the thermals were small and short lived or I just kept missing them.

It was strange flying the XXLite after slinging the Hawk around for a while. Obviously heavier (146g vs ~220g 248g) but the XXLite was just so much more sedate to fly, maybe I need to reduce the throws on the Hawk or possibly bite the bullet and add some expo. I got some odd beeps from my Evo when flying the XXLite so decided to go back to the Hawk in case I had a problem with the Rx battery in the XXLite.

Tony M, Mosquito, Hawk Mini, 3m 56s, 25th Dec.

Tony M, F3K, XXLite, 1m 50s, 25th Dec.

1036113123_2019-12-2513_31_45.thumb.jpg.a208530b473a4387b64e9088c6529622.jpg

Edited by tonym
add acurate AUW for XXLite
  • Like 1

tonym

Good point Tony - I forgot about that 🙂

It's Christmas - and I did have an F3K model with me so I'll leave a low starter for 1:50 in the F3K challenge.

SilentPilot

I did mean to have a go, I've got a couple of Mosquitoes in the car at all times, but the wind and rain just hasn't held off for me :( 

SilentPilot

You do seem to consistently get longer flights with shorter wings...
Maybe you should turn the XXLite into a "Clipped Wing" version for the Mozzie class :D 

• Haha 1

cirrusRC

The weather god's gifted me a fly on Christmas day.  First fly for 3 months.  Got out for an hour before food.

Couple of flights where I doubled launch height.  Didn't time them - was just blissful to be out flying in the sun.

Normal weather service resumed today.

Merry Christmas.

• Like 1

tonym

Tomorrow looks like it might be flyable (possibly Saturday too). Rain here again today to keep the water table up to just below the surface - everywhere is squelchy underfoot.

Tony, @SilentPilot, I fly the Hawk more than the XXLite so more likely to get good times. I'll be flying the XXLite more now hopefully - we'll see if I can get better times with a bigger model. Must get my early model Steigeisen with Swindell's tails flying again, only needs a peg and new battery to be airworthy.

SilentPilot

Same for me as it goes :D

My 1m gliders are always in the car with a transmitter and charger (I can use a lipo as a charger for them :))

My Vibe2 is ready to put some markers down but I'm still a bit shy when it comes to wanging that! 

Monz

Got out today for the first time since the last contest. Overcast and misty but no wind and the field was just mud which made launching difficult so just half throws.

F3K - CX5 - 2:21

MikeDLG

I went out for a fly the other day, but didn't time any.  Was good to get out there again.

Paul Gleeson

I was out yesterday, my field was like a pond.

Maidened my F5K eStark. All went well, climbs at about 5m/s at full throttle.

As Mike said, good to be out and flying something.

f3fman

I was out yesterday and my field was like a pond too ............................. ohh. ............sorry, .....   no,  .....  yesterday I was racing my DF95 yacht, it WAS a pond  🙂

SilentPilot
6 hours ago, Paul Gleeson said:

climbs at about 5m/s at full throttle.

I've forgotten the conversion ratio... is 5m/s 10kts?

Pretty respectable if so! 

tonym

A cloudless day here in Lawford, it was amazing just how many jetliners I could see it was so clear. A bit more wind - 6mph? - and a touch colder too.

Only took the XXLite today, could only increase the F3K time to:
TonyM, F3K, XXLite, 3:02, 30th Dec.

SilentPilot

I flew today in my local park.

I live in the FRZ of an International Airport so with these new regs I had to contact ATC for clearance to fly.

Prior to this I had to negotiate a flying area. This I duly got, flight allowed at my local park not above 200', with one hour's notice of intended flight.

200' should be good enough for a DLG launch. If my maths are not too scratchy then 50m is 165'. I certainly can't throw that high :D

I may need to carry telemetry though to set an alarm for say 175' so I don't infringe my service ceiling if I do catch a thermal. Would that be ok? I know telemetry is forbidden but this is to be used to prevent overflying my allowed limit.

Tony H 

Paul Gleeson

Telemetry is only forbidden in competitions. 
Using it to stay within the law is a good thing to do. 

• Thanks 1

SilentPilot

Great stuff! Thanks :)

tonym

The only telemetry that is a problem is a vario - battery condition, Rx signal warnings, height limit alarms, etc.  are not a problem and should even be encouraged.

SilentPilot

Kinda makes sense!