tonym

F3K and Mozzy 14-day challenges 2020

terryspence

Beautiful sunny day on Yorkshire looked very promising but the best I could do with the Elf was 36 seconds. Oh well 

Happy New year to all.

Terry.

Simon Jones

Hi All,

I've not posted for a while but thought I would send in my best flight from this afternoon.  I managed an 8.40 in light lift which took me to only around 250ft - a small Hobby/ Marlin helped signal the thermal I hooked up with which was nice.  The local kites couldn't be bothered by the look of it as I didn't see any in the air. 

The Snipe I was flying has turned 8 years old now and seen a lot of action- it has a few battle scars but is still enjoyable to fly.  

Simon Jones, F3K, 8 mins 40 secs, 19.01.20.

• Like 2

mikef

Hello Simon, good to 'see' you here.  Must have been a strong thermal to get a Marlin up there!

7A4F7B52-EE1E-49C5-BB14-336188AE55BA.jpeg

• Haha 4

tonym

Great to hear from you @Simon Jones

New format for recording the challenges, just this thread with the 1st post being updated with all challenge winning times. If it works I'll keep it - if not it'll be back to separate threads.

cirrusRC

Hi Simon - great to see you back on the forum.   Hope you are well.

Was a joy to get out at the weekend - finally some high pressure and my first proper fly since October.       Quite breezy on Saturday but air active.    Managed to hook up 2 thermals and do a 12:27.     Got out yesterday too for an hour.   Much calmer but air less active,   lift super light and fizzled out double launch height.    Managed a 12:20 with my lighter NXT.

Just nice to get out and fly really.

cirrusRC

First flyable day since January!!!    Breezy but warm in the sun and some nice lift kicking off the trees downwind.      Visibility was really poor a long way downwind - or I need new glasses.    Started a 5x2 task but started to enjoy the lift so carried on.      Hooked up some nice low level lift with 2 red kites and managed to out climb them - my camera battery died so didn't capture it.

Roll on spring!

image.thumb.png.fb05bdd211d676277782daa750c5eb24.png

David | Pink NXT | 26 minutes  |  6th March 2020

• Like 2

tonym

Nice one David.

I went out one day early in the week when the weather was OK - some sun and just a light breeze. Didn't do better than 1:45 and then the sky clouded over and it became a different day - cold, poor air and not so nice - so I bailed and went back home.

I've added two new classes - Sportsperson F3K and Sportsperson Mosquito. It's all very well 'us' experts getting long flights but it may be disheartening to the many sports flyers out there thinking 'I can't beat that!' So Sportspeople, when the weather improves, lets see some times.

Expert = pilots that fly (or have flown) thermal duration contests - F3x & F5x classes, eSoaring, Kent leagues, Bartletts Leagues, etc.
Sportsperson = everyone else 🙂

• Like 2

tonym

Took the opportunity to have an hour at the recreation field. Nice buoyant air a few thermals, one that gave me:

TonyM | expert | Mosquito | Hawk Mini | 4:48 | 13th March

tonym

Today I spent a lovely hour in splendid isolation in a friend's back garden - aka Fred's polo fields.

TonyM | expert | F3K | XXLite | 5:39 | 25th March

2014812136_2020-03-2512_09_36.thumb.jpg.5a46a9487bab971d9c77dc7da7330122.jpg

cirrusRC

Yes it was lovely wasn't it.    Breezy but lots of strong lift.         Looks like Mr Stern has been out this week too.

What are you feeding that DLG Tony? ;)

• Like 1

tonym

'Medicinal Compound' David - invented by Lily the Pink 🙂

• Haha 1

MikeDLG

I have been out, had some lovely flying. I did a couple of 10min flights, but I think you are supposed to report flights within a day for the 14day challenge?