Baldyslapnut

Going to try something new in 2020

Baldyslapnut

In the past couple of years GPS Triangle Racing has been growing in popularity in Europe and the UK . Bernie from esoaring gadgets has posted information about the class on here before. 

However, I know some people feel the two classes currently run make the competition out of reach of many pilots. This year that will change with the introduction of a class for models sub 4 metres in span. This will allow people to try GPS triangle racing with a F5J model. Or similar.

So we thought it may be worthwhile getting a forum section together so people can share their thoughts and experiences.

Before the decision to introduce a sub 4 metre class I had already decided to have a go at the Sportsman Class and there is a model on it's way from Baudis as we speak. It will be a big learning curve for me and I plan to document my trials and tribulations here so people can learn from my mistakes. Which I am sure will be many.

Hopefully some of the guys who are more expert at GPS Triangle racing will post here. Giving us the benefit of their knowledge.

As soon as the plane arrives I will get posting on my progress.

Greg

• Like 1

John Greenfield

Hi Guys

I have been flying GPS Triangle racing since the very early days back in 2011 and compete in the Open and Sport classes. I have also run several training camps around the world to assist anyone interested in trying this type of flying . The next training weekend is 18 / 19th April at the BMFA National Centre, Buckminster. At this training event we will have loan GPS equipment available so you can have a go without first purchasing the necessary kit. All you need is a glider that you are comftable flying and a spare channel in your receiver or a "Y" lead in your power supply (Max 6 volt) that the very small airbourn kit can plug into. For the training weekends you do not need a glider which specifically fits any class, it is more about learning and understanding what this type of flying is all about

I wrote an explanation of GPS Triangle racing in the June 2019 issue of BMFA news and also RCM&E last year which would be a good starting reference for anyone interested in having a go. There is also a new Facebook Group ( UK GPS Triangle Racing Group) please feel free to join.

If anyone has any questions about this type of flying  I will be more than happy to try to answer your questions if you post them on here or the facebook group.

John Greenfield

• Like 2

John Minchell

I went to the one John & Bernie Jones ran last year at Baldock and it is well worth the effort in attending, with a mix from very experienced to beginners.   I used an old, much damaged and repaired (ie heavy) Valenta Thermik XXXL and had a ball.  To my benefit and not his, I was teamed up with Simon Thornton, so I learnt a lot about thermal soaring and trimming for hands off thermal turns.  All in all a great experience with a proper course to aim at (instead of just following a thermal downwind) and lots to learn about tactics and how to fly the task.  Quality banter and good company for an exellent weekend, everyone has some sort of model that would do, as the airborn GPS gear is about the size of couple of oxo cubes.  The new gear for the F5J models is even smaller.

John M

• Like 1

Baldyslapnut

John and John thank you for the information.

I have put the 18th and 19th in my diary.

Greg

simon_t

GPS Triangle ‘Light’ Class provisional rules:

C083FD75-0B21-4700-904C-2310BE334A46.jpeg

• Like 1

steveburns

I’ve been looking at this a bit since Greg came over the other day. Looks interesting and now some details of the light class which I already have a couple of suitable airframes for but It seems such a shame the speed task has been dropped.

steve

satinet
10 minutes ago, steveburns said:

I’ve been looking at this a bit since Greg came over the other day. Looks interesting and now some details of the light class which I already have a couple of suitable airframes for but It seems such a shame the speed task has been dropped.

steve

I guess it's to encourage participation from the popular f5j class. I'll not sure everyone would want to do speed tasks with those models. It is like launching g-forces.  It's pretty clear many f5j pilots don't want to fly high speed high g like f3j launching. So i think it's sensible. 

Despite the weight limit of 3kg I'm not sure an electric 3m f3b model wouldn't out fly most f5j models in a distance task. 

Looks like fun anyway. 

John Greenfield

Hi Guys

The speed round as flown in the Sport class requires a very different flying style and is not really applicable to the ethos of the "light" class. The speed round has been dropped from the 1/3rd Scale class and it may well be in the future that it also disapears from the Sport Class.

Dont get to hung up on the thought of F5J models as any model which meets the class specification is eligible. If you think  a 3m f3b model will do well, come along to one of our meetings and give it a go (as long as it meets the clas requirements).

AEB

• Like 1

Ville56

Hello.
Unfortunately, here in Sweden, there are no pilots, (that I know of) who have expressed interest in GPS Triangle, but I have bought new equipment, Sparrow and Finch from Rc-Electronics. Unfortunately, my old Weatronic SkyNavi App equipment is not allowed to compete with anymore, but I will keep it in one model.

It will be exciting to see if 433 MHz is more stable and reliable than the 2.4 GHz systems was. Now I don't think range will be any problem in the Light Class, but it remains to be seen. Will mount the new system in an F3J converted Egida that I used for F5J.

Albatross App as sole navigation system from the 2020 season on.

/Ville 😀

Edited by Ville56
Adding info!

DaveH

This sounds interesting.     I'd think of using my 4m F5J model (which is on the heavier side of the current norm) in other comps.

For an F5J model, how will they launch and what max distance from the pilot can be expected?   

Dave.  

f3fisa
20 hours ago, DaveH said:

For an F5J model, how will they launch and what max distance from the pilot can be expected?   

Dave.  

You need to get to 200m altitude before starting the course although it doesn't matter how long you take to get to that altitude.

Maximum distance from you, should be no more about 200m and maximum height at launch should be no more than 200m.

The worst case for visibility would be about 250m distance and 350m altitude.

I would say for an F5J model the heavier the better as you are looking at best glide angle not maximum duration, remember you only have 20 mins flight time once on the course.

I think until a few people start competing using F5J models you will not know the best tactics.

David

• Like 1

DaveH

Thanks for the info..     I read that the speed task will be dropped for this class, what other tasks are there likely to be?   

Dave.  

Baldyslapnut

Hi Dave, 

The remaining task is a distance task. So as many laps of the course as possible over 20 minutes for the Light Class and 30 minutes for the Sportsman's Class.

So unless there is lift all over the course a f5J plane will not stay up for 20 minutes from a 200 metre launch height. The skill of the task is to use lift and speed to get as many laps in as possible.

Greg

Baldyslapnut
22 hours ago, DaveH said:

This sounds interesting.     I'd think of using my 4m F5J model (which is on the heavier side of the current norm) in other comps.

Dave.  

Hi Dave, being an F5J model I am not sure about your question on launching. What did you want clarify there please.

Greg

DaveH
1 hour ago, Baldyslapnut said:

Hi Dave, being an F5J model I am not sure about your question on launching. What did you want clarify there please.

Greg

Yes, sorry for not being specific.

I wondered if there would be a need to have some kind of high power launch or limited time to get to height. but I've since read (f3fisa's post) that it won't matter how long it takes to get to the starting height.      (Since I posted, I was accepted to join the FB group and found a little more detail there too...).  

Dave.               

(dumb questions are my speciality) 

DaveH

What extra kit (GPS & RF link) will be typical for an F5J type entrant?    (I read that there is kit that integrates with JETI, but what of non Jeti radios).

Is the GPS data (position/speed/height) monitored by a timer/helper, the pilot or other... 

Dave.  

Baldyslapnut

Hi Dave,

All really good questions. 

I am only just starting out on this so I am not an expert.

Plus there have been some good changes recently in the products available for doing the telemetry.

Bernie at e-soaringgadgets stocks most of the items required. You can check out the link below:

https://www.esoaringgadgets.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&manufacturers_id=3

The manufactures web page is here:

https://www.rc-electronics.eu/

The Finch and Sparrow plus the app would be the ideal set up for a F5J plane. 

Yes you can have a caller help you and a tablet or phone showing the course and position height etc.

The idea is much of the information required is transmitted to an ear piece as fly.

I am sure the experts will give us more information. If live in Manchester I would highly recommend yo consider attending the training weekend at Buckminster in April.

Some you tube clips to show you some flying>

John Minchell

Dave H

Bernie at E Soaring Gadgets is the man for all the GPS gear.  My older stuff was £600+ for the airborn gear and ground station 5 years ago, but the newer gear for the F5J "LightClass" models you can get for about £250 for everything (but don't quote me- just from memory). 

Basically you can have a navigator who will hold the ground station and see where your model is relative to the course on a monitor. Or you can do it all yourself but that way you have to take your eyes off the model to look at the screen and then re-focus on distance to re aquire your model - much more risky.  You have an earpiece which verbally tells you vario tones, what height, how far off the course you are (it says 10m Inside or 20m Inside) meaning inside the triangular course, so you need to turn right to regain the course. OR it will say 10, 20, 30m etc Outside the course, meaning you turn left to regain the course.  The triangle is always flown in Left Hand circuits or anti clockwise.  You also get a count down to the turning point in metres and a bell when you are there, so you turn to head for the next turn point.  All the while you need to find where the thermals are and decide on the balance between pushing on for a lap, or staying in the thermal. OR do a lap and find the same thermal off the course, regain height and fly back to the course for another lap.  Sounds complicated but is great fun and a real challenge.  Tactics play a large part, but for beginners like me, it is enough to learn how to fly the course and use all the info coming into the earpiece as well as the guidance of the helper/navigator who can keep tabs on the opposition and help you fly the course more accurately.

John M

• Like 1

DaveH

Thanks for the info guys.   

The videos show the ground-stations in use, very techy.  

The models coming in to land look heavy and come in hot!  You mean these things can climb in a UK thermal!  (and yet my 600g 2m job struggles).  

It will be good to see them in action.    

Thank you for answering my questions....  one more:   where do you fly?  

Dave.    

John Greenfield

Hi All

There still seems to be a little confusion as to what GPS Triangle flying is all about. I produced articles in RCM&E and BMFA news last year explaining in detail all about GPS flying but for those of you who may not have seen them I have published the text of the articles on my website.

http://www.ghostsquadron.co.uk/gps_triangle_racing.html

Please note that the articles were written before the introduction of the "Light Class" but apart from the start height,start speed and course size, the principals are exactly the same. Have a read as it may help to explain what this form of flying is all about.

I have just come in from my first flying session trying the Light Class. It was blowing a gale directly across the course so the leg from turn 3 to 1 was in a 90 deg cross wind. I was flying a brand new untrimmed Valenta Ray X and easily made 3 laps. Once on the course, flying the smaller model on a smaller course than the Sport class, it all felt very familiar and in the poor conditions, 3 laps is all I would have expected with my Sport model.