GPS Triangle Flight & Ground Equipment Setups, Hints & Tips

simon_t

This thread is to help illustrate equipment setups.  I am in the process of writing a setup guide for ground and airborne equipment, based around the current equipment available from RC-Electronics.  This will show equipment hook-ups, how to set up and customise the flight and ground systems, how to set up telemetry and servo outputs from your Tx to control Start/Restart of the course.  Also setup of the Albatross app.  Once done I will include the guide in here as a PDF file.  For now, here are some of the three setups that I will focus on (one requires Jeti system, the other two can use any suitable RC gear).  Please feel free to add comments in this thread, including any topic areas that folks want covered.

Simon

466BD197-A374-41CA-AA88-9E9893D70DC7.thumb.png.4b0fdaf2ca30a7441923555100925cec.png

367F9E37-DA41-4197-934F-3D337206A94A.thumb.png.51991f5e9d032ec1c861362cf9b4a8d6.png

24DF602F-CC99-49FA-84AD-710ACEDFD404.thumb.png.9902c3d68b15a6d6162e16f57458d5a1.png

• Like 1

John Greenfield

Dave

With the Sparrow RF module connected to Sparrow, this talks directly to either a Snipe or Finch ground station. This means you can use any make of radio as it does not use the radio's telemetry to transmit the signal. Using the RF module the system does seem to update faster than when using the Jeti telemetry, especially is you are also using other Jeti telemetry at the same time.

With either system, you can use the transmitter to control the Start/Restart and Albatross pages.

I know this all sounds a bit confusing but Simons drawings above do make it clear, especially if in the second and third options you ignore the Jeti transmitter and receiver and substitute it for your own make of radio. I think Simon only had pictures of Jeti radio to use !!!!

AEB

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John Greenfield said:

Using the RF module the system does seem to update faster than when using the Jeti telemetry, especially is you are also using other Jeti telemetry at the same time.

AEB

John, have you tried the option in Sparrow  of using Compressed Jeti protocol? (claimed 100Hz rate).  This doesn’t allow the Sparrow data to be displayed on the Jeti Tx though, but it is all available on Albatross.

For clarity, I will probably modify my example setups in the first post to be more generic for the RC where Jeti is not required.  Hopefully all will be clearer when I get the full document out with lots of illustrations, although it will probably run to about 20 pages.

Simon

• Like 1

I have updated the three drawings in the first post to better indicate that two of the schemes do not require Jeti system RC, and that the audio comes direct from the Snipe unit rather than the Android Tablet.

Simon

9 minutes ago, Harry Peberdy said:

Thanks for the information chaps what sort of money are we talking about.

Harry

Not cheap unfortunately, but there is a lot of development cost in the various bits and a very small production run compared to, say, a smartphone:  If you have Jeti and use the telemetry, you can join in relatively cheaply:

https://www.esoaringgadgets.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=138_139

Simon

Putting together a proper ’Ground Station’ ready for practicing and the new season, based on a camera tripod, Snipe, Samsung Tablet, Backup powerpack and Smart Switch. The tablet is angled towards the ground to avoid direct sunlight/reflections - time will tell if it needs additional shielding. The tablet is above head height, so optimum position if you do need to look at it during flight, although mostly the intention is to use the 2D audio.

Simon

A6493F71-CE96-45C8-967A-2E3A94343310.thumb.jpeg.0ca3fb9946a4967f51bda06017996a47.jpeg

45A6DFF3-4601-4FED-B369-F81785B89650.thumb.jpeg.66fa7c11f0b9ad984f167c2b7b36413c.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Harry Peberdy

I have also have a DS24 I do wonder if this does not compromise the RF signal from the Jeti as you are blocking where the arials are ?

No, no blocking of any RF-Signal.

With my Alpina and my Vortex I am flying in distances of about 3/4mile without Problems.

The main issue for a weak RF-Range is normally  the placement of the receiver antenna.

Harry Peberdy

Thanks for coming back to me I presume you meant three quarters of a mile I have been flying radio for over 55 years and I do have to say I would expect a nine volt battery and a peace of wet string would do that far.

I was asking out of interest about some distance like at least twice that  ? Which large gliders on a triangle would work .

I am wondering, if you would be able to see your Plane in 1.5mile distance :).

The Signal Quality in this distance was logged with 80%, so that there is enough headroom. I never had any issues with an RF-Level above 20%. Below this level there is the possibity of a package loss. Fail-Safe is far below this level.

I am flying mainly Vortex Mach1 and Calvados in SportsClass and ASG29 in 1:3.

So 3/4 of a mile is double the distance you normally need for SportClass flying! Additionally I never had any issues with Jeti back channel in GPS flying.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi,

I am looking to fit out my Scirocco now that I have all the equipment ready.

I believe the air speed probe (TEC Probe V tail) is best fitted under the wing through the fuselage. 

Any advice (Photos) of the installation would be great. Where to fit etc

https://esoaringgadgets.co.uk/rc-electronics-tec-probe-v-tail.html

Thanks, David

Baldyslapnut

Hi David,

There are two nozzles. A speed nozzle and the TEK probe.

You copied the link for the TEK nozzle. This is used for energy compensating vario. 

Attached is a picture showing the best location if you are using a fuz based nozzle and links to fitting kit which shows you how most people fit the Tek nozzle.

https://www.schambeck-luftsporttechnik.de/TEK-Sockel-gewinkelt-V1

If you are on Facebook I would suggest you join the UK GPS Triangle Racing Group and ask people for pictures of their set ups as well.

Regards

Greg

IMG_5085.jpg