DLG near Derby?

AndyT

Evening all, 

Just wondering if there's anyone near Derby flying F3K or any recommendations for local clubs or flying sites with an active gliding membership? I'm just getting back into the hobby after a 10 year absence (I used to do a lot of F3J back in the day) and it would be good to have someone to laugh at me when I take my first foray into slinging my highlight into the air (or ground, if it all goes wrong!) 😂 

Best regards,

Andy. 

• 1 month later...

Andy,

I am based in Chapel-en-le-frith which is a good   hour drive from derby, but I work near Ripley so could meet one evening when the light gets better.  Sorry can’t  help with any local clubs or fields.

Mike c

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Neil and Mike. Maybe we can get together once the madness is over. 

I had my first ever DLG session a couple of days ago in the park next to my house amd managed about 20 (gentle) launches without breaking anything. I can see myself getting hooked on this! :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I am in Belper and have just brought a MiniDart DLG, would be good to see how other people fly theirs. Have managed a few launches but finding everything a bit twitch.

Tom

• 2 months later...
On 03/04/2020 at 20:32, tomc said:

Hi

I am in Belper and have just brought a MiniDart DLG, would be good to see how other people fly theirs. Have managed a few launches but finding everything a bit twitch.

Tom

On 27/01/2020 at 18:39, AndyT said:

Evening all, 

Just wondering if there's anyone near Derby flying F3K or any recommendations for local clubs or flying sites with an active gliding membership? I'm just getting back into the hobby after a 10 year absence (I used to do a lot of F3J back in the day) and it would be good to have someone to laugh at me when I take my first foray into slinging my highlight into the air (or ground, if it all goes wrong!) 😂 

Best regards,

Andy. 

Hi Andy & Tom

I also live near Derby and am very tempted to have a go at DLG flying, as a change from the sloping that I normally do. I wondered if either of you had found anywhere local that's suitable for flying, or a local club with those facilities? 

One of my old slope friends has offered me a DLG he bought 18 months ago and has only flown once. Only looking to do this for fun, not competitive (too old)!

Hi both,

No, I haven't come across any good flying sites or clubs (to be honest I haven't looked very hard though!). I'm waiting for my local park to get a bit less busy before I venture out again; Covid has turned it from a nice quiet space into the local playground / pub / dating area!

I fly in a field that's behind my house, its small and trees all around it, and turbulent, but it has allowed me to get the hang of things. I've managed to get to the point where I can launch, fly and sometimes catch my 1m DLG to a reasonable level.  I have got through two creased rudders and a broken tail boom so far.

Iv'e also had a few goes at the meadow/playing fields next to Duffield cricket club. I haven't asked for permission, just turn up when its very quiet in the evenings. Its much bigger and less turbulent. Would be keen to meet up with others to compare skills/settings etc.

tom

Thank you both for your replies.

Tom, I know Eyes Meadow in Duffield, never thought of looking there, good idea. I'm guessing at the moment, when the weather's good, it's fairly busy, but I'd definitely like to come over and have a look when you're having a go. I'm just over 5mins away so would be perfect.

Andy, I was looking at the parks in Derby, but thought they were either too busy or too many trees! I know the RR club fly powered aircraft off some playing fields that are closed to the public. I went a couple of years ago to have a look at flying, but never joined. I'm going to take another look in the next few weeks to see if it would be OK for DLGs. I'll let you know what happens.

Richard