tonym

FrSKY G-RX8 won't bind

tonym

I bought a G-RX8 receiver a while back, whatever I try I just cannot get the Rx to bind to my Taranis. Has anyone any ideas of what might be the problem and have any suggestions for me to try. Below are photos of some settings in my Tx, the Rx has an EU LBT sticker on it, I've not flashed the Rx firmware since getting it. my Internal RF options are XJT D16 or XJT LR12. Is XJT right, I don't remember that being there before I updated OpenTx?

I saw the G-RX8 thread below this one, I've watched that YT video several times - wish my Rx bound like his does.

Tony

Manual: G-RX8 ACCST -Manual.pdf

version.thumb.png.0d50a9cd0650b30e496af5320ea5db24.png

options.thumb.png.c4cce80931c7426f59e4580887611c5e.png

rc-soar

Your rx is LBT, and will only work with an internal module with LBT firmware (or with a multi-protocol module).

Unplug any external module and try again. If that doesn't work then sounds like your internal module is FCC, check tx labels and invoice for clues. If so, you'll need to flash the rx with FCC firmware.

cirrusRC

I had similar issue with recent GRX-6, The RX firmware was not as labelled on packaging.  I had to reflash RX firmware to match my internal XJT module firmware.

Sadly no way to verify RX firmware other than reflashing it.

tonym

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I bought my Taranis back in 2015, as I said above, not sure I'd ever updated the RF firmware so might have been firmware from before the EU split. Anyway, there was another update for the G-RX8, that said to update everything else too, so loaded the new RF firmware (EU LBT), updated the Rx and all is well - and my 'D' Rxs still work.

Back to soldering up the CG scale while half watching the rugby (and snooker at rugby half-time).

• Like 1

BigT
On 02/02/2020 at 15:58, tonym said:

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I bought my Taranis back in 2015, as I said above, not sure I'd ever updated the RF firmware so might have been firmware from before the EU split. Anyway, there was another update for the G-RX8, that said to update everything else too, so loaded the new RF firmware (EU LBT), updated the Rx and all is well - and my 'D' Rxs still work.

Back to soldering up the CG scale while half watching the rugby (and snooker at rugby half-time).

I also flashed the latest rx firmware but it still wont bind to my TX and that has the latest EU LBT.  I just flashed the earlier firmware and it now binds. Really cant be botherd flashing all the 20 or so rx I have buried in quads and fixed wing.

Scram
23 minutes ago, BigT said:

Really cant be botherd flashing all the 20 or so rx I have buried in quads and fixed wing.

Therein lies my problem, I'm trying to bind a new S8R Rx to my 2015 T+ which I think is on the 2015_eu firmware for the XJT.  I need the later FCC version.

BigT

So I took my spare X9Plus and installed the new firmware onto the internal XJT module, then flashed a now out of production X4R with the new LBT  firmware. It wouldn’t bind. Now I can’t find the old firmware to reverse the tx flash. I’ve just been told to avoid the new firmware as it has a problem with the telemetry so I won’t be bothering. I love my Taranis, love the price, love the telemetry,  it I never have any issues like this with my  Futaba  SG14, it just works but at a stupid price!

BigT
3 hours ago, Scram said:

Therein lies my problem, I'm trying to bind a new S8R Rx to my 2015 T+ which I think is on the 2015_eu firmware for the XJT.  I need the later FCC version.

Why not just flash both to the  EU LBT?

Scram
4 hours ago, BigT said:

So I took my spare X9Plus and installed the new firmware onto the internal XJT module, then flashed a now out of production X4R with the new LBT  firmware. It wouldn’t bind. Now I can’t find the old firmware to reverse the tx flash.

Did you flash the V2.0.1 firmware.  RC-Soar (Mike S) tells me it is very buggy.

Are you trying to bind in D8 or D16?  Try the other one, whichever did not bind before.

Else maybe one of the earlier earlier versions you can find here:  https://www.frsky-rc.com/xjt/

I believe I have 150413 installed on my X9D+ and it binds to a fairly old X4R in D16 mode, giving me telemetry and another X4R in D8 - no telemetry.

4 hours ago, BigT said:

Why not just flash both to the  EU LBT?

I may have to flash both to LBT as I understand the Tx will still stay bound to the D8 receivers but I would have to re-bind to any on D16 and maybe flash LBT to those Rx's.

ITS A MINEFIELD 🥴

BigT

I think its X4R firmware.  When I power on with the F/S button down I get both lights on so i dont think  its not going into bind mode. OK

EDIT

It was the wrong version of OpenTx on the SD card.  Formatted the card and installed fresh 2.2.2 OpenTx, copied over Amber Sounds, selected model, entered bind mode and RX went into bind mode and then bound with telemetry..  I'll give the Taranis update a miss for now.