Sign in to follow this  
thermaldoctor

Osprey f5j build log 2

thermaldoctor

With the wing pretty much done except for making up a wiring loom i started on the fuselage. Coming from the Ukraine the Osprey features a fuselage and separate tail boom like the original Optimus and Maxa. But in the case of the Osprey the fit of the boom over the fuselage spigot is a nice close tolerance fit with zero slop. This makes it much easier to glue on as it doesnt need jigging all you have to do is make sure the fin and elevator are all square with the wing.

20200210_190831.thumb.jpg.a6d5c0aed8dfc1d0b96cc6fb8e1447b9.jpg

The wing sits on a small pylon which I like as it makes it easier to grip the fuselage for launching in windy conditions. As supplied there is an odd small rectangular cut out for the wing wire plug. No plug is supplied so you can choose your own preferred method. I had a 9 pin D connector lying about so used this. Whatever you decide to do you will need to open up this rectangular cut out to suit. In the wing is a very nice oval CNC cut out for the wing plug so you will not need to cut/file/dremel anything out on the wing which is good news.

20200210_185952.thumb.jpg.79c4187a7e7dbf3d5ac7c9b336918f18.jpg

The fin comes as a separate moulding for easier transportation/shipping and slides over the end of the tail boom. Again it is a very nice tight interference fit so you have the option of keeping it removeable (but you will have to find your own way of fixing it firmly in place in flight such as carbon push-through pegs and tape) or you can simply glue it on. For speed I glued it on. Either way you need to bolt the elevator in place and eyeball it very carefully to make sure the fin is 90 degrees to the elevator. 

At the base of the fin is a nice moulded carbon tunnel for the rudder pushrod. You have to fit the supplied CNC G10 rudder horn but this is easy especially as the fin and rudder are solid core rohacell. Both elevator and rudder pushrods are the familiar Optimus Vladimir style 2mm carbon pushrods in orange plastic tubing. Both elevator and rudder control runs are very free and smooth in the Osprey.

20200210_185937.thumb.jpg.ebc2ac1a436de848fb7872c86ea06a12.jpg

No work needed for the elevator and mounting. The fuselage comes factory fitted with the mounting pylon already in place. Elevator actuation is via a moulded control horn that bolts to the underside of the elevator with 2 small bolts. It is very neat and secure and there are no pokey out bits on the elevator to deal with. In this pic you can see the screw mounts standing proud and these locate into corresponding moulded recesses in the main elevator. The elevator itself is like the fin - rohacell solid core with spread tow carbon skins.

20200210_185845.thumb.jpg.9d71f8016e57606e62e2741d6a33a6ce.jpg

The fuselage comes from the factory already fitted with a strong G10 motor mount. It comes with the central hole in place but you will need to drill it for the gearbox bolt holes. Personally I like the machined metal motor mounts like Graham Wickes (RC Metalbitz) produce better, but this is still pretty good and very well executed. Time will tell how strong it is but G10 material is strong and the mount quite thick (3mm). What I do like is that it is very securely and neatly bonded in place in the mold and then post cured at higher temperature so the glue joint will be very strong indeed.

• Like 1