Surface Deflection Indicator recommedations

Marc RC pilot

Marc RC pilot

Looking for something cheap and cheerful for future setup use other than cardboard and sticky tape :)

Something like this perhaps? (it cost about £15)

image.png.c35a226a68bcfc6b789c9a35589261b5.png

Thanks 

I just use a ruler!

Measure from centre to top and bottom, either eyeball an extended level or tilt the ruler to touch the surface, it doesn’t matter which way you measure as long as you’re consistent. 

We’re only really making sure things are even on either side :)

John Minchell

I'm still using the gauges that came with one of my Stu Blanchard Calypso's 25years ago, a degree protractor printed out and spray glued onto some cardboard.P1010051.thumb.JPG.84cb0cfed56db426d345085d7d1e7f34.JPG

4 hours ago, tonym said:

I suspect degrees could be made to be mm

On the Digitech device you can set the width of the surface at the point where you want to make the measurement, and it will provide the mm equivalent of the angle.

Marc RC pilot

Thanks for all the replies gentlemen, much appreciated.

Such an interesting variety of devices.  The 3D printed ones look really simple and functional, also like the look of the hi-tech solution...

Marc RC pilot

I was lucky enough to get a set of the 3D printed ones from Tony.  Simple no-frills design that does the job. Marvellous. 

Cheers Tony!

👍 

• 2 months later...

I have just had this thread pointed out to me and thought you may be interested in an Arduino based “Deflection Indicator” that I recently made as a “lock down” project. It has proved ideal for setting surfaces on my F5J gliders, partially balancing the Flaps and V-Tails.  It simultaneously measures the movement of a left and right surface, either in degrees or vertical deflection, for +/- 90Deg. 

At a component cost of little more than the commercial mechanical gadgets based on cloths pegs and protractors this project is well within the capabilities of anyone that has a little computer knowledge, a few soldering skills and access to a 3D printer (for the case), ie most modelers.  See attached photos and video (at: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vhifwbmjz46co2z/Throw Meter video 3.mp4?dl=0).   If there is serious interest in this project then I may start a build post. 

Throw meter.JPG

IMG_2561.JPG

• Like 6

9 hours ago, John H said:

I have just had this thread pointed out to me and thought you may be interested in an Arduino based “Deflection Indicator” that I recently made as a “lock down” project. It has proved ideal for setting surfaces on my F5J gliders, partially balancing the Flaps and V-Tails.  It simultaneously measures the movement of a left and right surface, either in degrees or vertical deflection, for +/- 90Deg. 

At a component cost of little more than the commercial mechanical gadgets based on cloths pegs and protractors this project is well within the capabilities of anyone that has a little computer knowledge, a few soldering skills and access to a 3D printer (for the case), ie most modelers.  See attached photos and video (at: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vhifwbmjz46co2z/Throw Meter video 3.mp4?dl=0).   If there is serious interest in this project then I may start a build post. 

Throw meter.JPG

IMG_2561.JPG

Looks very interesting. It's such a drag setting up pairs of surfaces.

• 5 months later...
On 23/05/2020 at 21:40, John H said:

Throw meter.JPG

I would like to make set like this and would be grateful for some pointers please John. I have a pair of mma8452 in my ebay basket. Cheers, Bruce. 

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
chiloschista
On 23/05/2020 at 22:40, John H said:

Throw meter.JPG

IMG_2561.JPG

Yeah, that could be the device I searched for to measure the longitudinal dihedral in a single take. It needs only a bit of 3D printed (or wood cutten) supports.

Thanks!

Ric