2020 F3K LEAGUE Re opened August 8th 2020

mikef

1  Would you attend if it was a contest(s) NOT counted for team selection? Yes

2  Would you attend if it was a two day event? Yes, but very much depends on accommodation availability locally. (Don't suggest camping, it aint happening)

3 Would you attend if it was a one day event? Yes

4  Would you attend if it was just a one-day 'fly-in'. Probably

Any thoughts on how a comp would actually be run given the distancing requirements?

Paul Gleeson

1 yes

2 no

3 yes

4 yes

would be nice to get some flying done

if the majority decision is a 2 day event I will mostly likely just attend one day

Paul

It is looking likely that the August event will go ahead as a ONE day contest on either Saturday 15th OR Sunday 16th.  One day, means less social interaction, especially with non-event related people like restaurants, hotels etc.

I have arranged with Manny at the National Centre, Buckminster, that I will announce the choice of day by midday on Friday 14th.

I am still waiting for guidance as to whether it can count for Team Selection.  Because so few events remain this year, it is possible that the first events next year MAY be taken into account for Team Selection for the proposed 2021 World Championships for F3K.

The normal camping facilities are open at Buckminster.

Special procedures will be announced to mitigate risks due to the pandemic.

• Like 3

I now have confirmation that we can use the rest of the 2020 scheduled events for Team Selection.  We will also use the reserve date so there are 4 events possible this year.

If we complete 4 events, the best 3 count.  (Or it's 2 of 3, 2 of 2.)

We have been given the option of using next Easter (April 2-5) as part of the 2020 league but the weather can be unreliable that early in the year.  That weekend is also only 3 months before the proposed F3K Worlds in Slovakia.  Finalising the Team this year gives more time for preparation and avoids the risk of a 6 month wait for the end of the process and a possible anticlimax.

What do you think?

Stopping this year also...

gives the Team Manager a more straightforward task - he might be in contention for the team if the selection isn't over.

takes the pressure off the Easter 2021 CD whose go/no go  decision on the weather forecast could put people in or out of the team.

I should add that this decision is needed before next weekend - no waiting to see how you do in the first couple before you vote for/against an extension!

I assume despite this weekend going ahead - the Nationals is still cancelled right?    Next comp after this weekend is September?

The Silent Flight Nationals remains cancelled because more than 30 people would meet at Buckminster.

Next F3K event after this weekend is Twywell September 5th.

• Thanks 1

On 08/08/2020 at 12:36, mikef said:

I now have confirmation that we can use the rest of the 2020 scheduled events for Team Selection.  We will also use the reserve date so there are 4 events possible this year.

If we complete 4 events, the best 3 count.  (Or it's 2 of 3, 2 of 2.)

We have been given the option of using next Easter (April 2-5) as part of the 2020 league but the weather can be unreliable that early in the year.  That weekend is also only 3 months before the proposed F3K Worlds in Slovakia.  Finalising the Team this year gives more time for preparation and avoids the risk of a 6 month wait for the end of the process and a possible anticlimax.

What do you think?

There are currently two votes in favour of finishing team selection at the 5th October date and none against.  My instinct is also to do that.

I will announce the decision on Friday before entries close for this weekend's event.

• Like 1

I really don't mind either way, I guess as long as we know before hand.   But finishing this year will make planning easier for everyone involved.  

I think calling it"it" at the end of this year makes sense, we will just have to do what we can under the circumstances. Looking forward to a comp folks.

Thanks for the inputs.

The BMFA league for 2020 will end after the October 3rd contest.

The league positions at that time will determine who is put forward for a place in Team GBR for 2021.

Edit October 5th corrected to October 3rd.

• 4 weeks later...

The league after 2 events is given below.   A reminder of the rule regarding how many events will count for the final league scores : -

"7.5.2.6 Final BMFA F3K League annual results
(a) Final F3K BMFA annual league scores shall be determined by adding the scores achieved in the completed league contests qualifying for the final league results as shown below:
Five or more contests - Best four results from such contests
Four league contests - Best three results from four contests
Three league contests - Best two results from three contests
Two league contests - Best two results from two contests
(b) In the event that more than one competitor achieves the exact same total annual BMFA league score, then a countback system shall be used to determine the final annual BMFA league placings, with a competitors 5th best contest scores being compared to determine who has the higher placing (and 6th best contest scores etc if necessary)."

MF Note:- b) above will be taken to mean the next best results after the designated number have been used.

2020 league.jpg

• Thanks 1