Electric conversion help please

I have been given an old glider it's 3.5m and weighs 2207g it has some old barcs stickers on it dated 1994.

The nose has been cut off in an attempt to start a conversion by my dad but that's as far as he got, can anyone suggest a powertrain for it. The opening at the moment is approx. 34mm 

Dave

Hi Dave

Try Neil Jones at Flightech. He sells brushless drive systems and will give you excellent advice. Drop him a mail or give him a call.

Steve

pete beadle

Hi Bbdave

Is the model all wood, glass with foam wings, or all moulded?

Send a mail or PM to someone like Pete Mitchell(PeteM)  and ask him nicely if he'll put a plane  of 2.2 kilos weight through his "Calc" programme and that will provide you with the size and power of the motor you need, the ESC rating you need, and even the prop size you'll need to use.......then put a "Want Ad" on here for a leccy motor and ESC to the specification you want......it'll probably use a 3s Lipo  and will likely, but not necessarily, be a Turnigy motor:yes:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Photo photo photo  photo , will give us all a clue what kind of model you are talking about  :-)

• Like 1
EssexBOF

A good guide, is 200 Watts per kilo, so 200X 2.2 = 440 watts.

As it has a wooden fuselage, having built several wood electric powered models, there will be not a lot of room for the motor. The cheapest motor I have used is  the Hobbyking/Turnigy SK3 Glider Drive series, but they are 38 mm dia, so need a large area to fit. A  28mm geared motor looks to be the most likely to fit, but they will be more costly.

EssexBOF

As you said that the opening is 34 mm, the Sk3 Glider Drive may well fit, see link below. As the case does not rotate and the wires exit the back of case, this helps over other power sources.At £30 by far the cheapest option. Have used them on several project with good results.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-gliderdrive-sk3-competition-series-3858-4-6-840kv.html?___store=en_us

image.png.b3421907dfcf4ea366e68a3c80adce96.png

• Like 2
Nicholls

I endorse Brian's suggestion have used 2 of which I still have one in my Shadow  with a similar weight to yours.

• 5 months later...
On 04/03/2020 at 12:21, EssexBOF said:

As you said that the opening is 34 mm, the Sk3 Glider Drive may well fit, see link below. As the case does not rotate and the wires exit the back of case, this helps over other power sources.At £30 by far the cheapest option. Have used them on several project with good results.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-gliderdrive-sk3-competition-series-3858-4-6-840kv.html?___store=en_us

image.png.b3421907dfcf4ea366e68a3c80adce96.png

I have just managed to get hold of one of these it's the 510w  version so I hope it'll do the job I'm only a sport flyer and not after blistering performance.

Dave

OK this is what I have I have cleaned up the  nose where it had been cut and have a 40mm aperture for the 38mm motor next i think I'll remove the servos I've already removed the spoiler servo. If I can I'd like to shorten the closed loop so I can mount a smaller servo further back.

15971686379441.jpg.a5bff7c0d17ade20e34bda6a027d9915.jpg

15971685627940.jpg.bc4b84520d07a83b48ad15c70de9f391.jpg

15971685738670.jpg.ce76cf37c0321b30fbb78ec776b78ea3.jpg

20200811_161106

Dave

• Committee Member
PeteMitchell

Thanks for posting the pics Dave. They gave me a bit of a surprise as I recognise the model.  And the British Heart  Foundation logo that I made with Solartrim.

I built it 1992/3. It was my  first build after a  longish spell of serious health problems and because of this I named the model 'Second Chance' with the BH logo.

I think the fus was  one made by  a well known ,at the time, fabricator named Clive Hall and I think it was a Sean Banister design.  If it not then it has to be one made by a prolific modeler from Sheffield and late BARCS member Bernie Henwood. I remember using his moulded fus's for several designs.The wings and tail were my own , the wing airfoils is  SD3021  which was the latest and greatest  back then. I sold it to  a friend Murky Knight and he  continued to fettle  and fly it for many years.

Glad to see its still having fun.

51 minutes ago, PeteMitchell said:

Thanks for posting the pics Dave. They gave me a bit of a surprise as I recognise the model.  And the British Heart  Foundation logo that I made with Solartrim.

I built it 1992/3. It was my  first build after a  longish spell of serious health problems and because of this I named the model 'Second Chance' with the BH logo.

I think the fus was  one made by  a well known ,at the time, fabricator named Clive Hall and I think it was a Sean Banister design.  If it not then it has to be one made by a prolific modeler from Sheffield and late BARCS member Bernie Henwood. I remember using his moulded fus's for several designs.The wings and tail were my own , the wing airfoils is  SD3021  which was the latest and greatest  back then. I sold it to  a friend Murky Knight and he  continued to fettle  and fly it for many years.

Glad to see its still having fun.

I think that's who my dad bought it off i knew Murky he lived at Tattershall must have been early to mid 2000s i moved down here 2010 and dad cleared his garage and gave me it.

Dave