Glider carry bag/backpack recommendations

Marc RC pilot

Marc RC pilot

I'm looking at buying a glider back pack/carry bag for models up to 3.5m wingspan and ideally something I can strap on to back and walk/cycle with.

Any suggestions? 

Something like this perhaps?:

image.thumb.png.2fb1631a6d869fedbe345a4341c60e95.png

Or perhaps a more traditional carry bag?: 

image.thumb.png.a920de37dbda028f9a7820a168cd730b.png

Perhaps other bags like Ice hockey stick bags? (although seems hard to find in 1.60m+ sizes so far...Ideal for 2 metre kits though):

image.png.0ccf0c4e4b987fcfa5f32d5484ea2be2.png

Dakine snowboard bags work well.  Also like for kite-surfing bags.  If you want pukka bags then Hyperflight do them, but start saving...

Simon.  

Marc RC pilot

Nice one Simon. Kite-surfing bags...another brill idea. All of a sudden the world of glider bag possibilities has opened up big time :)

Thank you 

Depending on the budget I highly recommend the aer-o-tec ones. 

Great quality and suits perfectly. Unless like me you're 6ft 3 and there appears to be more trees to hit on the way to the slope than you ever remembered before.

IMG_20190810_111805.jpg

As per simon, dakine bags are pretty good 165cm and with a padded strap helps the shoulders £50 on Amazon 

I use a 3 pole fishing bag. You have to do a bit of a cut and glue on the 3 compartments but, when done the centre zip gives you access to the main compartment for the wings and the two outer compartments protect the fuselages in self contained pockets. 

There is also an umbrella pocket that can hold a 3rd fuzz, two small pockets and 2 large pockets. 

It didn't take long at all to adapt the bag.

20200307_191323.jpg

20200307_191353.jpg

20200307_191416.jpg

Marc RC pilot

Munch, no chance with that happening to me being about a foot shorter than you (without my heels...) :). It looks like a very practical/ergonomic glider specific bag. Thanks

oipigface, that looks like the bees knees. I have sent the maker an email as the links to his site are down. 

Sloper and Brett, defo something I am looking into as it seems that going down this route saves a fair bit of money.

Thank you all for suggestions and links etc, much appreciated.

👍

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brett82 said:

I use a 3 pole fishing bag. You have to do a bit of a cut and glue on the 3 compartments but, when done the centre zip gives you access to the main compartment for the wings and the two outer compartments protect the fuselages in self contained pockets. 

There is also an umbrella pocket that can hold a 3rd fuzz, two small pockets and 2 large pockets. 

20200307_191323.jpg

20200307_191353.jpg

20200307_191416.jpg

Looks just the job Brett. Could you post the link please, if you have it. 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikeb52 said:

Looks just the job Brett. Could you post the link please, if you have it. 👍

I will have to find it, got it off fleebay so I need to find a valid article as I bought mine ages ago.

Think I found either the same one or similar. I can try explain few I did the fuzz pockets in a PM if you like.

I would also suggest lining the main pocket for the wing with corex or something similar to make it a little rigid. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162625567770

On the link I have selected the 160 cm and 3 pocket. Just make sure it's the 3 pocket.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 07/03/2020 at 19:22, Brett82 said:

This looks like a good solution. Do you have a link to the one you bought,

What exactly did you have to cut and glue?

Is the large pocket big enough for a TX?

Thanks, Paul

If anyone wants a bag for smaller models, these are ok especially for less than £18.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100cm-39-120cm-47-Tactical-Hunting-Shotgun-Rifle-Bag-Dual-Padded-Carry-Gun-Case/401336929226?hash=item5d718b8bca:g:~IIAAOSw--hdFSNW

I use them for my Typhoon and Sunbird, the 47" is slightly too short to fit the Typhoon fuse in and zip it up but otherwise is ok. I originally put both the Sunbird and Typhoon in 1 bag but it seemed a bit of a squeeze so bought another bag. The 1m bag would probably have been better for the Sunbird to go in but I ordered another 47" version. The pockets aren't big enough for a TX but if you wanted to do a bit of hike and fly you could fit in a small sandwich style box to hold ballast and you could get a hat, gloves and goggles in, goggles might be a problem depending on their size. They also have a hoop on the back which means you can hang them off a hook on the wall in your hanger. 

• 2 months later...
Marc RC pilot

They seems like really good value wookman; thanks for heads up 👍

Large Turnigy glider backpack

Small Turnigy glider Backpack

image.png.0c728af19c4cebb8e9a09b65ebe531bb.png

image.png.e7716ecf3a7176da682dfff617fbba26.png

Edit: I bit the bullet and ordered a small and large one. P&P (ParcelForce Express 24) the same price weather you order one or two bags.

Edited by Marc RC pilot
Buying info added